PDA

View Full Version : Help with my 3rd uke PLEASE

phanzo
07-27-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey folks!
(Please skip ahead to post #38 (page 4), as my posts have progressed and changed greatly since this first post. Please post feedback though. I am still in quite a bind, although different from this first post, my decisions have become much tougher and I need whatever help I can get! Thanks for the help!)

I have been scouring the internets the last couple days, preparing for my next purchase and I wanted to get some opinions from the users. I have a Lanikai Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt Concert and I am ready to step my game up to something much better.

I want my 3rd uke to be A/E. I have been looking at Tenors (as would be the natural progression that I have been following...soprano, then concert, now tenor) and want to gather some opinions to help with the decision.

I am looking in the $300-$400 range.

What are the benefits (or differences) between a concert and a tenor? Any brands to avoid? I have been looking at Ponos and Kalas but am not locked on to those brands by any means. I am looking for great quality and am more interested in superior sound vs good looks (I don't have much money, so I want it to be as well spent as possible on a great performing instrument, NOT a great LOOKING instrument!) .

I have read a lot about how solid bodies produce a better sound so I want to go in that direction. Also, how does mahogany compare to other woods (except koa) such as cedar. I am looking at the Mainland ukes page and they have a Cedar that is $50 more than the Mohag....wondering why and what the difference may be (beyond looks)?

Any advice as to brand, wood, size, etc. will be GREATLY appreciated!!

I am planning on buying it from MGM since we don't have any uke retailers here in Phoenix. Please help me get through this tough time of UAS, as this is a decision I don't want to make ALL on my own.

Thanks
Dustin Fanzo

P.S. I read these forums quit frequently (despite my minimal # of posts), so please don't treat me like an uber-noob!! Thanks :cool: :shaka:

Link
07-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Sure you've seen all the praise for Mainland, and the have a tenor w/ undersaddle pickup. They also have mi-si pups available upon request, and I'm sure a few extra bones. My Mainland sounds incredible. It's my workhorse currently, and sounds amazing plugged in to a PA system with the undersaddle pickup. Don't expect an undersaddle to sound amazing plugged in to a guitar amp, unless its an acoustic special amp.

From what I understand, Cedar is brighter and more clear than Mahogany. So which you choose should be based on that. Mine is Mahogany, and it's a really blended, mellow tone compared to spruce or koa. Seems to be more bottom end. There's a deep drone type sound when strumming chords that the Mainland mahog tenor gives, that I like. Very bassy and full(in relation to other ukes, of course). I don't have any personal experience with Cedar.

All solid woods, sealed geared tuners, and good prices. Some of the best prices for all solid wood, actually.

Aside from Mainland, I can fully recommend Fluke. Maybe you can find a local shop that has one and try it, because it has an odd shape that some don't like. Such a loud uke, with awesome tone. Another fully, bassy ukulele. They have many options at fleamarketmusic.com's online store. Usually laminate woods, but they have better tone than most solid ukes IMO.

As far as differences between concert and tenor... they're all pretty obvious. The larger scale = more fretboard to play with. Larger body = a fuller, less bright more mellow tone.

phanzo
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Awesome, thanks! I didnt know what a Mi-Si Pickup was but I looked it up and they seem pretty sweet. Would they sound better (than undersaddle) when plugged in to a guitar amp or do ukes pretty much always sound bad when plugged in to a guitar amp? I have an old Peavey practice amp that I want to play around on and also use it to record DI w/ Pro Tools. Would it sound decent enough to just play around on or whatever, not performing for people or anything...?

As for the Mainland, they are definitely one I am considering. Which do you play? Any differences between the Mohag and Cedar besides looks?

Thanks! :shaka:

phanzo
07-27-2009, 12:58 PM
From what I understand, Cedar is brighter and more clear than Mahogany. So which you choose should be based on that. Mine is Mahogany, and it's a really blended, mellow tone compared to spruce or koa. Seems to be more bottom end. There's a deep drone type sound when strumming chords that the Mainland mahog tenor gives, that I like. Very bassy and full(in relation to other ukes, of course). I don't have any personal experience with Cedar.

