tenor body with concert tone?

mikeeG7th

Reaction score
Just curious.. If I like the sound of a concert but like the body of a tenor --- Can I have a tenor uke specifically made so it sounds more like a concert? Will changing to a high G tuning do it? Will that be a good or bad idea? I didn't consider a superconcert in this case as I am specifically considering the body size, not the scale or neck size.

Thanks!

Hmm.. suppose you could order a thinner one. Like Honey's from Bosko and Honey. It's as thin as a sop but tenor size. Listen to it:

www.youtube.com/boskohoney

Check the more recent vids. It's the one with the red wing like designs coming from the soundhole.

She had it custom made by:

MP Ukulele
Mike Pereira
http://mpukuleles.com/

Last edited:
I'm not sure exactly what you mean. Tenor and concerts are generally tuned the same, with the exception of some people using a low-G string on tenors. But a high G tenor sounds a lot like a concert, but is usually louder with a more full sound.

I am wondering if a tenor-sized uke can be set-up in such a way that it sounds more like a concert than a tenor. I like the concert-sized uke's sound more than a tenor but I prefer the body size of a tenor in terms of playability.

I think there's also a Kala thinlin tenor from MGM that would surely be less expensive than a custom.

KoAloha makes a Super Concert that is a concert body with the neck of a tenor. I know that's not what you wrote but you will definitely get the tone of a concert and the room of a tenor with that uke.

Didn't Mike DaSilva build that one?
Yep, it was a sponsored uke, one of their videos covers the process of handing over that uke to Honey.
Interestingly, this may be an indication that MP ukuleles are more often talked about here than DaSilva ukes. How come?

Ah, sorry thread hijack, never mind then.

Yep, it was a sponsored uke, one of their videos covers the process of handing over that uke to Honey.
Interestingly, this may be an indication that MP ukuleles are more often talked about here than DaSilva ukes. How come?

Probably price and delivery schedule.

Didn't Mike DaSilva build that one? So many Mikes in ukes. Mike DaSilva, Mike Pereira, Mike Upton, Mike from Mainland, MusicGuyMic, Mike Koaloha, Mike Gstring, Mike Mele, Mike Kanilea. I feel like the Forrest Gump of ukes.
I have been noticing that too. What is it with all the Mikes in the Ukulele world? I wonder how many more Mikes we might have in the UU community?

Some of the custom Kanile'a ukes have a super concert size body, but I think they can look a little strange.

http://KanileaUkulele.com/PDFs/KanileaBrochure2008.pdf?osCsid=bdd52eb022e6ed03860bbc652c9d2136

–Lori

Get a super-concert. It's got the body of a concert, but the neck of a tenor.

Didn't Mike DaSilva build that one? So many Mikes in ukes. Mike DaSilva, Mike Pereira, Mike Upton, Mike from Mainland, MusicGuyMic, Mike Koaloha, Mike Gstring, Mike Mele, Mike Kanilea. I feel like the Forrest Gump of ukes.

LOL!

When I start making 'ukuleles I'm changing my name to Mike. :shaka:

I think I know what you want, but I can tell you that the Kala Thinline (and probably most other low profile ukuleles) will not get you that sound that you're looking for. The thin body profile does not give a concert tone, but more a muffled tenor sound. And I'm not really sure if what you're looking for is possible. A solution could be a superconcert. And if the problem is holding the uke, then a uke strap can be purchased and strap buttons can be installed if you like. That'd probably be the best way.

sounds like what you want is a concert neck with a tenor body, not the other way around.

One of the things affecting sound is scale length, a concert's is around 15" and tenor 17" - more tension.

Here's what you could do, to get the short scale length with the tenor body. Take a tenor and tune the strings to Bb instead of C (2 steps down). Then put a capo at the 2nd fret to take it back up to C. You'll be playing in C with the tenor body and concert scale neck. See if you like that.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'll have to go with a superconcert! I really want to get a concert tone because I already got a tenor... I was just hoping to get a bigger body size to come with a concert tone ...(Sigh)
I guess you can't really get everything you want on the same package. :rolleyes:

well, the bigger body size is going to change the tone, so sounds like superconcert is the way to go.

Or just get a concert - why do you want the long neck? If you want a concert tone, get a concert.

I thought about this for a while and came up with the solution!!

...... a SUPER CONCERT!!
then i red the rest of your topic and the rest of this thread...
Yeah, there goes another attempt to help someone who doesn't need it :\

Top Bottom