Build a Uke (or Mandolin) in Four Days

Rick Turner

Reaction score
For those of you who would like to try your hand at building a soprano "pineapple" uke, I teach a course in doing so (or building a pancake mandolin) in four days here in the 'States and also through the Hobart, Tasmania Adult Education Department. My next class at the end of August and early September is full-up, but I'll be back at the end of November to teach it again. We hold the course at the Woodbridge School south of Hobart by about 45 minutes drive, and it runs for two successive weekends.

I'm also hoping to be able to offer the class on the mainland...discussions are underway, to be somewhat mysterious about it all.

The uke is a classic pineapple shape with mahogany back, sides, and neck; the top is Western red cedar. Here's a link to a discussion about the most recent class that I held in my workshop here in Santa Cruz: http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/bulletin-single.asp?popup=true&BulletinID=25453

If you're interested in knowing more, I can email a brochure to anyone on the mandolin component of the class. The uke goes together pretty much the same way with differences in the bracing, bridge, and, of course, tuners and stringing. We'll add uke photos to the brochure in a couple of months.

Top Bottom