Sorry, just realized that you already answered the Ceder vs Mohag question. I apologize for my ignorance.

Anyone else out there with an opinion on the matter, please chip in, as I want to gain as much knowledge of the market before investing this kind of money.

I may not be buying the new one for a couple months (as hard as it is for me to hold off) so please drop any and all knowledge on me!

Thanks!

Link
07-27-2009, 01:11 PM
I edited my first post before you posted that, I think. I play the mahog tenor w/undersaddle pup and difference between cedar and mahog, from my understanding, is cedar is more defined and brighter. Based on that, I prefer the full, deeper more melllow tone of mahog, and it's less expensive too. I have no personal experience with Cedar though.

No ignorance on your part! Ignorance on my part for not reading thouroughly before first posting.

Generally, a/e guitars and ukes sound bad through a normal guitar amp, especially if it is solid state like mine, and like your peavey. With some adjusting of the EQ, it will sound better. It will sound great using a DI, however. Especially with pro tools, you should be able to mold it to sound almost however you'd like. And keep in mind if you play live, most places will have a PA system, and the undersaddle sounds just fine throught hat too.

Mi-si pickups just reproduce the acoustics and the ukulele's original tone better than undersaddle pickups. They're regarded as the best uke pickups from most people. But I dont really have any complaints about my undersaddle when it's plugged in to something appropriate, IE PA or acoustic designed amplifier. I'm sure the mi-si would still sound pretty wierd and tinny when plugged in to a normal solid state guitar amp.

Hope that helps!

seeso
07-27-2009, 01:15 PM
Hi Phanzo.

Here are a few threads to help you understand the different qualities of tonewood:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6475
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5944
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2404

As far as which brand you should get? I would just go to musicguymic's eBay shop and sort by price. Check out the ones he has for $300-$400 and start to narrow it down. Once you've narrowed it down to a few, come back to this thread and ask about those specific 'ukulele.

Other brands for you to check out - Kamoa (which they sell here at UU), Lanikai, Mainland, Flea/Fluke, Ohana.

It's difficult for us to answer such an open-ended general question. Give us more specifics, and we'll be able to help you more.

haolejohn
07-27-2009, 01:47 PM
I know that your mind is almost made up but www.meleukulele.com has some nice (better than mainland and kala and pono IMO) ukes in your range. They are also having their twelth year anniversery sale so prices are lower than normal. Just to let you know I own a three meles, 2 kalas, 1 koaloha. I just ordered a Pono and my next purchase will be a mainland because they do sound good and the price is nice. You are in a good price reange where many good ukes can be found. I know that you are semi-commited to MGM but you should also check out www.ukerepublic.com he carries pono, mainland , kala, and a few more and he's a great guy as well.

Good luck with your purchase.

Boozelele
07-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I have a Bushman Cedar Tone Tenor, a Kala Solid Mahogany Tenor, and a Pono Mahogany Tenor...and I love the sound of the Mahogany much more than the Cedar. People describe the Cedar as brighter, or punchier, and that is a good description. It sounds great when being picked, and definitely louder when strummed. But for me, the mellow, blended, chordal sound of the Mahogany is nicer. But part of that may be that my crappy playing stands out more on the Cedar topped uke. :o

deach
07-27-2009, 04:11 PM
P.S. I read these forums quit frequently (despite my minimal # of posts), so please don't treat me like an uber-noob!! Thanks :cool: :shaka:
LMAO oh the ironing.

phanzo
07-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Thank you all so much for the help!! A lot of good advice and some better things to think about. I think I'll go with a Mohag since what a couple of you described is what I'm hoping to get out of my new one (soundwise).

I will definitely check out the links and all of your suggestions and narrow my decision down. Once I do a bit of narrowing, I will repost here on this thread as to what I have narrowed down to and will ask for your advice from there.

Thanks again to those who have commented, it means a lot to me.

For those who haven't commented, please do so. I am looking for as many opinions as possible so even if someone posted what you are thinking, please post anyway. Any and all suggestions are wanted/needed.

Any more opinions as far5 as pickups go would be a great help as well. Undersaddle only vs Undersaddle w/ Mi-Si. I don't know anything at all about pickups so any info will help tons.

