Serious Problem

SeanKy671

Reaction score
So this is a serious scare for me, I don't even want to tremolo again haha :\

So anyway, sometimes when I play the uke I can get really into it which will sometimes cause me to play really rough.. Especially when I start adding tremolos into it..
Well, I've been noticing it's been tearing up skin on my index finger of my strumming hand..
Kinda gross I know.. kinda like a callus, but it looks different.
Plus, I've never heard of callus being built up on your strumming hand. It also is filing away layers of my nail. This is really weird.

Has anyone else experienced this??
Please.. anything is appreciated.

So is this really and problem with my ukulele?? Well, kinda..
I don't know where else to put this thread

yeah I know what you're talking about. Well for the most part, it's basically your skin wearing down and away. I kind of took some time off and someone told me that drinking milk can help the health of your skin and make it stronger (i.e. milk commercials). I gotta admit it worked for me. Well I don't know if there are other methods, but there's my two cents.

That is pretty normal. My index finger on my strumming hand has a pretty significant callus on it from strumming. I remember it actually bled when I was first starting because I was too hard on it! Yuck.

it could also be a sign that your frets need some attention.
do you strum near/on/over the fretboard?
if you do, lightly run your fingers over the edge of the frets to see if you can feel any slight burrs.
if you do, you might be cutting my fingers a little when you strum

you can easily fix it with a little filing.
check the luthier forum for fret dressing.

My first guitar was a steel six string (bought it at the Five-and-Dime). Played it 'til my fingers bled.

Yes i do strum on the fretboard, bu my fingers don't bleed no
thanks god haha

Its good to know that's normal
My scare is that its wearing away at my nail..
Almost to the pink part, ya know??
Have you ever filed your fingernails into the pink part?? uhm ya niether have I, but I just wna be carefull. Ha I haven't temoloed in like a week
(not sure if "tremoloed" is a word) xD

I have my thumb grown out. I think I'll grow my index finger out too
What so you think??

Try using a pick.

Have you ever filed your fingernails into the pink part?? uhm ya niether have I, but I just wna be carefull.

Half my nail shattered four months ago and everything grew back... keep playing; it'll make you tough, like a mustang. Mustang's are tough.

Half my nail shattered four months ago and everything grew back... keep playing; it'll make you tough, like a mustang. Mustang's are tough.

true dat holdin coffee
Mustangs are indeed tough. yet I'm not sure if that's good advise hahaha
I think I'll grow it out.. wait a week and do ma thang

And thanks salukulady for the advise.. I thought about it, but picks just aren't for me..
as u might know it does restrict you from doing a lot of technical stuff with all your fingers..

And I don't know about all that haha
I wouldn't go that road....

Top Bottom