Ebony fingerboard - worth it on a uke?

clayton56

Reaction score
Should I hold out for/order a uke with an ebony fretboard?

I think it's essential for a banjo but on nylon guitar it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Does it play better or sound better on a ukulele?

The few luthiers I've talked to about it seem to rank rosewood and ebony about equal. I have a uke with a rosewood fretboard and an ebony headstock. The ebony seems a little darker and finer grained than the rosewood.

I like the feel of ebony and the look of it over rosewood so I always go that route if I am having one made.

Persoanlly I think if you match the bridge in ebony over rosewood that will have a greater effect on the tone of the instrument then anything.

I have two ukes; one with ebony, one with rosewood.

I cannot hear any difference between the two. I think I can feel the slightest of differences (the ebony feels smoother), but that may be all in my head. I know I can see the difference. I prefer the ebony's darker color, and the rosewood looks more porous to me, as if the grain is more open.

Bottom line....I prefer the ebony, but my criteria may be purely cosmetic.

I dont a see, hear or feel a big difference tween ebony and rosewood.

I don't think you would hear or feel a difference.

Ebony should wear less than rosewood. How much of a difference really depends on what species of ebony and rosewood.

I would think your fingernails would wear out the fingerboard way before nylon strings

Attachments

• fretboard2.jpg
    fretboard2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 46
I personally like ebony, it does feel a bit smoother, but not so much that it makes me play any better ;). There are different grades of ebony, some have deep grooves and white streaks, those aren't as nice as the ones that are all black in my opinion.

Some makers use koa for fretboards, I've seen many worn uke fretboards where koa was used. I personally would stay away from a fretboard made of koa, even if it looks nice or matches the uke at first, in the long run, they don't hold up well.

My Moore Bettah uke has a Cocobolo fretboard which so far appears to be quite durable, stays nice and slick, and is easy to clean...plus it's a really nice wood if you are looking for a fretboard with rich grain and color.

Can someone explain how it is that the material of the fingerboard can affect the sound or tone? Just curious.

Theoretically, with all things being equal, a harder material fretboard should yeild a better tone. However, all things are not equal. Strings, callouses, pressure etc., are variable from player to player and, I would submit, hour to hour for the same player. That being said, the difference between the hardness of ebony and rosewood is negligible. It's purely esthetics.

I wonder why Lignum Vitae is not used, maybe too hard?
I want a fret board made from Kiawe a very hard locally available wood.

Can someone explain how it is that the material of the fingerboard can affect the sound or tone? Just curious.

I have some experience making banjos and I know the neck material does affect tone and sustain. The string creates vibrations at both ends, and the fingerboard is transmitting some of them. There's also the feel.

I was asking to see if uke players notice a difference. Violins are usually ebony, but ukes aren't.

I like the rosewood on the ukes I have, will probably stick with it.

I wonder why Lignum Vitae is not used, maybe too hard?

Because of the high oil content in Lignum Vitae, it doesn't glue very well.

I have some experience making banjos and I know the neck material does affect tone and sustain. The string creates vibrations at both ends, and the fingerboard is transmitting some of them. There's also the feel.
You are right, the neck material on banjos does make a difference in the way a banjo sounds.

There has been a decades long argument if the neck material on guitars make a difference in sound. IMO if it does, it is very negligible.

Because of the high oil content in Lignum Vitae, it doesn't glue very well.

I forgot about that, my dad had propeller shaft bearings made from the stuff. Teak is another oily wood but some glues work for Teak, and I would guess it might work for Lignum Vitae as well. I would think an oily wood would make for a nice fretboard. Just thinking out loud. :rolleyes:

My 2 latest 'ukuleles have fretboards made from Lychee fruit wood light purplish brown in color, very dense wood and an interesting contrast from my Ebony, and Rosewood fretboard 'ukuleles.

Should I hold out for/order a uke with an ebony fretboard?

I think it's essential for a banjo but on nylon guitar it didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Does it play better or sound better on a ukulele?
Yes. I can't explain any sound difference but I really like the feel of ebony.

My 2 latest 'ukuleles have fretboards made from Lychee fruit wood light purplish brown in color, very dense wood and an interesting contrast from my Ebony, and Rosewood fretboard 'ukuleles.

I never seen Lychee so I googled it and found that it is indeed a beautiful wood. Reminds me of Black Cherry (one of my all time favorite woods)

at this point, its whatever looks better...

IMO you are 100% correct

Just a word about Cocobolo. Some of the exotic hardwoods are fairly allergenic, causing contact dermatitis, and Cocobolo is one of those. If your skin is easily irritated you might want to avoid it. I've gotten so I develop a slight rash when I work with the stuff unless I wear a long sleeve operating room gown (which luckily I have free access to in my day job).
Apart from that, it's a fabulous timber. It would make a wonderful back and sides for a uke.

I just like the look of rosewood more, ebony seems too "manufactured" in my opinion.

Top Bottom