Thanks again. Look forward to hearing more suggestions.

Peace. :shaka:

UkeNinja
07-27-2009, 04:41 PM
oh the ironing.
Gotta keep those creases flat, set your temperature and work from the middle outward.

deach
07-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Gotta keep those creases flat, set your temperature and work from the middle outward.

or let sukie and salukulady do it.

bbycrts
07-27-2009, 08:43 PM
or let sukie and salukulady do it.

:eek:

I think they were each looking into finding their own wives to do that stuff for them...sorry for the OT post...

Back on topic - I had a Pono PTS-E that sounded great - I think you'll do well to look in your price range, but Pono, Mele, Mainland, Ohana, Kala - all have great stuff and should be able to fit your needs somewhere!

phanzo
07-30-2009, 10:58 AM
hey guys,

I'm still looking for your opinions on an acoustic electric, solid body Tenor. Good or bad, the more advice I can get the better.

Anything you can provide will be a big help.

Thanks a lot!

phanzo
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Wanted to update my thread and get some new/different opinions. Yesterday was my birthday and since my girlfriend can't afford a uke that I want, she made me a little jar for a "uke fund" and gave me a check to get me started. I have $165 in it so far. I am also working a lot more now so I want to "beef up" my new uke requirements.

I think I still want a tenor (I def. still want A/E) but my price range has jumped to the $400-650ish range (I currently have a Lanikai Pineapple Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Concert). If I can get something amazing for less, I will, but I want this uke to keep me happy for a couple years and I would rather spend an extra couple bucks now and get a really good one.

I was looking at Ponos before so they are still an option. I want to know what else is out there though in that price range. I'm hoping that with the increase in price, it opens the doors to some better ukes from some of the "better" companies.

Any and all advice/suggestions are awesome. I am looking at MGMs page right now, just browsing at this point. Do you know of any companies that are releasing new models now/soon? I will probably be wanting to buy the new uke in a month or 2, unless there's something I can't pass up.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. If you can help me, awesome, I really appreciate it.

mangorockfish
10-04-2009, 07:04 AM
Two part reply: First, try the Mainland mahogany tenor. I had Mike @ Ukerepublic play a Mainland gloss mahogany concert next to an ebony Pono tenor over the phone for me. He didn't have a Mainland tenor, The Pono was about two-and-a-half times the price of the Mainland and about half the sound. That is to me. I bought the Mainland and will probably buy a Mainland tenor in the near future if I don't get a custom job. Second, there are two types of amps: producers-used for producing sounds from like solid body guitars. Really don't do well with accoustic instruments IMO. Then there are the reproducers which kick up the sound of accoustic instruments, i.e. Fender Accoustasonics (sp) and Strawberry Blondes, etc. My $.02 worth.

StevieC
10-04-2009, 07:38 AM
You should also consider the Mele mahogany tenor. I have one that sounds amazing and plays like a dream.

Pippin
10-04-2009, 08:56 AM
With that updated price range, I'd seriously look at the high-end of Ohana's line or I'd opt for a KoAloha and have something that would be a long-term investment thanks to superb quality and sound.

mailman
10-04-2009, 11:30 AM
I edited my first post before you posted that, I think. I play the mahog tenor w/undersaddle pup and difference between cedar and mahog, from my understanding, is cedar is more defined and brighter. Based on that, I prefer the full, deeper more melllow tone of mahog, and it's less expensive too. I have no personal experience with Cedar though.

No ignorance on your part! Ignorance on my part for not reading thouroughly before first posting.

Generally, a/e guitars and ukes sound bad through a normal guitar amp, especially if it is solid state like mine, and like your peavey. With some adjusting of the EQ, it will sound better. It will sound great using a DI, however. Especially with pro tools, you should be able to mold it to sound almost however you'd like. And keep in mind if you play live, most places will have a PA system, and the undersaddle sounds just fine throught hat too.

Mi-si pickups just reproduce the acoustics and the ukulele's original tone better than undersaddle pickups. They're regarded as the best uke pickups from most people. But I dont really have any complaints about my undersaddle when it's plugged in to something appropriate, IE PA or acoustic designed amplifier. I'm sure the mi-si would still sound pretty wierd and tinny when plugged in to a normal solid state guitar amp.

