problem with tuning pegs

Strummingbird Stu

Reaction score
I have a Koaloha concert which I love dearly. My problem is with the tuning pegs. There is a screw in the middle of the peg, and a cylinder shaped nut around the peg. The pegs are really hard to turn and squeaky. Does anyone know how to best adjust them to an ideal tension? I would appreciate any help with this!

Uhhh, yeah that'll help.

Actually it will. Try loosening the screw on the end of the peg knob. It should slip and the string will go slack. Somewhere between so loose it won't hold, and so tight you can't turn it will be the ideal tension. It will vary for each string and takes a bit of practice before getting it right. I have friction tuners on my Mountain Dulcimer and I pretty much have to back off the screw a quarter turn to tune, and then hold it in place as I snug it up again. But those are steel strings and are under more tension. Uke tuners should be a bit easier to deal with.

Tuning Pegs

Thanks alot for the replies! I tried loosening them with a screwdriver and re-tightening them. It helped somewhat, but they were still squeaky, and didn't turn too smoothly.

I decided to take ichadwick's advice and ordered grover tuners (thanks for the site). I'm sure they will work out fine, since I have them on my Kala uke and am perfectly happy with. So now I'm happy as a clam! I appreciate your help very much!

Top Bottom