Help with my 3rd uke PLEASE

phanzo

Reaction score
Hey folks!
(Please skip ahead to post #38 (page 4), as my posts have progressed and changed greatly since this first post. Please post feedback though. I am still in quite a bind, although different from this first post, my decisions have become much tougher and I need whatever help I can get! Thanks for the help!)

I have been scouring the internets the last couple days, preparing for my next purchase and I wanted to get some opinions from the users. I have a Lanikai Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt Concert and I am ready to step my game up to something much better.

I want my 3rd uke to be A/E. I have been looking at Tenors (as would be the natural progression that I have been following...soprano, then concert, now tenor) and want to gather some opinions to help with the decision.

I am looking in the $300-$400 range.

What are the benefits (or differences) between a concert and a tenor? Any brands to avoid? I have been looking at Ponos and Kalas but am not locked on to those brands by any means. I am looking for great quality and am more interested in superior sound vs good looks (I don't have much money, so I want it to be as well spent as possible on a great performing instrument, NOT a great LOOKING instrument!) .

I have read a lot about how solid bodies produce a better sound so I want to go in that direction. Also, how does mahogany compare to other woods (except koa) such as cedar. I am looking at the Mainland ukes page and they have a Cedar that is $50 more than the Mohag....wondering why and what the difference may be (beyond looks)?

Any advice as to brand, wood, size, etc. will be GREATLY appreciated!!

I am planning on buying it from MGM since we don't have any uke retailers here in Phoenix. Please help me get through this tough time of UAS, as this is a decision I don't want to make ALL on my own.

Thanks
Dustin Fanzo

P.S. I read these forums quit frequently (despite my minimal # of posts), so please don't treat me like an uber-noob!! Thanks :cool: :shaka:

Last edited:
Sure you've seen all the praise for Mainland, and the have a tenor w/ undersaddle pickup. They also have mi-si pups available upon request, and I'm sure a few extra bones. My Mainland sounds incredible. It's my workhorse currently, and sounds amazing plugged in to a PA system with the undersaddle pickup. Don't expect an undersaddle to sound amazing plugged in to a guitar amp, unless its an acoustic special amp.

From what I understand, Cedar is brighter and more clear than Mahogany. So which you choose should be based on that. Mine is Mahogany, and it's a really blended, mellow tone compared to spruce or koa. Seems to be more bottom end. There's a deep drone type sound when strumming chords that the Mainland mahog tenor gives, that I like. Very bassy and full(in relation to other ukes, of course). I don't have any personal experience with Cedar.

All solid woods, sealed geared tuners, and good prices. Some of the best prices for all solid wood, actually.

Aside from Mainland, I can fully recommend Fluke. Maybe you can find a local shop that has one and try it, because it has an odd shape that some don't like. Such a loud uke, with awesome tone. Another fully, bassy ukulele. They have many options at fleamarketmusic.com's online store. Usually laminate woods, but they have better tone than most solid ukes IMO.

As far as differences between concert and tenor... they're all pretty obvious. The larger scale = more fretboard to play with. Larger body = a fuller, less bright more mellow tone.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks! I didnt know what a Mi-Si Pickup was but I looked it up and they seem pretty sweet. Would they sound better (than undersaddle) when plugged in to a guitar amp or do ukes pretty much always sound bad when plugged in to a guitar amp? I have an old Peavey practice amp that I want to play around on and also use it to record DI w/ Pro Tools. Would it sound decent enough to just play around on or whatever, not performing for people or anything...?

As for the Mainland, they are definitely one I am considering. Which do you play? Any differences between the Mohag and Cedar besides looks?

Thanks! :shaka:

Appolgies...

From what I understand, Cedar is brighter and more clear than Mahogany. So which you choose should be based on that. Mine is Mahogany, and it's a really blended, mellow tone compared to spruce or koa. Seems to be more bottom end. There's a deep drone type sound when strumming chords that the Mainland mahog tenor gives, that I like. Very bassy and full(in relation to other ukes, of course). I don't have any personal experience with Cedar.