Hope that helps!

I'm trying to follow this and learn as I go. What does DI mean? :o

phanzo
10-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Here's the wikipedia page for a DI or Direct Input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

It's used a lot in the studio atmosphere as well in live. It has a lot of uses. I work in hotel/resort audio/visual and I use it almost everyday to play audio from a computer out of our PA system.

Hope this helps!

eleuke
10-04-2009, 12:05 PM
I picked up my Pono PTO-CE new for $450. It's no eye candy but it certainly sounds sweet. Very good, (but not perfect) intonation all the way up the neck. I'm partial to mellow resonance rather than plinky brightness and my Pono gives me that. The undersaddle pickup is not all that great, though. In fact it sounds like a completely different instrument when it's plugged in. I just use mics now. Hope that helps...

phanzo
10-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Wanted to update my thread and get some new/different opinions. Yesterday was my birthday and since my girlfriend can't afford a uke that I want, she made me a little jar for a "uke fund" and gave me a check to get me started. I have $165 in it so far. I am also working a lot more now so I want to "beef up" my new uke requirements.

I think I still want a tenor (I def. still want A/E) but my price range has jumped to the $400-650ish range (I currently have a Lanikai Pineapple Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Concert). If I can get something amazing for less, I will, but I want this uke to keep me happy for a couple years and I would rather spend an extra couple bucks now and get a really good one.

I was looking at Ponos before so they are still an option. I want to know what else is out there though in that price range. I'm hoping that with the increase in price, it opens the doors to some better ukes from some of the "better" companies.

Any and all advice/suggestions are awesome. I am looking at MGMs page right now, just browsing at this point. Do you know of any companies that are releasing new models now/soon? I will probably be wanting to buy the new uke in a month or 2, unless there's something I can't pass up.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. If you can help me, awesome, I really appreciate it.

Just wanted to update the thread a little bit with an additional detail:

I am also open to getting a concert size. I have a concert right now and I really like the size of it. And from my researching, it seems like I may be able to get a better quality concert for the same price as a "lesser-quality" tenor. If you have an input on that, then please let me know (whether or not that is true, or your suggestions).

I have been told that I may be better off, at this point, going with a really high quality uke now, since it is pretty much inevitable that I will be wanting one eventually. So if you have a suggestion for a really good concert (as well as a tenor, still) then please help me out. This is a BIG decision for me so any and all suggestions will help a lot!

Thanks
Fanzo

phanzo
10-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Mainland tenor now with mi-si pickup? or save money and get a high end (KoAloha, etc.) around Christmas time? What would you do? WWYD? :confused:

mailman
10-05-2009, 02:39 PM
Here's the wikipedia page for a DI or Direct Input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

It's used a lot in the studio atmosphere as well in live. It has a lot of uses. I work in hotel/resort audio/visual and I use it almost everyday to play audio from a computer out of our PA system.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the link! As I'm completely new to amplified instruments, it was all Greek to me. Hardly understood a word of it. But I do appreciate your effort to help....

funkyuke
10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
I've been playing the kala brand A/E tenor ukulele for a couple years. the pickup is passive (9V battery) and has only now started to get faulty, due to my drunken jams probably, an easy fix for the local store. but that's in the $300-$400 price range your lookin at.

For all the more experienced players, i'm looking to step up and get a more expensive A/E ukulele that really kicks ass for around $1000-1500. Ko'olau looks like they have some nice ones but there isn't anywhere i can find to play one around LA, and i've bought enough instruments to know you should play before you buy. I've never played with an active pickup but it sounds intriguing, any major differences in the sound. i enjoy playing classic songs to adding a wah and fuzz and making weird noises. let me know your thoughts guys. aloha!

phanzo
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
I've been playing the kala brand A/E tenor ukulele for a couple years. the pickup is passive (9V battery) and has only now started to get faulty, due to my drunken jams probably, an easy fix for the local store. but that's in the $300-$400 price range your lookin at.

