My Movie Review System

UKESTAR

Reaction score
For the last decade, my friends and I have used a movie rating system that is simple and clear.

OK..the RULES are..
A. Movies are rated on a 1 - 5 scale using decimals if needed (ie 3.9)
B. NOTHING gets a 5....we can always hope that some day..:D
C. Any movie that gets a rating lower than 3.5 is not even worth renting.

Sample:
Shawshank Redemption earns a 4.7 in my book. What does this mean mathematically?
Well 4.7 X 2 = 9.4
This means 94% OR A- (in other words, if you missed Shawshank Redemption, go see it!!)

SO...What are some ratings for movies that you think are pretty high using this system??
I can't reveal my top scoring movie just yet....ha.

Last edited:
2 of my favorite movies would have to be "The Seven Samuria" and "The Hidden Fortress" by Akira Kurosawa. He is a great director. I think if any movie deserves your 5.0 I would have to give it the " the hidden fortress". George Lucus used that story lie and idea for stars wars, never before Kurosawa had a movie showed the perspective in the eyes of a comoner, it was always a hero, or villian.

2 of my favorite movies would have to be "The Seven Samuria" and "The Hidden Fortress" by Akira Kurosawa. He is a great director. I think if any movie deserves your 5.0 I would have to give it the " the hidden fortress". George Lucus used that story lie and idea for stars wars, never before Kurosawa had a movie showed the perspective in the eyes of a comoner, it was always a hero, or villian.

Refer to Rule B!..haha. Thanks for the tip..will have to check these out.

Last edited:
There Will Be Blood gets a 4.8! It doesn't get a 5 only because it's really long and I feel it could be shorter.

There Will Be Blood gets a 4.8! It doesn't get a 5 only because it's really long and I feel it could be shorter.

I will agree it had to be shorter the movie was like 21/2hrs long, that about 2hrs longer then I should of wasted watching it! I give that movie a 3.5 It was long, the story didnt even go very deep into the charaters, the best part of that movie was the sound track. :p

I will agree it had to be shorter the movie was like 21/2hrs long, that about 2hrs longer then I should of wasted watching it! I give that movie a 3.5 It was long, the story didnt even go very deep into the charaters, the best part of that movie was the sound track. :p

Wow...a 3.5 means that it is "barely worth renting". I have not seen it yet, but thanks for lowering my expectations a bit..that always helps..hah.
3.5 X 2 = 7.0
7.0 = 70%
70% is a very low C- ..........ouch!!:p

The only reason I kept watching was that for a 2 1/2hr movie it had to get better..... and it didint. I dont even want to mention the ending... blahh. 3.5 is being nic, if your at the movie store and you watched all the REAL movies and are looking for something to fall asleep to and not worry about missing anything, and you dont feel like watching the kung fu movie 36 chambers for the 49th time, and you wore out sweating to the oldies, then maybe you might want to waste a couple of bucks, but I would just watch the kung fu movie again. (Not to be judgemental or anything..LOL):D

City of God - 5.0!

There isn't anything wrong with that movie. Other top scorers for me are:
  • Life is Beautiful
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Children of Men
  • Goodfellas

I have a lot of favorite movies that I wouldn't rate very highly, but I still love them. Movies like:

• Shaun of the Dead
  • Kung Fu Hustle
  • The Princess Bride
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Blade Runner
  • Serenity
  • High Fidelity
  • School of Rock
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Alien
  • Donnie Darko
  • Stand By Me
  • Snatch
  • Once
  • Star Wars
  • Good Will Hunting

City of God - 5.0!

There isn't anything wrong with that movie. Other top scorers for me are:
  • Life is Beautiful
  • Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • The Wizard of Oz
  • Children of Men
  • Goodfellas

I have a lot of favorite movies that I wouldn't rate very highly, but I still love them. Movies like:

• Shaun of the Dead
  • Kung Fu Hustle
  • The Princess Bride
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Blade Runner
  • Serenity
  • High Fidelity
  • School of Rock
  • The Usual Suspects
  • Alien
  • Donnie Darko
  • Stand By Me
  • Snatch
  • Once
  • Star Wars
  • Good Will Hunting

Refer to RULE B gosh darn it!!!:eek::D Oh yeh....a movie can score highly even though it is cheeeezy...The North Shore is the cheesiest surf movie ever and I rate it a 4.5 anyways. Now we are getting into categories 1-5 scale for Drama, Horror, Suspense, Comedy, Cheese, etc etc... And Seeeeeeeeeeeeso, that second list has some of the best movies ever in it!@

Good call on City of God...one of the best I have seen also... The fact that it is sort of a true story is always a bonus in my book..

Last edited:
you must be a radiohead fan. :D

yep:D

Seeso, there are some really good movies in your list.

The usual subject, Reservoir Dogs, Snatch, and some others I would rank pretty high (obviously not a 5 [see rule #b]). Quinton Terratino is a great director!

How bout Lock, Stock, and Two smoking barrels thats about 4.7

I have to give Napolean Dinomite a 4.7 also, becuase of the quote factor!
Gooossshhhh!!!!

yep:D

I have to give Napolean Dinomite a 4.7 also, becuase of the quote factor!
Gooossshhhh!!!!

Ah then what do you rate Anchor Man?

If we're talking quote factor that means I'm going to have to rate Mrs. Doubtfire at about a 4.3. :p

30% of the time it works everytime!! I loved anchorman, that would be right there with ND.

I love robin williams, watched all his movies and is an incredible comidian (I think I spelled that wrong) but I only watched it once, and dont think I would watch it again.

Ah then what do you rate Anchor Man?

If we're talking quote factor that means I'm going to have to rate Mrs. Doubtfire at about a 4.3. :p

"I... am... job." :D

"LEELAND! GET BACK IN YOUR CELL!! DONT MAKE ME GET THE HOSE!! *ahem* Hellooo?*

:D

"So, are your kids well behaved or do they need like a couple of light slams every now and then?"

"ohhh. I don't verk vit de males...cuz i used to vee one." :p Man, that WHOLE scene is extremely quotable. lol

Top Bottom