Sorry, just realized that you already answered the Ceder vs Mohag question. I apologize for my ignorance.

Anyone else out there with an opinion on the matter, please chip in, as I want to gain as much knowledge of the market before investing this kind of money.

I may not be buying the new one for a couple months (as hard as it is for me to hold off) so please drop any and all knowledge on me!

Thanks!

I edited my first post before you posted that, I think. I play the mahog tenor w/undersaddle pup and difference between cedar and mahog, from my understanding, is cedar is more defined and brighter. Based on that, I prefer the full, deeper more melllow tone of mahog, and it's less expensive too. I have no personal experience with Cedar though.

No ignorance on your part! Ignorance on my part for not reading thouroughly before first posting.

Generally, a/e guitars and ukes sound bad through a normal guitar amp, especially if it is solid state like mine, and like your peavey. With some adjusting of the EQ, it will sound better. It will sound great using a DI, however. Especially with pro tools, you should be able to mold it to sound almost however you'd like. And keep in mind if you play live, most places will have a PA system, and the undersaddle sounds just fine throught hat too.

Mi-si pickups just reproduce the acoustics and the ukulele's original tone better than undersaddle pickups. They're regarded as the best uke pickups from most people. But I dont really have any complaints about my undersaddle when it's plugged in to something appropriate, IE PA or acoustic designed amplifier. I'm sure the mi-si would still sound pretty wierd and tinny when plugged in to a normal solid state guitar amp.

Hope that helps!

Hi Phanzo.

Here are a few threads to help you understand the different qualities of tonewood:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6475
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5944
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2404

As far as which brand you should get? I would just go to musicguymic's eBay shop and sort by price. Check out the ones he has for $300-$400 and start to narrow it down. Once you've narrowed it down to a few, come back to this thread and ask about those specific 'ukulele.

Other brands for you to check out - Kamoa (which they sell here at UU), Lanikai, Mainland, Flea/Fluke, Ohana.

It's difficult for us to answer such an open-ended general question. Give us more specifics, and we'll be able to help you more.

I know that your mind is almost made up but www.meleukulele.com has some nice (better than mainland and kala and pono IMO) ukes in your range. They are also having their twelth year anniversery sale so prices are lower than normal. Just to let you know I own a three meles, 2 kalas, 1 koaloha. I just ordered a Pono and my next purchase will be a mainland because they do sound good and the price is nice. You are in a good price reange where many good ukes can be found. I know that you are semi-commited to MGM but you should also check out www.ukerepublic.com he carries pono, mainland , kala, and a few more and he's a great guy as well.

Good luck with your purchase.

I have a Bushman Cedar Tone Tenor, a Kala Solid Mahogany Tenor, and a Pono Mahogany Tenor...and I love the sound of the Mahogany much more than the Cedar. People describe the Cedar as brighter, or punchier, and that is a good description. It sounds great when being picked, and definitely louder when strummed. But for me, the mellow, blended, chordal sound of the Mahogany is nicer. But part of that may be that my crappy playing stands out more on the Cedar topped uke. :eek:

Thanks guys!

Thank you all so much for the help!! A lot of good advice and some better things to think about. I think I'll go with a Mohag since what a couple of you described is what I'm hoping to get out of my new one (soundwise).

I will definitely check out the links and all of your suggestions and narrow my decision down. Once I do a bit of narrowing, I will repost here on this thread as to what I have narrowed down to and will ask for your advice from there.

Thanks again to those who have commented, it means a lot to me.

For those who haven't commented, please do so. I am looking for as many opinions as possible so even if someone posted what you are thinking, please post anyway. Any and all suggestions are wanted/needed.

Any more opinions as far5 as pickups go would be a great help as well. Undersaddle only vs Undersaddle w/ Mi-Si. I don't know anything at all about pickups so any info will help tons.

Thanks again. Look forward to hearing more suggestions.

Peace. :shaka:

or let sukie and salukulady do it.

