early music for the ukulele

Hi, Jamie! I posted here about your site yesterday, after checking to see if you were a member. Glad to see you join us! :)

I love early/classical music on uke! Your arrangements are awesome. I hope you'll continue to add more. :shaka:

thanks for sharing! :shaka:

Hello,

I'd like to show you lot my ukulele arrangements. I've been doing it for some time now but I've just put up an e-book to be sold (the rest are free). Check out my website here:

http://sites.google.com/site/classicalukulelearrangements/

I was wondering what the rest of you think of classical and early music on the ukulele?

Jamie

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea the uke could sound so good for early music. I also love the renditions. Well done!!!

Awesome!

I adore early music on uke. I listened to your videos - they're great and I already brought your e-book. Please transcribe more!

Thank you!

Hi Jamie,
I've been enjoying your work on the Classics, as well as the YouTube videos of you with the Uke, Lute, and Guitar. It's motivated me to dig out my Sor and Aguado books and dig for more treasures.

I think the ukulele is well suited for classical music.

–Lori

I got a question...

Jamie:

Let me ask you some questions.

I see you play lute and ukulele. And you had the gumption to transcibe lute music to ukulele.

I love ukulele. I love it's sound - but I also love that it is a relativly simple and easy instrument. I work a lot and have two kids. So the mere fact that I can invest 30 minutes a day in an instrument and actually sound good and feel like I am making progress is very valuable to me. (I see you're a bit younger than I am so this point may be very theoretical to you.)

Not the lute is a gorgeous instrument. But it's got an awfull lot of strings. Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect it takes a good deal more of a time investment to get the lute sounding really good. Or at least a longer time investment to realize it's full potential. And, I am sad to admit, I just have to assume that musically the lute can do a lot of things the ukulele could never even dream of. I mean, those extra 8 - 30 strings more must be there for a reason, right?

Given the above, here are my questions:

1) If you're an accompished lute player, what motivated you to pick up the ukulele?

2) How much more can you get out of a lute over a uke? Is it like a Mercedes Benz to a tricycle? Or a Lexus to a Toyota?

3) Is basic lute playing truly more challenging than uke playing?

4) At the end of the day, when you are playing just for the sheer joy of the instrument, what is it your hands reach for?

Thanks in advance for your responses... I am very curious!

And just to be clear: I totally envy you the opportunity you've had to get exposed to all of these instruments and this music from such a young age. What an opportunity you've had!

Grey

Woohoo!!! Yes!! Thank you, Jamie! :music:

This is exactly what I am interested in.

Jamie:

Let me ask you some questions.

I see you play lute and ukulele. And you had the gumption to transcibe lute music to ukulele.

I love ukulele. I love it's sound - but I also love that it is a relativly simple and easy instrument. I work a lot and have two kids. So the mere fact that I can invest 30 minutes a day in an instrument and actually sound good and feel like I am making progress is very valuable to me. (I see you're a bit younger than I am so this point may be very theoretical to you.)

Not the lute is a gorgeous instrument. But it's got an awfull lot of strings. Maybe I am wrong, but I suspect it takes a good deal more of a time investment to get the lute sounding really good. Or at least a longer time investment to realize it's full potential. And, I am sad to admit, I just have to assume that musically the lute can do a lot of things the ukulele could never even dream of. I mean, those extra 8 - 30 strings more must be there for a reason, right?

Given the above, here are my questions:

1) If you're an accompished lute player, what motivated you to pick up the ukulele?

2) How much more can you get out of a lute over a uke? Is it like a Mercedes Benz to a tricycle? Or a Lexus to a Toyota?

3) Is basic lute playing truly more challenging than uke playing?

4) At the end of the day, when you are playing just for the sheer joy of the instrument, what is it your hands reach for?

Thanks in advance for your responses... I am very curious!

And just to be clear: I totally envy you the opportunity you've had to get exposed to all of these instruments and this music from such a young age. What an opportunity you've had!

Grey

Sorry for not replying sooner! I've been away for a couple of days. In fact, I'm online with my laptop in the train back as I write! Thanks for the kind words!

I'll give some answers,

1) The amazing, beautiful sound! It's incredibly small price... and the fact that it wouldn't take much effort to adjust to it from the guitar and lute. I just love the feel of the instrument!

2) They're completely different I'd say. I get different enjoyment from both. The ukulele is just really fun to play but I do think that the depth of sound IS greater with the lute, and it is capable of more deep emotions I think. However, I wouldn't say that either one of them is better or worse, just different.

3) Yes! :mad: I find so myself and it is harder that the guitar too - I think the lute is more variable - you can make a very bad sound (it varies enormously with me from sitting to sitting) and likewise a very good sound. I find the ukulele more stable and it is easier to get a good tone from I think.

4) Whichever is nearest to me!;) Not really... but it is quite up to chance. I adore all my instruments. I tend to go through phases where I play one of my instruments a lot. I would have to say that the lute is my primary instrument though, I have a deeper passion for it yet I enjoy them all about the same amount. (ok, maybe the lute a little bit more);)

By the way, the opportunity I think was made by my own fascination with the instruments and music. I pay almost all the money towards every instrument I've got and my enjoyment from them encourages me to save up!

And in case you don't know, the lute actually, from a player's point of view only has 6 - 14 (mine being 8) since they are plucked in pairs. So it isn't much different from the guitar. (otherwise arranging would be way to hard for my skills!)

By the way, thanks so much for getting the book!:cheers:

Best wishes,

Jamie

Top Bottom