PDA

View Full Version : Does every Ukulele Underground member own more than one uke ?

ed531
07-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Since there are so many different types of ukes (soprano, concert, tenor, longnecks, etc) and so many different ways to tune them. Is there a Ukulele Underground member that only has one UKE ?

Just wondering...

Melissa82
07-29-2009, 04:15 AM
I only have one... for now. I really want a tenor and pineapple at one point once I get better.

ed531
07-29-2009, 04:28 AM
I only have one... for now. I really want a tenor and pineapple at one point once I get better.

What size and tuning are you playing now... and by pineapple, do you mean Pineapple Sunday ? :)

Ukulele JJ
07-29-2009, 04:32 AM
I don't own any ukes.

They own me.

JJ

Melissa82
07-29-2009, 04:32 AM
What size and tuning are you playing now... and by pineapple, do you mean Pineapple Sunday ? :)A concert in high G.

And yes, pineapple sunday. :love:

My dream tenor is the KoAloha Sceptre after seeing a pic of it yesterday.

Captain_Lovehandles
07-29-2009, 04:38 AM
I only have one, an Oscar Schmidt OU5 which I've had for a couple of years, BUT I just yesterday ordered a Mainland:D, which I figure will last me, if all the reviews are accurate. Then I'll probably give the OU5 to my daughter.

So, yes.

UKISOCIETY
07-29-2009, 04:42 AM
I don't own any ukes.

They own me.

JJ

S'truth!

Actually, I own one uke for every member of UU.

leftovermagic84
07-29-2009, 04:44 AM
I'm at three right now, though none of them are terribly expensive. I'm only keeping the cheapest of them around in case I get the chance to get someone else started on the uke and give it to them. I'm fighting hard to get a mainland, which will probably do it for me for quite some time. That will give me a soprano, concert, and tenor.

ed531
07-29-2009, 06:08 AM
I'm at three right now, though none of them are terribly expensive. I'm only keeping the cheapest of them around in case I get the chance to get someone else started on the uke and give it to them. I'm fighting hard to get a mainland, which will probably do it for me for quite some time. That will give me a soprano, concert, and tenor.

My first uke is a concert. Just recently I purchased a tenor with a high G and I love it. I've actually purchased another tenor tuned to a low G. But I think that's it for now. Sometimes I think about selling the concert because I don't really use it too much.

TinyJim
07-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Right now, just a concert Fluke, but later today my Pono spruce-top tenor is scheduled to arrive.:shaka:

bbycrts
07-29-2009, 06:17 AM
First I owned one. Then two. Then sold one. Bought one. Bought another. And another. Sold one. Sold another. Bought one. Sold one. Bought one. Bought another. Sold one. Bought one. Sold one. Sold one. Bought one (but would like to get around to selling it). Bought another.

I think that should bring the grand total to four...two sopranos and two concerts.

SeanKy671
07-29-2009, 06:22 AM
Yeah I got 2 ukes right now, but I only play one..
I'm sure there are PLENTY of people on the UU with just one uke..

Play long enough and another one will pop up sooner or later

ukulelearp
07-29-2009, 06:32 AM
Soon I'll give away my old one and only have my tenor.

leftovermagic84
07-29-2009, 06:38 AM
My first uke is a concert. Just recently I purchased a tenor with a high G and I love it. I've actually purchased another tenor tuned to a low G. But I think that's it for now. Sometimes I think about selling the concert because I don't really use it too much.

the concert wouldn't happen to be a mainland would it?

DaveVisi
07-29-2009, 06:43 AM
I only own one :mad: but I'm hoping that my financial status will change soon. I've only played for a month but I'm already "window shopping" for my next one.

My wish list includes:

Low G Tenor
High G Tenor
Concert (for those long fret stretches I can't quite reach on my Tenor)
Fluke (for general "knock around" use when I would worry about damaging the fancy ones) (wow, I'm already talking plural)

wfwhitson
07-29-2009, 06:43 AM
Got 5 and looking at 2 more.

BrotherUke
07-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Yup... I have two real ones an a Pineapple Sundae fantasy uke that follows me around wherever I go. I'm trying to control that by committing that I'll only buy one if I can personally pick it up in Hawaii.

ed531
07-29-2009, 06:58 AM
the concert wouldn't happen to be a mainland would it?

It's a Kamaka concert, I bought it while I was in Hawaii. I probably won't sell it because I don't want to say, "I wish I hadn't sold that one."

josuegroundhog
07-29-2009, 06:59 AM
I've had several but I like only owning one at a time.

I'm considering stepping up to two at a time so I can jam out with peeps.

ukerazy
07-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I've got two, a Tenor Eleuke and a Pono Mango Tenor... I plan in the not too distant future to get either the KoAloha Pineapple sunday or the Sceptre!

pithaya9
07-29-2009, 07:30 AM
I have one for every day of the week. :cool:

ed531
07-29-2009, 07:32 AM
I've got two, a Tenor Eleuke and a Pono Mango Tenor... I plan in the not too distant future to get either the KoAloha Pineapple sunday or the Sceptre!

