Just started learning the uke

fa'a Junior

Reaction score
Sup everyone, Well I decided to take a try at the uke with my son. But so far, he is progressing faster than me. One thing I have a problem on is fingering the chords, guess I'm not relaxed enough. How long on average does it take to feel comfortable?

I think the UAS is starting as I purchased my 2nd uke and still don't know how to play, but my wife is alright with it for now. This site is a real good help as I can learn at my own pace. See you guys around.

E komo mai fa'a Junior. Does fa'a senior play 'ukulele, and is your son fa'a the 3rd? Where do you live? A hui hou, Ahnko Honu. :shaka:

LOL Junior is my first name. Fa'a means The way of the Samoan. I live in Aiea. You from here also?

Its only me and my son for now playing the uke , well trying to play. My son has this Mahalo uke, but I think he will be wanting to upgrade as I ordered me a nice Tenor uke and that will make him pretty jealous.

Sup everyone, Well I decided to take a try at the uke with my son. But so far, he is progressing faster than me. One thing I have a problem on is fingering the chords, guess I'm not relaxed enough. How long on average does it take to feel comfortable?

I think the UAS is starting as I purchased my 2nd uke and still don't know how to play, but my wife is alright with it for now. This site is a real good help as I can learn at my own pace. See you guys around.

Well,to tell you the truth I can't remember how long it took fingering chords..
Just keep trying and it'll slowly come to you before you know it, literally.

It's like learning the lyrics to a song..
If you listen to something long enough, you'll eventually learn the lyrics without even trying. You don't even realize how much you've memorized. And the more u play the easier it will be. And what you thought was hard will come easy. :]
Hope it helped some..

No doubt, its tough to learn the fingerings of all the chords. So don't try to; difficult things suck. If you're learning a particular song, work on those chords. Figure out ahead of time what the fingering is and then just practice placing your fingers on those chords. Do it SLOW. Practice making the particular chord changes at a slow pace and strum slowly. Listen to see if all the strings are ringing or if your accidentally muting a string. Gradually speed it up.
One little exercise I do whenever I learn a new song is to see how many of each required chord change I can complete in one minute. So if I'm doing a song with G, C, and D chords, I count how many times in one minute I can smoothly change from G to C, G to D, and C to D, and D to C and D to G (whatever is required for the song). I do this exercise each time I pick up my uke and I record my progress in a notebook!

Good luck and keep at it!:cheers:

i would give in a month or two.. when i started with guitar it took me 6 months before i felt okay with chords like C G E Am D and switching.. but with the uke.. some of those are only 1 finger. and the strings do not hurt your feelings. the key it to stick with it. i have been on the uke 9 months.. and i am still new.. and learning.. and i have a long ways to go before i am any good.. just keep it up!!

[....]

For me, who started with a Uke as my first ever instrument it took me about two weeks to get comfortable with basic chords and changing them fast enough. and on Guitar, which I started after playing Uke for about 3 months I used almost two months to get comfortable with basic chords G, C, D etc..

Talofa Lava Fa'a Samoa!! I am Samoan too man!! Live in Idaho...and only know enough Samoan to say hello and to know if I am really in trouble *Grins* I find for me that I play some chords way different then others. There are different options for chords.....so if some of them aren't feeling all that comfy find a different way to play...

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/chords/index.html <--I play a lot of chords like on this site

but here is a site that gives you different options for chording

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/chords/

Good luck and strum on.....aaaaannnndddd...everyone learns at a different pace and style...don't time ya self man!! Just jam and find what you like! :music:

All those links are very helpful, but I think the uke is giving me arthiritis, lol. My Kala soprano is too small so I think that may be part of the problem. But does anyone have any experience with this brand melokia. I bought a tenor, acacia wood, and should be getting it monday so can't wait to give it a try. I am debating about getting my son the mahogany version of this uke, but wanted to know if there is a difference in sound, as the mahogany is cheaper than the Acaca.

All those links are very helpful, but I think the uke is giving me arthiritis, lol. My Kala soprano is too small so I think that may be part of the problem. But does anyone have any experience with this brand melokia. I bought a tenor, acacia wood, and should be getting it monday so can't wait to give it a try. I am debating about getting my son the mahogany version of this uke, but wanted to know if there is a difference in sound, as the mahogany is cheaper than the Acaca.

is the mahaghany laminate or solid?

Welcome to UU!!! stick with it eventually you will be posting videos.

First of all, congrats to you for learning how to play the uke. I started learning how to play since 11/08. I am still a beginner and I am still trying to get used to the chords... and also welcome to UU!

Some of the chords have some crazy finger positioning. I been going through the different ways of playing a chord and trying to find the most comfortable way.

I had to check again and the melokia mhognay uke is a solid uke. You think there would be a difference in the overall sound? Is Kala brand mahogany solid also?

Uso, it took me ten years to finally "catch on." everytime, i would just give up and stash my `ukulele away. an den couple months ago, BAM i wen figure something out an den one nodda ting an den one odda ting an den... so no more timetable li dat. just relax and let um go. an no way can you compare yourself to your keiki. keiki pick stuff up so fast, not us makule guys. so no shame if he leaves you in the dust. my nephew is already jamming while i still going below the speed limit.

Top Bottom