:eek:

I think they were each looking into finding their own wives to do that stuff for them...sorry for the OT post...

Back on topic - I had a Pono PTS-E that sounded great - I think you'll do well to look in your price range, but Pono, Mele, Mainland, Ohana, Kala - all have great stuff and should be able to fit your needs somewhere!

hey guys,

I'm still looking for your opinions on an acoustic electric, solid body Tenor. Good or bad, the more advice I can get the better.

Anything you can provide will be a big help.

Thanks a lot!

Updated post with $$ range increase!

Wanted to update my thread and get some new/different opinions. Yesterday was my birthday and since my girlfriend can't afford a uke that I want, she made me a little jar for a "uke fund" and gave me a check to get me started. I have $165 in it so far. I am also working a lot more now so I want to "beef up" my new uke requirements.

I think I still want a tenor (I def. still want A/E) but my price range has jumped to the $400-650ish range (I currently have a Lanikai Pineapple Soprano and an Oscar Schmidt OU-5 Concert). If I can get something amazing for less, I will, but I want this uke to keep me happy for a couple years and I would rather spend an extra couple bucks now and get a really good one.

I was looking at Ponos before so they are still an option. I want to know what else is out there though in that price range. I'm hoping that with the increase in price, it opens the doors to some better ukes from some of the "better" companies.

Any and all advice/suggestions are awesome. I am looking at MGMs page right now, just browsing at this point. Do you know of any companies that are releasing new models now/soon? I will probably be wanting to buy the new uke in a month or 2, unless there's something I can't pass up.

Anyway, sorry for rambling. If you can help me, awesome, I really appreciate it.

Thanks! :shaka:

Last edited:
Two part reply: First, try the Mainland mahogany tenor. I had Mike @ Ukerepublic play a Mainland gloss mahogany concert next to an ebony Pono tenor over the phone for me. He didn't have a Mainland tenor, The Pono was about two-and-a-half times the price of the Mainland and about half the sound. That is to me. I bought the Mainland and will probably buy a Mainland tenor in the near future if I don't get a custom job. Second, there are two types of amps: producers-used for producing sounds from like solid body guitars. Really don't do well with accoustic instruments IMO. Then there are the reproducers which kick up the sound of accoustic instruments, i.e. Fender Accoustasonics (sp) and Strawberry Blondes, etc. My $.02 worth.

You should also consider the Mele mahogany tenor. I have one that sounds amazing and plays like a dream.

With that updated price range, I'd seriously look at the high-end of Ohana's line or I'd opt for a KoAloha and have something that would be a long-term investment thanks to superb quality and sound.

I edited my first post before you posted that, I think. I play the mahog tenor w/undersaddle pup and difference between cedar and mahog, from my understanding, is cedar is more defined and brighter. Based on that, I prefer the full, deeper more melllow tone of mahog, and it's less expensive too. I have no personal experience with Cedar though.

No ignorance on your part! Ignorance on my part for not reading thouroughly before first posting.

Generally, a/e guitars and ukes sound bad through a normal guitar amp, especially if it is solid state like mine, and like your peavey. With some adjusting of the EQ, it will sound better. It will sound great using a DI, however. Especially with pro tools, you should be able to mold it to sound almost however you'd like. And keep in mind if you play live, most places will have a PA system, and the undersaddle sounds just fine throught hat too.

Mi-si pickups just reproduce the acoustics and the ukulele's original tone better than undersaddle pickups. They're regarded as the best uke pickups from most people. But I dont really have any complaints about my undersaddle when it's plugged in to something appropriate, IE PA or acoustic designed amplifier. I'm sure the mi-si would still sound pretty wierd and tinny when plugged in to a normal solid state guitar amp.

Hope that helps!

I'm trying to follow this and learn as I go. What does DI mean? :eek:

Here's the wikipedia page for a DI or Direct Input.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DI_unit

It's used a lot in the studio atmosphere as well in live. It has a lot of uses. I work in hotel/resort audio/visual and I use it almost everyday to play audio from a computer out of our PA system.

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom