PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Chicago?

seeso
04-06-2008, 02:46 AM
It might be futile to ask, but is there anyone in Chicago? The weather's starting to get nice, finally. It's time to jam outside!

Bigylittle
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
So sad, no love for Seeso :[ Sorry if you thought this was a response Seeso x[

dmassop
04-17-2008, 05:39 PM
hey seeso,
no one in iowa either :(
i guess theres always the term "midwest"

seeso
04-17-2008, 06:13 PM
hey seeso,
no one in iowa either :(
i guess theres always the term "midwest"

LOL, we're pathetic... :(

Keonikapila
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
LOL, we're pathetic... :(

Hey, look on the bright side, you can be pretty certain that you're the best ukulele player for a hundred miles! :D

wgk001
04-20-2008, 03:31 AM
Hey Seeso,

George here. I'm so glad that you were able to attend the uke bash for Bosko & Honey yesterday. Thanks for your great performance and thanks for setting up the Worldwide Internet Ope Mic, as ths was certainly the highlight for many.

We will certainly start hooking up more regularly now that we knw each other exists.

http://www.windycityislanders.com

seeso
04-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Right on, George! Had so much fun last night, brother. I'll see you soon.

jakegio
04-21-2008, 06:32 AM
You can contact the Wonderwall Music Shop in Oak Park. I think they still host a uke club once a month.

http://www.sitaremporium.com/WWUkuleleClubOakPark.html

seeso
10-09-2008, 06:50 PM
So... it's been a half a year since I posted this thread. Time to ask again.

Anyone in or around Chicago? http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/1378/praykv1.gif

leaveit2jane
10-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I wish I was! I'm just far enough out of the city that driving is out for me. I'd jump in at Old Town School of Folk Music. That lead on Oak Park is prolly good too. People just hang out making all kinds of music on the streets of that town.:D

seeso
02-15-2009, 12:51 PM
How about I revive this old thread. The boards have grown in membership since the last post. Anyone else in Chicago?

bornagainjeeper
02-15-2009, 04:09 PM
I'm in carbondale here..sooo no TOOO far...i think you might wanna ask lisaxy she might be up your way...my mom lives in the burbs and my brother in the city so i'm up there a few times a year, i'd love to jam it out if i could hang with the my mighty seeso

lisaxy424
02-16-2009, 04:13 AM
Seeso! I'm only a half hour away from Chicago! It's too bad I didn't play a few years ago - I was going to school and living downtown and could have just WALKED to Millennium park to jam! :music:

I saw someone posted earlier about the Harrison Street Players (http://www.meetup.com/Oak-Park-Ukulele-Meetup-Group-Harrison-St-Ukulele-Players/) - they meet every Thursday (and would probably be like 20 minutes from where you are!) Or maybe we could meet up at the Ukulele Caberet (http://www.myspace.com/ukechicago)!

Plus, I was planning on going to the Ukulele Luau this year - will you be there again!? I want to learn the way of Seeso! :)

I think I might have lucked out - I just may get to meet one of the best uke players be default just because of where I live!

Nuke-ulele
02-16-2009, 04:42 AM
I will be in Chicago for a few days around the 12th of May for the Springsteen concert. If anything is going on then I would be happy to meet up! I usually make the rounds at some of the big guitar shops when in town.

seeso
02-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Well, why don't we tentatively plan something around the 12th of May? Uke Chicago Meet Up!

Lisa, barring catastrophe, I'll be at the Luau in Indiana.

Jeeper, what does the 12 of May look like for you?

Nuke-ulele
02-16-2009, 05:05 AM
That would be great, but the 12th of May itself is actually not a great date for me...as that is the day of the Springsteen concert! How about the 13th, a Wednesday, around dinner time? Not that I want you all to plan your life around me! I will be in town from May 12 AM until the 14th AM, at any rate. Dinner and drinks somewhere on the 13th would be a blast, and if that works out, I am in!

seeso
02-16-2009, 05:50 AM
Dinner and drinks somewhere on the 13th would be a blast, and if that works out, I am in!

The 13th sounds good. Would you rather not meet during the day?

What if we meet during the day on the 13th and whoever still wants to hang out can go have drinks. I don't know if everyone that will want to meet is of age, so I wouldn't want to limit our potential participants right off the bat.

Would you guys want to meet by the Bean?

Nuke-ulele
02-16-2009, 05:52 AM
The 13th sounds good. Would you rather not meet during the day?

What if we meet during the day on the 13th and whoever still wants to hang out can go have drinks. I don't know if everyone that will want to meet is of age, so I wouldn't want to limit our potential participants right off the bat.

Would you guys want to meet by the Bean?

During the day would be even better! I have all day. I just figured that folks would have work or school or something. Daytime is actually best for me so I can take off after dinner and head back to Detroit that evening/night. Maybe an afternoon thing at a uke-friendly music shop or coffee shop or other alternative location? Near the Ben would be great, too. I actually know where that is!

lisaxy424
02-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Ugh! I'll be teaching until 3pm that day! Maybe I can catch you guys that night!? Plus, for some reason I play a little better with some drinks in me :)

Keep me updated! :D

seeso
02-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Let's see if other people chime in before committing to anything definite.

Faricelli
02-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I am always up for something on the weekends. I live about hour away from the city. I like the idea of ukeing and drinking. I'm still a glorified chord changer. I don't know if I could hang with Seeso. I was thinking about going to the luau this year, but not crazy about camping out.

seeso
02-19-2009, 02:12 AM
This ain't a contest, bro. We'd love to have you come out.

brichm01
02-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Hi All, long time lurker. first time poster (how cliche..)
I'm in Chicago, city proper. I can meet up anytime almost anytime except Wednesday and Thursday nights and Saturday mid-day.
-Bill

PoisonDart
02-21-2009, 07:23 PM
I work during they day, but heck, maybe I'll take off for some ukeing, I'm in andersonville.

I definitely need to practice playing with other people

seeso
02-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Right on, Poison! Glad to have you aboard.

I know there are more Chicago peeps on this board... Make yourselves known!

Hankthetank
02-28-2009, 07:21 AM
Narciso, you know I am down. Let me know that time and place and I am there. :shaka:
Henry

brichm01
03-04-2009, 07:00 AM
I'm in Sauganash so real close to Andersonville!

Adam3990
03-04-2009, 08:21 PM
I live in the burbs, Naperville, to be exact...but would love to find more ukers to jam with. A buddy of mine and I started a duo a while back and we both play ukes, but we seem to be it as far as the western suburbs go!

PoisonDart
03-05-2009, 09:41 AM
There is an open mic at the Loose Leaf Tea Loft (http://www.looseleaftealoft.com/) in Lincoln Square (4229 N. Lincoln Ave) tonight. I'm heading over around 7:00. It's not that far from the Old Town so if you need to pick up strings or want to oggle the ukes they have there, it could be worth the trip.

I have never been to this open, so I will report back later on! I'd love to see some fellow ukers come out.

herbsandspices
03-05-2009, 11:21 AM
It's not that far from the Old Town so if you need to pick up strings or want to oggle the ukes they have there, it could be worth the trip.

Just don't expect to buy any Aquila Nylgut Concert-sized strings... cause they're all out of them! :mad: They told me last night that someone came in and bought all of their remaining stock. As for their ukes, they need to get some Hawaiian-made uke's back in stock!

Loose Leaf Tea Loft looks great though - let us know how it goes!

john

PoisonDart
03-05-2009, 01:01 PM
oh, man, they better have some baritone strings for me.. i broke one on the uke i keep at my moms... I swear they last 2 weeks before I bust a bass string.

I tried guitar center out in the suburbs, of course they didn't have any... But they did have a lanikai mango concert uke that was gorgeous and sounded good from what i could tell (it was plugged into an amp with some reverb on)

I made myself put it down and RAN out of the store so I didn't spend my rent money on it...

Why did I let my girlfriend borrow my soprano???? :confused:

PoisonDart
03-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Woot! Seeso showed up and represented ukulele quite well. (unlike me! :( )

The open mic was a little tame, but that's not necessarily bad. I followed it up at the Red Line Tap's open mic which was much livelier but a much longer wait. Bonus: The hostess adores ukuleles.

Additional Chicago Ukulele madness:
Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele (http://www.myspace.com/dentmay) will be playing at Schubas tomorrow night.

herbsandspices
03-06-2009, 06:23 AM
Glad to hear the open mic went well.. we've played a show at the Red Line Tap before, and had a great time - glad to know it's staff is pro-uke! Didn't know they had an open mic... although I'm too chicken to do solo open-mic stuff. :D
john

Mediamst
03-06-2009, 07:08 AM
I am in Warrenville and work in the city. I am only like a half hour drive away from downtown. I would always be up for a meetup.

seeso
03-06-2009, 09:34 AM
So, this is great! Chicago-area peeps are finally starting to come out of the woodwork. So far we're planning on May 13. It's a school night (Wednesday), though. Is everyone cool with that?

Great to meet you at the open mike, Poison. You practicing that reggae strum? :D You got it down, man.

I don't think I'm going back, though. Especially not when that rude chick hosts, anyway.

PoisonDart
03-06-2009, 11:22 AM
yeah, that was out of this world...

This chick starts tuning her guitar in the middle of seeso's song. :wtf:

I had a LOT more fun at the redline tap open mic. Too bad it's later at night, but I guess that's what they invented telecommuting for!

herbsandspices: I'm tied between saying "Don't be a weeny! If I can do it, anyone can..." and saying "no kidding, I feel like I'm going to puke every time I get onstage." Luckily, you don't have to play it alone. Some of my friends go and just bring their whole bands.

Last night my buddies had mandolin, upright bass, guitar and drums up there

PoisonDart
04-07-2009, 12:23 PM
HELLO CHICAGO!

What have you been up to?

Baron
04-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Yes Me!!!

-Baron

seeso
04-25-2009, 11:40 AM
Wednesday, May the 13th! Who's in?

Faricelli
04-25-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm out. I am going to Maui that week. Don't feel sorry for me. I think I'll have a good time there. LOL

salukulady
04-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Hey, look on the bright side, you can be pretty certain that you're the best ukulele player for a hundred miles! :DWatch his vids.....he's by far the best uke player for a thousand miles......

http://www.youtube.com/user/seeso

Hankthetank
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Wednesday, May the 13th! Who's in?

Works for me! Just give me the time and place and I am there. :shaka:

seeso
04-28-2009, 06:25 PM
So where does everyone want to meet? At the beach? Somewhere else? I like the Welles Park gazebo...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3035/2782902294_d53c78842e.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2zjfdbt.png

infamiz
04-30-2009, 07:56 PM
im from the northern burbs of IL but my aunt and uncle live right by welles park

seeso
05-01-2009, 01:49 PM
im from the northern burbs of IL but my aunt and uncle live right by welles park

Right on, man! You coming?

lisaxy424
05-01-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm out :(

We scheduled an after-school marching band practice that day...

...doesn't get much cooler than that :p

HAVE FUN EVERYONE!!! :D

infamiz
05-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Right on, man! You coming?

im gonna try but i dont get my kala till next month...ill be embarrased with my cheap regal i own now

PoisonDart
05-06-2009, 03:05 AM
ukulele cabaret is this saturday!!

What time are we trying to meet up wednesday?

seeso
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
im gonna try but i dont get my kala till next month...ill be embarrased with my cheap regal i own now

Aw, c'mon. No one cares what kind of uke you own!

What time are we trying to meet up wednesday?

Saturday? Oooh... I might have to miss it. Wednesday's meet time is up in the air right now. Not a whole lot of people are coming. What time do you want to meet?

infamiz
05-06-2009, 03:47 PM
omg i went to the store to make a payment on my kala and i played it...so freakin sexy. the sound is so much better.

PoisonDart
05-08-2009, 03:09 AM
wellllll.... If not too many cats are coming, than maybe after workish? 6:00?

seeso
05-08-2009, 04:26 AM
wellllll.... If not too many cats are coming, than maybe after workish? 6:00?

Well, the whole reason we made it on the 13th was to facilitate Nuke-ulele, who has not returned to the thread since. Since it's just me and you now, and since Wednesday the 13th is also the Lost season finale(!), why don't we change the date to Sunday , the 17th? We can meet at a leisurely 1:00 pm.

What say you? We can even make it a monthly thing. Every third Sunday over the summer. Uke jam in the park. If you're going to the Cabaret tomorrow, you can try to recruit people. I'm not sure if I can make it to that yet...

seeso
05-08-2009, 06:24 AM
I emailed PoisonDart, and he is cool with meeting on Sunday. I'll make a new thread for it. Nuke-ulele, if you return to this thread and still want to meet on Wednesday, we can totally meet up during the day, just let me know.

Joe H
05-11-2009, 12:10 PM

How was it? Did anyone go?

PoisonDart
05-11-2009, 12:23 PM
I went, and it was amazing as per usual.

Some really fantastic players and singers come out and the audience is a treat too since they actually listen.

(Unlike most open mics)

Joe H
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
I went, and it was amazing as per usual.

What did you play?

Rob Roy
05-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Purusing new site for me and I see the magic word CHICAGO. I will be in sweet home Chicago in July, the 17th through the end of the month. Then back to the digusting eternally sunny weather in the Virgin Islands. Any ideas of possible UKE or other acoustic string instrument stuff? Anything?

seeso
05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
There will be a jam on July 19th.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13159