For all the more experienced players, i'm looking to step up and get a more expensive A/E ukulele that really kicks ass for around $1000-1500. Ko'olau looks like they have some nice ones but there isn't anywhere i can find to play one around LA, and i've bought enough instruments to know you should play before you buy. I've never played with an active pickup but it sounds intriguing, any major differences in the sound. i enjoy playing classic songs to adding a wah and fuzz and making weird noises. let me know your thoughts guys. aloha!

Yea, as I mentioned before, I have up'd my price range to $500-600 for now. I am debating whether or not to buy one in that range within the next month or to save a bit more money and just get one in the $900 range. Something like a KoAloha or Ohana, etc. That's really what I would prefer to do (since I will want/need one eventually) but I am so anxious to get a new one that I may buy a less expensive one. That's where I need your input. I really want to try a Mainland Tenor but there is nowhere here in Phoenix that sells them (go figure). I'm thinking either a Mainland or Mele now, or resist the temptation, save more money, and buy a KoAloha in December/January.

What do you think? :anyone::

bbycrts
10-05-2009, 05:01 PM
OK. Patience appears to be a virtue for you, since you're sitting on the cash and still haven't pulled the trigger...I think you should wait until you have enough cash saved up to get one of the K models - Kamaka, Kanile'a (my preference), KoAloha, Ko'olau.... You're in the mode of gradually upping your price range anyway, so face facts - this is really where you're headed.

phanzo
10-05-2009, 05:17 PM
OK. Patience appears to be a virtue for you, since you're sitting on the cash and still haven't pulled the trigger...I think you should wait until you have enough cash saved up to get one of the K models - Kamaka, Kanile'a (my preference), KoAloha, Ko'olau.... You're in the mode of gradually upping your price range anyway, so face facts - this is really where you're headed.

Yea I know, I know. I really want something new (My Oscar Schmidt OU-5 hasn't been doing the trick for me for many many months now) right now but I'm gonna end up wanting (and by wanting, I mean needing) one of the "K brands" a year from now. So I will probably end up waiting, fighting the urge, day in and day out.

My issue is, once I get to the $900 range, what brand do I go with? That is the question, my friends. Now I need as many opinions as possible in regards to the "K brands" bc I have never even seen one in person, let alone played one. Any and all input is greatly GREATLY appreciated.

And I will still be getting an A/E so pickup suggestions will be much need as well.

Thanks all. We'll make this a joint shopping experience :cheers:

bbycrts
10-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Well...the advice on the question as to "which" K will probably come down to something like this:

2 people will say "KoAloha!"
1 person will say "Why spend that much money? I have a Mahalo and love it!"
2 more people will say "KoAloha!"
1 person (me) will say "I'm a Kanile'a whore - they're the best!"
2 to three people will say "KoAloha!"
1 person will say "I know you said you wanted a K model, but check out G-String!"
1 person will say "Kamaka IS ukulele - there's no point in spending that kind of money if you don't buy a Kamaka."
1 person will say "Kamaka may have the name, but they're not what they used to be if you ask me."
1 person will say "I think you should just save longer and get a Moore Bettah."
1 person (me again) will say "Sigh. One day I will have a Moore Bettah."
2 more people will say "KoAloha!"

After that the whole thing may start over again, with various patterns of response but always following the above formula pretty closely.

bbycrts
10-05-2009, 06:44 PM
Sorry for the tongue-in-cheek, Phanzo...what I really meant to say was, you'll get a lot of responses, probably more in favor of KoAloha than others, but in the end, ANY of the K brands are QUALITY ukuleles that you can be very very proud of. If you can, check out sound clips on YouTube (Ken Middleton has a couple of fantastic Kanile'a reviews, and you'll find lots and lots of others) and then call a reputable dealer who can select the best one for you. I got my Kanile'a soprano from MGM and it's superb. I got my Kanile'a concert from Honolulu Craigslist and it blows me away all the time. Not that you'll never go wrong with a K - but it will be rare.

phanzo
10-06-2009, 04:45 PM
I went and played some ukes at the local (and only) shop here in Tempe today to get a feel for what the "K brands" sound and feel like. I played around on about a dozen different ukes. Couple KoAlohas (including the Pineapple Sunday, which was quite delightful), a couple Kanile'a, Collings, and a Pono.

I enjoyed the Pineapple Sunday and the KoAloha tenor very much but I think that the Kanile'a Super Concert has a sound that is more to my liking. The KoAloha's were a bit higher in pitch whereas the Kanile'a K1-SC was plenty loud but had a much more mellow tone, sounding better when struming (which is what I do 90% of the time).

With that being said, I am still not 100% sold on saving and spending the extra money on these instruments. I am still infatuated with the idea of trying a Mainland Tenor and I am worried that I may be spending too much on an instrument that wont be used to it's full potential (due to my playing ability). My gut tells me that I may be just as well off with a Mainland as I would be with the Kanile'a or KoAloha. Maybe I'm just not confident enough but I feel like my playing ability isn't up to snuff with the quality of product the K brands produce and that for what I need the instrument for, a Mainland will be perfect.

One the other hand, I dont want to get a Mainland, now, and be back on here a year from now debating which "K brand" to get bc I have grown complacent with my Mainland. You know what I'm sayin?

Are the KoAlohas and the Kanile'a REALLY that much better? Are they TRULY WORTH twice the amount of money? What is you opinion of the Pineapple Sunday? Would you buy one if you could get it for, say, $900?

I need your help people! :anyone: The further I delve into this process the more advice I need. And I know that everyone has a slightly different opinion, but with you opinions combined (I am Captain Planet) I will be able to make the move and decide what I want to do. Please help, I'm begging you.

Thanks again, as always. :shaka:

UkuleleHill
10-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I went and played some ukes at the local (and only) shop here in Tempe today to get a feel for what the "K brands" sound and feel like. I played around on about a dozen different ukes. Couple KoAlohas (including the Pineapple Sunday, which was quite delightful), a couple Kanile'a, Collings, and a Pono.

I enjoyed the Pineapple Sunday and the KoAloha tenor very much but I think that the Kanile'a Super Concert has a sound that is more to my liking. The KoAloha's were a bit higher in pitch whereas the Kanile'a K1-SC was plenty loud but had a much more mellow tone, sounding better when struming (which is what I do 90% of the time).

With that being said, I am still not 100% sold on saving and spending the extra money on these instruments. I am still infatuated with the idea of trying a Mainland Tenor and I am worried that I may be spending too much on an instrument that wont be used to it's full potential (due to my playing ability). My gut tells me that I may be just as well off with a Mainland as I would be with the Kanile'a or KoAloha. Maybe I'm just not confident enough but I feel like my playing ability isn't up to snuff with the quality of product the K brands produce and that for what I need the instrument for, a Mainland will be perfect.

One the other hand, I dont want to get a Mainland, now, and be back on here a year from now debating which "K brand" to get bc I have grown complacent with my Mainland. You know what I'm sayin?

Are the KoAlohas and the Kanile'a REALLY that much better? Are they TRULY WORTH twice the amount of money? What is you opinion of the Pineapple Sunday? Would you buy one if you could get it for, say, $900?

I need your help people! :anyone: The further I delve into this process the more advice I need. And I know that everyone has a slightly different opinion, but with you opinions combined (I am Captain Planet) I will be able to make the move and decide what I want to do. Please help, I'm begging you.

Thanks again, as always. :shaka:

If you want the Mainland that much, why not get it? I have heard rave reviews of them. Its up to you, but I would hate for you to get one of the more expensive ones, and end up not liking it in the end...

phanzo
10-06-2009, 06:37 PM
I have heard nothing but good things about Mainlands as well.

I have also grown overly infatuated with the KoAloha Pineapple Sunday and at the price that my guy offered it to me, I would be a fool to turn it down. I'm not sure if it fits my style of playing (I am more of a reggae/strumming guy and everyone I see playing it is more of a "finger-style player). The benefit to buying the PS is that the resale value would be greater than or equal to the purchasing price and that is just REALLY hard to turn down. I'm sorta waiting for someone to tell me something terrible about the Pineapple Sunday to end my infatuation but I just dont see that happening. Everything I have read and seen are good, good things. Only time will tell.