Are both your tenor ukes tuned the same way ?

leftovermagic84
07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
It's a Kamaka concert, I bought it while I was in Hawaii. I probably won't sell it because I don't want to say, "I wish I hadn't sold that one."

yeah, if it's a K___ uke, never, ever sell it.

ukerazy
07-29-2009, 07:43 AM
Are both your tenor ukes tuned the same way ?

Yes they are, and when i get a KoAloha that one will be tuned the same way too. I really don't like the low G sound.

ed531
07-29-2009, 07:56 AM
Yes they are, and when i get a KoAloha that one will be tuned the same way too. I really don't like the low G sound.

Both my concert and tenor are tuned to high G. My new tenor is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and is set up with a low G.

I've never played a low G set up and I'm pretty curious as to if I will like it or not.

ukerazy
07-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I've never played a low G set up and I'm pretty curious as to if I will like it or not.

I found it harder to sing along to and not as happy sounding lol! Whats your new uke gonna be then?

ed531
07-29-2009, 08:08 AM
Whats your new uke gonna be then?

I bought the Pono-PTES 500
The one with the flower/pikake neck inlay.

GrumpyCoyote
07-29-2009, 08:13 AM
In order of appearance

1) Fluke - Concert, High G
2) K-Wave Tenor, usually High G
3) Pono Mango Tenor, Low G
4) Ohana Vita Concert(ish), High G
5) Mainland Mahogany Tenor, its still on the UPS truck, but I suspect I'll keep it low G most of the time.

For performances, I generally take the Pono for my solo stuff, and the Fluke when it's a group jam.

NukeDOC
07-29-2009, 08:14 AM
Since there are so many different types of ukes (soprano, concert, tenor, longnecks, etc) and so many different ways to tune them. Is there a Ukulele Underground member that only has one UKE ?

Just wondering...

ha. thats like asking of ed531 only has 1 guitar. :shaka:

petah
07-29-2009, 08:20 AM
3 ( in my house )

-Currently being made KoAloha soprano
- newer Kamaka Soprano
- incoming Vintage kamaka Soprano

ed531
07-29-2009, 08:25 AM
ha. thats like asking of ed531 only has 1 guitar. :shaka:

Yes... I am carefully trying to avoid UAS.

Link
07-29-2009, 08:36 AM
Currently:
A Mainland mahog tenor w/ undersaddle pickup
A Flea soprano

In the works:
Mike Irving custom tenor *drools*
Sonny Daze custom cigar box ukulele *drools*

The MI can be seen in my sig. The Sonny Daze is going to be a custom Legend of Zelda piece of ukulele art. I'm going to be scared to play both.

ukerazy
07-29-2009, 08:51 AM
I bought the Pono-PTES 500
The one with the flower/pikake neck inlay.

Beautiful, i love my Pono!

BBcakes
07-29-2009, 09:15 AM
Only one... SO FAR! :D

Tsani
07-29-2009, 09:20 AM
Maybe if I had my dream uke I could own only one - but I doubt it. Each uke has a different role.

1. Marca Aquila soprano - my main ax. I do most of my playing on this one. I love the sound and playablity of the action.

2. Favilla B-2 Baritone - I love the sound on this baby. In some ways it is my favorite, but I want to master the soprano first. The distinctive ukulele sound and tuning is the high GCEA tuned soprano. I'm afraid if I play the baritone too much, I will never really get the soprano right. But I love this instrument. I keep hoping that my son will consent to play music with me and that we can pair the sound of the soprano and the baritone, but I am just not cool enough to play with him yet - although he does play uke.

3. P'mico soprano - my son's instrument. Great, loud, bluegrass/early American kind of sound. It desperately needs some repair work though. I play this one sometimes when my son is not using it. I just love the sound.

4. Kohala (Lanikai) soprano - almost never played. Sounds awful. It is, however, signed by Jake Shimabukuro.

5. We did have a Discovery First Act soprano, but we "Deached" it to a kid in my church who wants to learn ukulele.

I am currently looking for a "beach & camping" ukulele. In other words a ukulele that sounds good, but isn't so valuable or rare that it has to be babied and protected all the time. My Marca Aquila is a rare instrument, and it is valuable - at least to me. I am nervous about taking it outdoors. I would never go camping with it - although I did take it to the lake recently for a day outing. It also went to the beach, briefly, but I was pretty nervous about it. I think I would like a Fluke, but I have not allocated the funds yet.

I am also looking for my dream uke or my almost dream uke. My dream uke - as I have stated elsewhere here is a Favilla tear drop soprano - preferably in mahogany or pear wood. My almost dream uke is any Favilla soprano.

I get severely tempted by P'mico sopranos if they are in good shape. I would also like to bid on a Mauna Loa - if it is one of the few that have the "winged bridge" and were actually made by Lyon & Healy. I would classify Lyon & Healy as a "dream uke" but their price is always way out of reach for me. Same goes for Martin and Gibson.

