does guitar center fix ukuleles?

most GC's have repair shops so i would say yes. Sorry if they dont.

they sell them. i wouldnt see why not.

just go and ask them.

they probubly will.

I would highly advise against using any Guitar Center for ukulele repairs. If you live in a city that is big enough to have a Guitar Center, I would guess you probably also have a local acoustic instrument shop whose technicians would be much more familiar with how any ukulele actually is supposed to sound.

I would advise against going to guitar center for anything Ukulele, they look down at you for playing an Ukulele ( or atleast they did me ) it would be better finding someone that knows about Ukuleles, or if you are comfortable, you could DIY. It's not hard.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

Ha!

I went to Guitar Center once looking for a case and the dude couldn't even spell ukulele. I had to spell it for him something like 8 or 9 times.

But I get that vibe there too, that they don't respect my Uke . . .

I went and played their selection of ukes, Lanikai and Cordobas. The cordobas looked beautiful but they sound thin compared to my Kamaka. I had to tune all the ukes I played...no respect, no respect... go somewhere else

I wouldn't even buy a guitar from Guitar Center. Support your local music shop whenever possible. GC's the WalMart of musicians.

GC's the WalMart of musicians.

I'm trying to find out how thats a bad thing? hahaha! I'm all about supporting the local shops n all, but when I can get the same guitar at GC at a super lower price.. I'm sold! i gotta support Myself first y'know? :D

I'm trying to find out how thats a bad thing? hahaha! I'm all about supporting the local shops n all, but when I can get the same guitar at GC at a super lower price.. I'm sold! i gotta support Myself first y'know? :D

i know his point was to show support for local shops. but in keeping within the subject matter of this thread... i must agree with the analogy of GC is to music as wallyworld is to EVERYTHING ELSE. and still along those lines... for the record, i would never take my car in to waldorf astoria to get some air in my tires. so no, i wouldnt take my uke in to GC for repairs. haha.

here's a thread i posted a while back to show what was wrong with my uke. and its still like this. http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1041

i dont think there are any local shops around here, so my only choices are guitar center or myself.
if you think i should do it myself, can any one tell me exactly what i need and where i can get it.:D

Wow Bro, you asked for alot.
I will try my best to answer all of your questions.

Firstly, It is not always the case for the strings to be completly below the surface of the nut. However, I have found that you have string buzz less often, or not at all when the strings are below. If you want to lower your strings, take a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and fold it in half, and using the fold sand out the grooves a little bit more. Do a little bit at a time, and check the string height often. NOTE: changing the string height will change the action ( string height off of the fret wire ), so be aware of that, and go slowly untill you find the action that you want.

Now, about the nut itsself.
If you want to take it off, you will need a pot of water, the use of a stove, a flat sharp metal scraper, or knife.
I know that the following method works, because I just used it on an Ukulele that I am currently making.
Ok, boil the pot of water, and once it is at a rolling boil, you will want to hold the neck/headstock area over the steam for a few seconds.
Hold it about 10 seconds, and then try to slip the knife or scraper under the nut and pry it up gently and slowly.
You will need to hold it under the steam and then pry, and repeat a few times, untill the nut comes off.
After the nut comes off, you should sand the excess glue off with 100 grit sand paper ( try to only sand the are you want, if you sand the wrong area, it will mess up the finish on your Ukulele ).
Once the area is smooth, use Titebond Original woodglue ( can be gotten at home depot or lowes for less than $4 ) , and attach your new nut.
A few things you want to think about.

The steam weakens the glue joints, which is what you want, but do not put too much stress on you headstock joint, or on your fretboard. You don't want those glue joints comming apart.

Your scale ( the distance between the nut and saddle ) needs to be correct , or your Ukulele will ALYAYS BE OUT OF TUNE.
The scales are:
Soprano: 13 1/2"
Concert: 15"
Tenor: 17"
Baritone 20 1/8"
Make sure that the nut and saddle are parallel ( unless you have a low G, then tell me, and I will help ).
Use a clamp and make sure that the nut is clamped tightly and in the right place.
You can get a new nut from two good guys ( Mike and Asa Chock ) at www.hanalima.com ,
Go to the shop store link in the site navigator, and then look for the nut.

If the new nut that you get is squared, you will need to round it, and slot it.
Wrap a piece of 100 grit sand paper around a flat block of wood, and use this to slowly round the top edge of the nut that will face the headstock.

To mark the nut, measure 5/32" from one side and mark ( g string side ).
Then 3/16" from the other side and mark ( a string side ).
Then divide the distance between the two marks into 3 equal parts, and make two more marks on the devide lines.

Those four marks will be your string grooves.
Do the above mentioned process with 220 grit sand paper, and you are done.

I think that that was everything that you asked, but if not post again, and I will try to answer.

Aloha
Acabo'oe:cool:

Top Bottom