I have requested to take the PS home for the weekend, to get some 1 on 1 time with it and see how much I like it. Not sure if my guy will let me take it out of the showroom without the money in his pocket though so we shall see what his response is. :iwant:

Anyway, if you have any opinions on the PS or the Mainland, please, please drop em on me as this decision is getting harder by the minute!

bbycrts
10-06-2009, 08:23 PM
I have heard raves about Mainland - honestly, they seem to be the highest rated "midrange" uke right now in the court of public opinion.

HOWEVER, having gone the route of, "I'll just get what matches my abilities and I'm sure I'll be happy with that," I can suggest that if you have the bug to get a K, you will probably end up with the K. Only question is how many ukes will you buy between now and then. Here's my progression:

Lanikai
Pono
Pono
Kala
Kala
Pono
Ohana
Kanile'a
Kanile'a
Applause
Pono

There were others in there, too - just don't remember the progression very well. My point is, look at all the ukes between the original Lanikai (which cost $89) and the eventual Kanile'as - which though I'm a lousy uke player are sheer beauty to me.

Buy it now or buy it later - I predict you WILL own a K brand ukulele at some point within the next year or two.

phanzo
10-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Buy it now or buy it later - I predict you WILL own a K brand ukulele at some point within the next year or two.

and that's one of my issues right now. I really want a Mainland but if I dont buy a K now, I don't know when I will have the money again to buy one down the road. I can always buy a Mainland further down the road. Maybe in 2 years, I'll finally get my A/E Tenor like I have been wanting.

I have an opportunity, however, to get a KoAloha Pineapple Sunday for a VERY modest price and I also have the money to get a Kanile'a or (a different) KoAloha, if I decide that the Pineapple Sunday just isn't right for me. I have put in a request with my guy to allow me to bring the Pineapple Sunday home for a couple days to sit around and play it for a few hours to really see if it is something and I can see myself owning/playing for many years to come. If I like it, then I wont be able to live with myself if I dont buy. If I dont like it though, then Im back to where I am now, wondering which K brand I want to invest in.

Hopefully I really like the PS and my decision is made easy. :iwant:

Please keep dropping your opinions on me, whether they involve your opinion of Mainlands, or Pineapple Sundays, or any of the other K brand tenor or concert models. Any and everything helps! (I REALLY want opinions from people who have played Pineapple Sundays though bc....... :iwant:

I know, I know. I'm :deadhorse:

Boozelele
10-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Phanzo,

Alright, here is my opinion. YOU WANT THAT PINEAPPLE SUNDAY! THERE IS NO DENYING IT! YOU WANT IT SO BAD YOU CAN TASTE IT! MMMM....PINEAPPLE!!!

BUY IT! (If the dude won't let you take it out of the shop....BUY IT!)

you are right, if it turns out you dont want it in a year, or six months...sell it. you will get your money back.

QUIT FIGHTING IT! BUY THE DAMN THING!

-sincerely, Boozelele :)

phanzo
10-08-2009, 07:56 AM
thank you for your sincere insight. You're probably right, I should just quite beatin myself up about it and just buy the damn thing.

Worse case scenario, I don't like it and I either sell it back to the guy for a different K or I sell it on eBay or something. I need to quit beatin around the bush and just buy the damn thing.

I just hope that after all of this, he doesn't sell it before I get all of the money together. yes, that would be my luck, it always is. :iwant:

thanks for the help and the no BS approach. :wallbash:

phanzo
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
ok, so the guy who was selling me the Pineapple Sunday for $895, got an offer from a guy who wanted to buy it for $1,200. So, needless to say, he sold it to him. So I'm back to square one. He said he thinks he may get another PS on a trade-in in a month or so, in which case he will offer me the same price, but it isn't 100%.

I am thinking that since I like the Kanile'a Super Concert so much, that might be the size for me. I will have to play it again but I remember really liking it's sound when I played it (briefly).

MGM has a Ko'Aloha SC for $800 but in order to get a Mi-Si installed (which I am definitely getting, regardless of which uke I decide on), it's an extra $175 which puts it a bit out of my price range. It's not neccesarily out of my price range, I will just have to wait an extra month or so before getting it, which I really don't wanna do.

