Kamaka Buzz!

kamaka_4_life

Reaction score
Hey guy's! I wanted your opinion on something. My Kamaka tenor, which I had for the past year and a half or so is awesome. It sounds good, looks good, and plays good. The only thing is that there seems to be a "buzz" on the first and second fret of the third string. I noticed it for a while but it didn't really bother me. I just want to get your opinion on it as to if I should fix it or if it's something that I should just live with? It isn't that much of a deal, it's just that I was wondering if this might be a common problem that other Kamaka Tenor owners have or it's just me. I bought it from Dan's Guitar's and he said that it was one of the best Kamaka's they had ever gotten in a while, and that I was lucky enough to have bought it. I am using D'Addario strings on my Kamaka and I have a few pics of it too. Thanks, :)

I have a Kamaka tenor as well, and I was recently having buzzing issues on the open C and E strings. I tried restringing it with about nine different types of strings, nothing would work until I tried some Worth Brown flurocarbons. I had been using D'addario J71s previously.

The really weird part is that the buzz started all of a sudden, and I took it to a luthier, and he said he would need me to put on the D'addarios again since it never buzzed with the Worths.

So this Sunday, I put the D'addarios back on so that he could diagnose and hopefully fix my problem. Here is the other weird part: all of a sudden, the buzz was gone. I've been playing it every day since Sunday and no more buzzing! (Knock on wood, that it will stay that way).

So I wish I could tell you more, but I don't know how to answer it for you. For the money we pay for Kamakas, they shouldn't buzz. One kind of bummer note: I had written to Kamaka because I wanted to see if they could look at it when I am in Hawaii this December and they never replied back. They had great customer service when it was about me ordering a tenor, and buying a tshirt, but ignored me when I had a problem with my tenor.

Good luck to you...if it helps, here is my original thread where some folks gave some advice to me on the buzzing Kamaka...
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15932&highlight=kamaka+buzz

You might try a different brand of string. If you can pick some up that have a higher tension (like Worth), that might reduce the buzzing.

With Worth clears my Kamaka tenor has a bit of a buzz on the 2nd fret, C string. If I pick lighter it almost goes away though.

Thanks!

Thanks guys! I think that I might just leave it alone. I have been using D'Addario's for a year now and really like the sound, although I noticed that I had less buzz with the stock Kamaka strings. I might try the worth strings just because my teacher uses them and that they have a brighter sound. Maybe one day I will take it back to the factory. Ohhh and if u guys r ever on Oahu let me know so we can meet up! Thanks again :shaka:

Well I don't actually use worth, but other's suggested it. I'm currently using D'Addario's. I think they r using the Worth Brown Strings! Hope that helped :)

The really weird part is that the buzz started all of a sudden, and I took it to a luthier, and he said he would need me to put on the D'addarios again since it never buzzed with the Worths.

So this Sunday, I put the D'addarios back on so that he could diagnose and hopefully fix my problem. Here is the other weird part: all of a sudden, the buzz was gone. I've been playing it every day since Sunday and no more buzzing! (Knock on wood, that it will stay that way).

Weird. I had that happen to me too with my Kanilea. It developed on my C string out of nowhere, but then after a while went away, and has never been back. It's like it caught the cold or something, and recovered. Oh well, I'm asking no questions now that its perfect again :p

I got something momentarily with my Pono Ohai, it sounded like a hum more than a buzz, and something in the heart of the instument rather than a string buzz. Like sympathetic vibrations coming from a brace at a particular frequency. Wierd, but never came back.

Hey guy's! I wanted your opinion on something. My Kamaka tenor, which I had for the past year and a half or so is awesome. It sounds good, looks good, and plays good. The only thing is that there seems to be a "buzz" on the first and second fret of the third string. I noticed it for a while but it didn't really bother me. I just want to get your opinion on it as to if I should fix it or if it's something that I should just live with? It isn't that much of a deal, it's just that I was wondering if this might be a common problem that other Kamaka Tenor owners have or it's just me. I bought it from Dan's Guitar's and he said that it was one of the best Kamaka's they had ever gotten in a while, and that I was lucky enough to have bought it. I am using D'Addario strings on my Kamaka and I have a few pics of it too. Thanks, :)

Hey buddy, my HF-3 doesn't buzz at all and I have the same strings as you. Does it buzz when you play the E string without fretting it? Has the nut been damaged at all?

