will d.i.y. wall hanger material damage the uke finish?

3nails4holes

Reaction score
i'm shopping around for a uke hanger.

guitar hangers cost $15-30 from big box stores. cheapest online is about $7 + $5 sh = $12. of course the uke versions cost $13 not incl sh.

i really like the diy solutions i have seen in the uke minutes video and in other places online that utilize tool hangers. (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/06/20/uke-minutes-50-diy-cheap-ukulele-wall-hanger/)

however...

has anyone that is using or has used those hooks noticed any bad interaction between the finish (gloss or satin) on their ukes with the plastic or rubber for those diy jobs? i'm specifically looking for feedback from ppl that have been using them for several months or more.

i have seen some recommendations to cover the material with cloth or something similar, but i prefer the clean unadorned look of the hooks or the hooks that actually go on string swing versions.

i've tried to find pipe insulation at lowe's (haven't tried hd yet), but they are all of very large diameter & thickness. nothing sleek and unbulky.

i was going to simply attach this to previous threads on those hangers, but the last posts were a while back and i thought folks might be through looking those threads over.

thanks uu universe! :shaka:

Still don't own a uke yet, but I did up one of those for my acoustic a while back and haven't noticed any problems. Honestly the plastic on those hooks is actually better than the covering on some of the Fretrest stands and hangers I've seen.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/FretRest-by-Proline-GH1-Guitar-Wall-Hanger-103726766-i1171131.gc

The foam on those in person isn't doesn't always get quite the whole U covered, and those plastic ends are a hard plastic endcap, that sometimes are sticking out 1-2mm from the foam. Have heard people complain that if not careful when putting it on that has scratched finish. The other thing you want to make sure of is alot of the cheap ones(such as one I posted above) do not have screws securing hook to base, it just slides into the base. With guitars and bases I generally steer clear of it, but with a uke they're light enough where that shouldn't matter as much. If you do end up getting one I highly suggest some epoxy, superglue, gorilla glue, ect. in there just to make sure it's a little more secure.

I personally have been happy w/my diy solution. However if you do buy one, recommend looking at the Hercules brand that has the arms that clamp down in front when you set them down, they are well covered and well built.

Anwho, that's my $.02. Hope I was some help. Overall like I said though, you should be safe with the DIY.

i'm shopping around for a uke hanger.

guitar hangers cost $15-30 from big box stores. cheapest online is about $7 + $5 sh = $12. of course the uke versions cost $13 not incl sh.

i really like the diy solutions i have seen in the uke minutes video and in other places online that utilize tool hangers. (http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/06/20/uke-minutes-50-diy-cheap-ukulele-wall-hanger/)

however...

has anyone that is using or has used those hooks noticed any bad interaction between the finish (gloss or satin) on their ukes with the plastic or rubber for those diy jobs? i'm specifically looking for feedback from ppl that have been using them for several months or more.

i have seen some recommendations to cover the material with cloth or something similar, but i prefer the clean unadorned look of the hooks or the hooks that actually go on string swing versions.

i've tried to find pipe insulation at lowe's (haven't tried hd yet), but they are all of very large diameter & thickness. nothing sleek and unbulky.

i was going to simply attach this to previous threads on those hangers, but the last posts were a while back and i thought folks might be through looking those threads over.

thanks uu universe! :shaka:

I recently completed a ukulele display cabinet.
I bought a two door cabinet from Crate and Barrel.

Inside, I built a rack system out of dowel material and pipe insulation.
I also installed alighting system that uses LED strips that do not give off any heat. Even after hours of the light being on it is still cool to the touch.
It came out rather sweet.
it was also going to act as a humidifier but turns out..the humidity level bounces between the safe range. So no need to do any sort of extra humidity type of stuff.
I put in a hygrometer which tells me temperature and humidity.

So, now I don't have to worry about a uke falling over on a stand from one of my clumsy animals or fiddling around with a bunch of ukulele cases.
I can just go in and pick the uke of choice out, play it until I am done and put it back in the cabinet.

For your situation you could:

Pick up two sizes of dowel material from Home Depot...one to be the hanger and one to be a dowel.

Pipe insulation to cover your dowel (hanger)..typically the same size or 1/4" inch more if you prefer.

A back plate.

