is mainland really the best bang for your buck?

leftovermagic84

Reaction score
So I'm tentatively preparing to ask my wife for yet another uke...I've got a soprano and tenor, both laminate from kala, and don't get me wrong, I love them both to death, but I'd like to toe the waters of a solid wood concert this time.
I can't believe what kind of cred mainland mahogany ukes are getting, but I have to ask. Is there a better value than mainland for a solid wood uke? Call it a price point of about 250 because I can't decide between the mainland mahogany or ceder top.
Furthermore, it won't be until April (right after my birthday), but I'll be passing right through Indianapolis, which is just a hop and a skip from mainland headquarters. Give me ammo people, I needs me a new uke! Thanks!:music:

Last edited:
When I think of "bang for the buck" I try to consider the overall cost of ownership. I want instrument that will hold up well in the environment that I plan to use it, is well crafted, sounds great, and has resale appeal should I decide to upgrade. My interpretation of the positive reaction to Mainland that I've read here has to do primarily with a great sounding instrument at a competitive price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if it meet my needs.

It is not hard, however, to also see the great "bang for the buck" that you get with a high end Hawaiian made uke when you consider the overall cost of ownership. Just look at the price of some of those vintage Hawaiian made ukes command. If you are looking for some wife convincing ammo, I'd go down the family heirloom path and go all out!

Now... with that said... when I get a case of UAS all that logic is completely irrelevant :wallbash:

I've heard great things about them, enough to make me really wish I had a mainland soprano.

April? as in April 2010? Ive heard rumors that Mainland will be getting some new models (long before April). You may have all kinds of options by then.

I have a Mainland mahogany concert that I love. It's really pretty and sounds great, (and uke people I've met in real life agree,) so if that's what you want to spend, I really recommend it.

The service was great, too. All of my questions were answered quickly and thoroughly, and I got a strap button installed.

I don't think you're going to do any better in that range.

I recently had my own little eBay gear liquidation to raise money to buy any ukulele I dang well wanted, and I did well enough to get pretty much anything out there. I went to a festival and saw/played some very, very fine instruments, thinking I'd make an informed choice that way. (Oddly, nobody there had a Mainland that I could see.)

I came home and STILL bought a Mainland just on the sheer cred.

Oh, I still WANT a K[_____] (pick a K-brand; I want one of each)--who doesn't? But I'll tell you I am not the least bit disappointed in any way to have kept some of that money and bought a Mainland.

Bang for your buck? It's your buck, but for MY buck: Yeah. Absolutely, and I'll get another one, too. ;)

But I'll tell you I am not the least bit disappointed in any way to have kept some of that money and bought a Mainland.

Bang for your buck? It's your buck, but for MY buck: Yeah. Absolutely, and I'll get another one, too. ;)
My feeling exactly:shaka:

Thank you all so much. I've been pushing pretty hard on this and it looks like a go. Plus Mike was nice enough to invite me down to the big show when I'm through town. I can't wait! Now I have a few months to think decide between mahogany or cedar.

Mainlands, some Ohana and Bushman are all made by the same company in indonesia or china. very similar builds across the brands with minor custom "brand" tweaks. If I can't afford to get the Honu Deluxe Cutaway Tenor I'm lusting after, then I'm probably going to get the bushman jenny cutaway tenor based on the looks and reputation, but also feel confident it will sound good due to having a small USA company that sets them up (much like MGM and Mainland) properly, inspects for problems, etc. I feel comfortable with their credentials (guy who started mainland was laid off from bushman) and if mainland's didn't have the rope look, i'd get that one due to being a little less $$

Is there a better value than mainland for a solid wood uke?
Well, there are equivalent ukes in that price point - Kala, Ohana, Lanikai among them. But you won't go wrong with a Mainland. It's loud, bright and has great sustain. Plus it's light, well made and feels good in the hands.

I have the cedar top. Haven't tried the mahogany, but would recommend a cedar without reservation.​

I've never played either, but I like the look of cedar much better than the mahogany.

Top Bottom