Cool techniques to spice up a strumming pattern?

I like to employ hammer-ons and (sometimes) pull-offs in my strumming.

JJ

Three finger fans, triplet strums, five finger rolls, and muting are things I use all the time.

Something really important to REALLY spice up the strumming is to alter where you strum depending on what you want. A five finger roll down by the bridge has a very punchy, percussive sound to it, while a three finger fan up near the twelfth fret will be much softer and warm.

Steven Sproat has a new how-to DVD that is out and we are doing a review in the Issue Seven of Ukulele Player Magazine.

The DVD is being marketed under the "UkeLounge DVD" moniker. It goes from very, very basic strums and finger-picking to advanced triplets, split strums, thumb rolls, fan stroke, and more.

There will be a discount for Ukulele Player Magazine readers that want to buy the DVD.

Three finger fans, triplet strums, five finger rolls, and muting are things I use all the time.

Something really important to REALLY spice up the strumming is to alter where you strum depending on what you want. A five finger roll down by the bridge has a very punchy, percussive sound to it, while a three finger fan up near the twelfth fret will be much softer and warm.

I'm still waiting for your tutorial on your ten finger strum;)

And you are very impressive, too. I can't wait to see what the future brings with your playing and development.

I'm still waiting for your tutorial on your ten finger strum;)

I learned it from a Jake Shimabukuro Tutorial on his Play Loud Ukulele DVD. I think I'll try making one too and putting it on youtube in the next couple days.

And you are very impressive, too. I can't wait to see what the future brings with your playing and development.

Wow, thank you so much Pippin. That is a huge honor and means a lot to me coming from someone like you.

Top Bottom