Measure out how long you want your hangers to be and cut.

Measure out how far apart you want them.

Drill a hole in each of the two hangers the size of your dowel material about 1/2" deep or better.

Drill two holes in your back plate the same size as your dowel material.

Make you up two dowels, glue them into the hanger material as far in as they will go.

Glue the hangers with dowels into your back plate until snug and flush with the plate.

measure out your hangers, cut your pipe insulation to be a little longer than your hangers and you can either....

glue them to the back plate, glue them to the hangers or leave them as is.

That'll do the trick for a wall hanger with pipe insulation.

The low cost yellow black and rough finish u hooks at the hardware stores affect some finishes only most all vinatge ginishes are affrected by it eventually and you will have two burn marks in the lacquer fron the petro in the rubber. Newer finishes such as those on kala etc are urethane based, kanileas koalohas etc are not affected by them. lacquers that are certain catalyzed prducts also are not affected...

i really like the diy solutions i have seen in the uke minutes video and in other places online that utilize tool hangers. ([url said:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2009/06/20/uke-minutes-50-diy-cheap-ukulele-wall-hanger/[/url])

however...

:

I have been using plastic coated hooks for sevral years. I am using them with 5 uks, 3 banjos with no problem.

Would love to see a picture of that!!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Would love to see a picture of that!!!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I'll snap a few tomorrow and post them here.

Instrument display cases (the multiple type with humidifier systems or without) run into the thousands.
I got this cabinet for about $400 plus tax:

WindhamBlk59in2DrCbnt3QF7

The material cost about $20 and I have extra left over.
The light strip was about $40.
The hygrometer was $20.

The savings....mucho grande in comparison to these guys:
http://www.guitarcollectorshowcase.com/

The cabinet itself is a great buy. The wood is strong. The glass is tempered and thick! A real bargain for the price!

Inside, I built a rack system out of dowel material and pipe insulation.
I also installed alighting system that uses LED strips that do not give off any heat. Even after hours of the light being on it is still cool to the touch.
It came out rather sweet.
it was also going to act as a humidifier but turns out..the humidity level bounces between the safe range. So no need to do any sort of extra humidity type of stuff.
I put in a hygrometer which tells me temperature and humidity.

So, now I don't have to worry about a uke falling over on a stand from one of my clumsy animals or fiddling around with a bunch of ukulele cases.
I can just go in and pick the uke of choice out, play it until I am done and put it back in the cabinet.

For your situation you could:

Pick up two sizes of dowel material from Home Depot...one to be the hanger and one to be a dowel.

Pipe insulation to cover your dowel (hanger)..typically the same size or 1/4" inch more if you prefer.

A back plate.

Measure out how long you want your hangers to be and cut.

Measure out how far apart you want them.

Drill a hole in each of the two hangers the size of your dowel material about 1/2" deep or better.

Drill two holes in your back plate the same size as your dowel material.

Make you up two dowels, glue them into the hanger material as far in as they will go.

Glue the hangers with dowels into your back plate until snug and flush with the plate.

measure out your hangers, cut your pipe insulation to be a little longer than your hangers and you can either....

glue them to the back plate, glue them to the hangers or leave them as is.

That'll do the trick for a wall hanger with pipe insulation.

That sounds hardcore. Not to mention AWESOME! :shaka:

I use the vinyl coated hooks from the hdw store and have no problem. I do have an instrument wall hanger from roy cone but the hdw hangers are $2 to $3. They all screw into the wall. I have also used nails covered with rebber tubing or aquarim vinyl hose material.

Joe T

Here are a few more:

Take notice of the ultra cool Deach-a-lele cigar box uke and Uke-a-Doodle in the first pic!!!
I have contemplated making a rack for the bottom but don't know if I want all of those old vintage ukes down there anywhere else but in a case.

DSC04683.jpg

DSC04684.jpg

DSC04685.jpg

In the back are a block of cedar shims to keep the cabinet and ukes smelling nice.

DSC04687.jpg

As you can see the humidty level is within the "safe range."
So I don't have to take any further steps...as of now.

DSC04690.jpg

DSC04691.jpg

As mentioned, the rack was made with dowel material.
The pipe insulation is made of polythene..like Pam...and causes no damage to finishes.

There you have it.

Top Bottom