I need opinions on what uke to buy :O!

Personally I would go with the solid spruce top. I don't think the KA-T is solid. There are advantages to each. If you like brighter tone go with the solid spruce. If you want a more durable the laminate is the way to go, not that the spruce top is fragile.

I have a Kala Tenor spruce top (maple back and sides) and had a Tenor Mango Laminate and they were/are both fine instruments. You boing in San Jose you might be able to get to a store and try each out. Check this thread for stores close to you.

Ohh okay thanks for your help. A lot of people have been telling me they like the KA-ST better. But some other people have been telling me that the KA-T looks more Hawaiian than the spruce because the spruce looks more american and guitar-like.

But some other people have been telling me that the KA-T looks more Hawaiian than the spruce because the spruce looks more american and guitar-like.

That is true the spruce does resemble a guitar. It is a very popular top wood in the guitar world. The spruce does not appeal to everyone in sound and/or looks. If you have any other questions or want some other suggestions let the good folks here know what you are looking for and how much $$ you are looking to spend.:shaka:

Purely on sound, I'd go with the Spruce top. If you're more concerned about looks and willing to spend a bit more, there are some other woods that look more traditional that ca also be found with solid tops.

My avatar shows me playing my Kala ST.

It does look very "guitar-like" but I love the sound. That it has a solid top and Spanish Heel construction (neck block is an integral part of the body construction and not just glued on) is an added bonus.

Ohhh. I see. I want a good sound so I think I'll buy the spruce top. Thanks everyone! You're opinions are appreciated. ;]

Top Bottom