Kenya!

mangouker

Reaction score
Hey everyone in November i am going on a mission for my church for two years in Kenya and Tanzania! I am extremely excited. To remember my journeys there i want to get a uke built out of local woods by a local builder. Does anyone know of any builders in Kenya or South Africa, ill be in South Africa for the first 3 weeks, that could help me out? thanks

Be prepared for the worst culture shock of your life. It's an overwhelming experience journeying into Africa. I would think that once you get into the bush you will soon forget about Uke's and what you even look like, what food is... what comfort means, how life is valued...

Maybe send some wood back?

a typical meal we had was chicken bones. ( the night before we ate the meat, the previous night we ate the skin, legs including the feet and wings...)

Dry beans, peanuts, bush meat... no refrigeration, fly covered.... raw milk.... It was an experience.

The mandatory stay in South Africa after the 2year mark will be the surrealist experience in you life. You will relearn how to eat, sleep, talk...

Last edited:
hha well now you know one uke player

Ya im extremely excited for the whole experience, i know it will absolutely blow my mind and heart into a knew way of thinking and feeling. I am just thankful the Lord has givin me the opportunity to serve these amazing people.

and hopefully i kind find someone to make a uke..i pray

good luck, I thought the same way ( well not with ukes ). I would just get some nice wood and get some one back home to turn it into a ukulele. There are some guitar makers in South Africa but trust me it's not worth the trouble you will encounter. And I know you will forget about it once you make it into the brush.

... Oh the things you will see... it will test your faith when you experience "black magic" Getting robbed at gun point (trust me it will happen)... Having the police demand bribes or they will throw you in jail. The Aids epidemic... How low they value peoples lives... It's like an apocalyptic world!

Try and contact this Guy "Rod Neeps" He makes and plays ukulele..and He and his Wife run/Organise a Charity in Kenya..If anyone in Kenya makes ukes then he will know..This is one of his sites...http://www.fodcc.org/kenya07.htm

I would suspect that the same wood found in Africa can be found in the US. I guess I'm thinking primarily of mahogany, ebony, blackwood and satinwood. The biggest ordeal you will face, whether you bring back wood or an instrument, is getting it through customs and dealing with CITES certification. You might be better off finding a small piece of wood that you could use for the bridge, headstock or some inlay.

Best wishes on your trip.

I've just visited this website for you and here is a quote:

There is insufficient timber for sawmills, which extends upstream to furniture
manufacturers, as a result of the Government ban of 1999 on logging, unlicensed
ferrying and export of timber of timber. It is expected that this problem will be
experienced for about 10 more years, when the current crop of newly planted trees will
mature for felling.
In addition, local as well as imported timber is sometimes not well dried, graded, or is
harvested too early, which consequently affects the quality of furniture. The two
problems of quantity and quality of timber may be the main reason why plastic furniture
has recently started capturing a notable market share of the furniture industry in
Kenya.

In another article I read it seems there is a distinct shortage of wood in the carving industry...

I don't want to be the prophet of doom but I think you are going to have to have some divine help to find suitable wood for your project...

Pete your just crushing dreams...haha jk that really is quite a bummer though. Thanks so much for the info. Hopefully the Lord will bless me with beautiful wood do to my valiant service. We shall see. Thanks to everyone. Petah for the most warming comments of my soon to be home ha

Go and Enjoy yourself there. Go in with no expectations, and a lust for adventure forget about the Ukes.

Or you could tote&play one and spread the word.:shaka:

I was in the Peace Corps in Kenya. My screen name means teacher in Swahili. I was in Keiyo District, on the Western edge of the Rift Vally, near El Doret. It's a beautiful country. The people are friendly and like Americans.

Although Kenya has many wonderful wood workers, I doubt you'll find a ukulele maker. Look for the local "fundi" - think shade tree mechanic. You never know what they can do. Kenya has great wood, especially where I was stationed.

Good luck and enjoy.

What church are you from? are you from Good News Mission?