Thought on forum stickie or stickies for noobs

nic579

Reaction score
I was thinking that it would be helpful for all if there could be a sickie post or two on the common questions asked by us noobs. I think that this would be something that the long standing members could easily come up with.

My noob thoughts would be:
Good Books with quick summary of what they might help with.
Videos & how-to links.
Luthier material tool suppliers.

Just a thought, what do you guys think?

Mahalo

I have seen this get out of hand. The forums usually dies out fast after it.

Interesting petah, so with your experience do you think like one post with a top 3 or 4 picking of books,suppliers and tutorial links would be reasonable. Something short and sweet?

Stickies are a tricky thing. If you have too many of them they take up a good portion of the screen and new posts get pushed down and quickly disappear on page two.

In other forums that I manage or moderate, we typically refuse or delete sticky requests. The only stickies are ones written or preauthorized by the Mods.

Stickies are good, but only in moderation.

Another forum I am on tried to create a glossary/FAQ but the biggest problem was finding someone willing to commit to the task. There were quite a few people that took it on at one time or another but quickly got burned out. Plus, there was always new resources being created so it was hard to keep up with entering the new in addition to the old.

Personally, I don't see any reason to have it. I would always encourage people to search that topic, but nothing is absolute and timeless. There are always innovations in how something is done and often new ideas are sparked by discussions. Maybe a wikipedia type site. Ukepedia.

what about a simple questionnaire to forum vips one sticky,

What are the top 3 resources you would suggest to up incoming Ukulele luthiers. One rule not your own site ot tutorials you can post them to people as you wish if others do not suggest them, this would stop it from turning into an advertisement. Would not have be stickyed but you could point the users to it when they come in rather than repeatedly answering the same questions. i only say this because of me experience from my first post. I had felt initially that i did not want to ask anymore questions here and did not post my further questions as they came up. I will get over it sooner or later but for now I have just been driving on self research. but others might just leave and not come back and i would understand that.

Another forum I am on tried to create a glossary/FAQ but the biggest problem was finding someone willing to commit to the task. There were quite a few people that took it on at one time or another but quickly got burned out. Plus, there was always new resources being created so it was hard to keep up with entering the new in addition to the old.

Personally, I don't see any reason to have it. I would always encourage people to search that topic, but nothing is absolute and timeless. There are always innovations in how something is done and often new ideas are sparked by discussions. Maybe a wikipedia type site. Ukepedia.

Ukepedia! I love the idea... and the name!

wetpaint allows you to make wiki pages for free, and they are REALLY easy to make!

The Ukepedia name is already registered. But if someone at UU wanted to add one as a subdomain on here that would be even better.

I don't know if you are planning on doing your own wiki... but with wetpaint.com it would be named

ukepedia.wetpaint.com

It's so easy to do, I don't think we need some "freebie" site name attached to it. Besides, I'd rather do it (or see it done) with the full approval of the UU staff, who have it within their power to do a much better job of it, AND keep it onsite. They can also control the login permissions to registered UU members only so the Spammers stay out.

It's so easy to do, I don't think we need some "freebie" site name attached to it. Besides, I'd rather do it (or see it done) with the full approval of the UU staff, who have it within their power to do a much better job of it, AND keep it onsite. They can also control the login permissions to registered UU members only so the Spammers stay out.

I like it!

also note that I'm not against stickies but to put all the info you guys want into 1 or 2 stickies is not an easy task. To have it neatly indexed etc... will take many stickies. and then muck up the forum. the wiki Idea is a great solution.

Top Bottom