By the way, there is a Gibson on ebay right now that is flying under the radar. I suspect there are a bunch of bidders out there lurking and the price will go through the roof in the final hours.

ed531
07-29-2009, 09:33 AM
It seems that the average # of ukes a member has is 5. I propose that any UU member with more than 5 ukes give their extras to UU members that only have 1.

sukie
07-29-2009, 09:39 AM
I have 5 plus a kit I need to make:

KoAloha concert
Lori's uke concert
flea
polkalele
flamingo plastic soprano
and a grizzly kit to make

Ahnko Honu
07-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I have more than one 'ukulele.

UkuleleHill
07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
S'truth!

Actually, I own one uke for every member of UU.

And there are pics to prove it! ;)

Currently:
A Mainland mahog tenor w/ undersaddle pickup
A Flea soprano

In the works:
Mike Irving custom tenor *drools*
Sonny Daze custom cigar box ukulele *drools*

The MI can be seen in my sig. The Sonny Daze is going to be a custom Legend of Zelda piece of ukulele art. I'm going to be scared to play both.

I know the feeling...

I currently have 2, soon to be 3.

UWT Soprano
Lanikai Concert

In the works, a black pearl custom Sonny Daze CBU!

UkuleleHill
07-29-2009, 09:58 AM

Yeah you have a whole pineapple patch! :D

Zakulele
07-29-2009, 10:07 AM
I have 4, hoping to acquire number 5 soon.

ihavenotea
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
5. We did have a Discovery First Act soprano, but we "Deached" it to a kid in my church who wants to learn ukulele.

That was the ukulele I started with… I upgraded to a Makala Dolphin and the First Act found a new home; not without my son pining that he thought he could have it now that I had the Makala. I felt pretty bad, but had already made a commitment… Now I will either save up for a Concert Flea and then give my son the Makala, or just get him his own Makala…

pithaya9
07-29-2009, 10:20 AM

Are you sure? :worship: lol

Ahnko, I notice MGM has the mini pineapples on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tangi-solid-Mango-Minature-Display-ukulele-w-wood-stand_W0QQitemZ330348216402QQcategoryZ16224QQcmdZV iewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSICD D%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFI CS%252BUFI%26otn%3D14%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54

haolejohn
07-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Why Not?
In order of favorite to almost favorite.

1. KoAloha concert
2. Mele Double Puka koa tenor
3. Mele Solid koa top with fishman p/u tenor
4. Mele mahaghany 6 string tenor
5. kala soprano
6. makala dolphin soprano

And just ordered a Pono Solid Mango 8 string.

specialmike
07-29-2009, 02:49 PM
Simply put, those who own less than two will soon be influenced by everyone else on the forums to purchase a few more ukuleles. It only takes one to make two :)

haolejohn
07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
I've been on this greed kick and I have been thinking of saleing all but one of each size. I think we have a tendancy to overkill as americans.

HaileISela
07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
I do have, uhmmmmm...

1 Kala Spruce Top Concert
1 Kala Baritone
1 Lanikai soprano (borrowed it to a friend in need^^)
1 no name sopranino
1 no name soprano (borrowed to another friend in need)
1 Pono Mango Tenor

*I might have missed one^^

mdnjustin
07-30-2009, 04:51 AM
I've got 3
Kala Mango Tenor with a cutaway
Kamoa Pineapple
And a wall hanger, lol, I don't know what else to call it.

pink flamingo
07-31-2009, 12:43 PM
just me and my Bernard (he's the jealous type)

freedive135
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
I have 7 and 2 wall hangers...

The only reason I don't have more is I started building a basement Tiki Bar, collecting mugs and bottles of rum to stock it!!!!

Soon the UAS will kick back in I am sure.

kalmario
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
I have currently

1x cigarbox baritone (stringless after my youngest son got hold of it and smashed the neck in two!) don't worry its fixable.

1x Kala mango laminate tenor.

1x homemade concert scale converted bargin shop guitar with a homemade solid top.

mind you always looking out for a bargin, although currently in New Zealand, the ukulele prices are skyrocketing, i paid $450 fot my Kala and now i see they are $650????? also on trademe there are some rubbish ukes going for far too much coin!!

Cliff

p.s. i just scored a mini maton guitar, which is i have to say cooler than my kala uke.

itsme
07-31-2009, 04:59 PM
I only have one, a tenor which is my first. :)

KC8AFW
07-31-2009, 05:04 PM
I only have one, a tenor which is my first. :)

For now. :rolleyes: I'm just sayin'. :D

UkuLeLesReggAe
07-31-2009, 05:18 PM
hahaha, nope... cos i only own 1 :(

Pippin
07-31-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a dozen here. Most are played regularly.

itsme
07-31-2009, 05:26 PM
For now. :rolleyes: I'm just sayin'. :D

Ha! :p

Last night my husband said, "Can I ask you a question? Why are you playing *that thing* so much instead of one of your *real* guitars?"

I just said, "It's new, I'm learning something different, and it's fun." I'm not giving up on guitar, by any means.

Seriously, part of the "fun" I mentioned is UU, which has given me an enthusiasm for the instrument I never knew I'd have. :)