Good uke shops in Hawaii?

citizenjazz

Reaction score
In about 10 days, I'll be visiting Hawaii during one week. I intend to buy a tenor there (around $1000 to $1500). Could you give names of nice retailers/makers?

I've already spotted the "big ones" like Kamaka, Koaloha, Kanilea, etc. Should I rather visit their shops or go to a retailer where I'd be able to test different brands?

Thank you in advance for your advice. :shaka:

Alain.

Last edited:
I'd reccomend going to stores first. Try Easy Music Center and Dans Guitars and Good Guys. Between those three, you'll probably have tested any uke you could want other than customs. In your price range, you can buy ANY of the production model, non-custom ukuleles in the stores, since you will probably see 10-15% discounts off MSRP on all of the high end models in retail stores.

Another one you could try is give MGM a call. Because with that budget, you can afford some of MGM's rarer stock that they tend not to carry in the stores.

Something else you may want to look into is Craigslist Oahu while you're here. Once in a while there are good deals that pop up...and far more often than on Mainland craigslists for ukes. If you go the craigslist route, you can probably buy 2-3 good tenors for your money.

I'd also recommend going to Ukulele Puapua. You might choose to buy somewhere else as the prices may be marked up due to it being in Waikiki, but it has a terrific selection of high end ukes, including the K's you mentioned and you could try them out to see what you like best...

Hawaii music supply is a good one to go to as well to try out brands.

I suggest you give Tangi a call at (808)285-8537, and stop by his shop personally, check out his inventory and play a few, great ukes at a great price! you wont be dissappointed, aloha

Top Bottom