I had a similar problem on my Lanikai and I restrung it with the same strungs but put it in the tuning peg the wrong way (so when you turn the peg the string tension increased not decreased) and that solved it.

I've seen your videos and it sounds good and I didn't notice a buzz so maybe if it doesn't bother you too much you could just leave it.

John

I had some buzzing on my HF-3 when I put on the D'Addarios. It turned out to be my tuner. I changed the position of the tuner on the head stock and the buzzing disappeared.

Hey Upskydowncloud!!!! I was thinking about it and I don't want to take it back to the factory and have them look at it, and then another problem arises. It's like when you try to fix one thing and another problem comes along that might be worse? Idk what i'm going to do. I live on oahu so I could easily take it down to the factory, but im just afraid of what might happen u know.

Hey Upskydowncloud!!!! I was thinking about it and I don't want to take it back to the factory and have them look at it, and then another problem arises. It's like when you try to fix one thing and another problem comes along that might be worse? Idk what i'm going to do. I live on oahu so I could easily take it down to the factory, but im just afraid of what might happen u know.

Hey I know what you mean about taking it for one thing then finding something else out. As you do live on Oahu (lucky you!) it might be worth just taking it down there and asking them, it doesn't sound like anything serious and they should at least take a look at it for free. They may know exactly what it is and be able to sort it out there and then, if it's expensive then you can just walk away. It's worth a try!

Hey upskydowncloud ur online now! u have like a webcam or something? I could show u what i'm talking about!

Last edited:
Kamaka4Life,
Why not go back to Dan's Guitars? Perhaps they'll be able to diagnose your buzzing problems.

On a different note, it's important to understand that when changing out strings, the diameter and tensions may vary from how the uke was setup, therefore leading to buzzing. Does it sound like the buzz is on the nut? Try putting a piece of paper in the nut slot before stringing up the "C" string, if it goes away, it's most likey the slot too wide or string now too thin, whichever way you want to look at it.

Does your Kamaka have a pickup? Sometimes loose parts will buzz on the lower notes, like on the "C" string. As for taking it back to Kamaka, I hear the repair list is quite long, but you can check for yourself. Don't be afraid to find out if there is a problem, with the amount of money you spent, you shouldn't have an instrument that is buzzing.

Hey!

Thanks Uluapoundr! I did take it back to dan's and they installed a pick-up for me. I had a buzzing problem and took it back to the factory where Chris fixed it for me. I have always had the Buzzing on the first and second fret of the c string. Now I want to go back and see if they could help me solve this buzzing problem. It's not much of a deal, as I was watching a few videos of Jake playing and Aldrine playing, I could also hear a soft buzz in some of their videos. The uke lesson on 1234 of the picking section, you can hear a slight buzz on Aldrine's uke too. I don't really know if this might be a common problem, but i'll pray and hope that they could help me isolate the problem and come up with a solution. Thanks :)

Thanks Uluapoundr! I did take it back to dan's and they installed a pick-up for me. I had a buzzing problem and took it back to the factory where Chris fixed it for me. I have always had the Buzzing on the first and second fret of the c string. Now I want to go back and see if they could help me solve this buzzing problem. It's not much of a deal, as I was watching a few videos of Jake playing and Aldrine playing, I could also hear a soft buzz in some of their videos. The uke lesson on 1234 of the picking section, you can hear a slight buzz on Aldrine's uke too. I don't really know if this might be a common problem, but i'll pray and hope that they could help me isolate the problem and come up with a solution. Thanks :)

Do you know what Chris did to fix the problem?

Top Bottom