Any suggestions on a superconcert with Mi-Si installed for under $900? I'm still open to a tenor as well. I also saw someone on here with a "super super soprano" which was a Soprano body with a tenor scale. Any info on those?

One last thing, I am still a bit interested in getting a Mainland Tenor or a Kala Acacia Tenor with Mi-Si installed but I feel like I will be retyping this post, a year from now, asking the same question.

Should I buy a Mainland or Acacia today? or should I keep saving for a few more weeks and get the "K brand" that I really want?

Thanks, as always. :shaka:

mailman
10-20-2009, 12:33 PM
ok, so the guy who was selling me the Pineapple Sunday for $895, got an offer from a guy who wanted to buy it for $1,200. So, needless to say, he sold it to him. So I'm back to square one. He said he thinks he may get another PS on a trade-in in a month or so, in which case he will offer me the same price, but it isn't 100%.

I am thinking that since I like the Kanile'a Super Concert so much, that might be the size for me. I will have to play it again but I remember really liking it's sound when I played it (briefly).

MGM has a Ko'Aloha SC for $800 but in order to get a Mi-Si installed (which I am definitely getting, regardless of which uke I decide on), it's an extra $175 which puts it a bit out of my price range. It's not neccesarily out of my price range, I will just have to wait an extra month or so before getting it, which I really don't wanna do.

Any suggestions on a superconcert with Mi-Si installed for under $900? I'm still open to a tenor as well. I also saw someone on here with a "super super soprano" which was a Soprano body with a tenor scale. Any info on those?

One last thing, I am still a bit interested in getting a Mainland Tenor or a Kala Acacia Tenor with Mi-Si installed but I feel like I will be retyping this post, a year from now, asking the same question.

Should I buy a Mainland or Acacia today? or should I keep saving for a few more weeks and get the "K brand" that I really want?

Thanks, as always. :shaka:

Deja' vu.... :rolleyes:

ukeskywalker79
10-20-2009, 12:53 PM
We can all go back and forth and give you suggestions but ultimately the decision will be yours. Follow your heart and your ears :D I might like something that you think sounds kinda blah and vise versa.

Based on your comments it really seems like you have your heart set on a "k" brand. I say go for it. If for some reason you end up not liking it you can easily sell it off or trade it in since "k" brands tend to hold their value.

My own personal goal is to own a uke from each "k" brand :eek: Why go through the agony of choosing between companies when you can own them all :D

mangorockfish
10-20-2009, 04:23 PM
I feel your pain. I bought a Mainland concert four weeks ago and am already wanting something new. The concert is perfect in every way and I really want a Mainland tenor and soprano just like my concert. However, I sometitmes think that I would be happier with a "Big K" of some sort.

nukulele0
10-20-2009, 05:17 PM
if i were in ur situation i would definitely go with the K BRAND, if u end up regretting it u can sell it and with that money get a mainland tenor and a kala acacia, buy the k brand, due to limited supply koa is going to rise in cost over the years so best possible time to buy is NOW!

phanzo
10-20-2009, 07:01 PM
if i were in ur situation i would definitely go with the K BRAND, if u end up regretting it u can sell it and with that money get a mainland tenor and a kala acacia, buy the k brand, due to limited supply koa is going to rise in cost over the years so best possible time to buy is NOW!

:agree: That's a good way to look at it, thanks! I've made it this far, I might as well hold off and wait til I have the money for the K brand.

phanzo
10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
I feel your pain. I bought a Mainland concert four weeks ago and am already wanting something new. The concert is perfect in every way and I really want a Mainland tenor and soprano just like my concert. However, I sometitmes think that I would be happier with a "Big K" of some sort.

Exactly what I am worrying about. I think I would really like a Mainland but I will never be happy until I get AT LEAST one K brand :iwant:

Thanks for the input!!

phanzo
10-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Deja' vu.... :rolleyes:

I know, I know :deadhorse: ...Soon I will have my K brand and we will stop going back and forth with these decisions.

Thank you for puting up with my indecisiveness :D

Still looking for some input on the Super Concerts. I know Deach has a couple. But he has a couple of everything, so that doesn't help me too much. Anybody else have one? What do you think of it?