PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

ukulelearp
07-31-2009, 10:09 AM
Is it just me, or do a lot of their songs work out really well on a ukulele? Maybe it's just because I play their songs a lot, but it seems like a lot of their songs translate very well. I was just wondering if there's any actual reason for this, or it's just the fan side of my brain taking over :D

ichadwick
07-31-2009, 10:18 AM
...do a lot of their songs work out really well on a ukulele?
It's because the Beatles were Gods. So of course their music would work well on the Divine Instrument.

salukulady
07-31-2009, 10:41 AM
It's because the Beatles were Gods. So of course their music would work well on the Divine Instrument.
Amen Ian, amen. Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

ukulelearp
07-31-2009, 10:52 AM
Amen Ian, amen. Watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5k-OE0-fWs

That's a good video, I'd had bookmarked for a while.

Bluke
07-31-2009, 11:04 AM
There IS a reason. Their songwriting is among the best ever in the history of music. When you are that talented and creative, it comes through regardless of the instrument.

BrotherUke
07-31-2009, 11:08 AM
Does anyone know what George's uke collection consisted of? I've Googled that question but didn't get anywhere.

Craig
07-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I couldn't have said it any better!

salukulady
07-31-2009, 11:14 AM
My daughter's name is Penny Lane.....really.

toubisard
07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
George Harrison carried a Ukulele everywhere he toured and used it to compose. So perhaps he influenced John Lennon and Paul McCartney in the same way and they experimented with the same chords. That would explain why some of their songs are 'Ukulele friendly'. This theory has no basis in fact and is simply an idea for further discussion.

ukulelearp
07-31-2009, 11:36 AM
George Harrison carried a Ukulele everywhere he toured and used it to compose. So perhaps he influenced John Lennon and Paul McCartney in the same way and they experimented with the same chords. That would explain why some of their songs are 'Ukulele friendly'. This theory has no basis in fact and is simply an idea for further discussion.

That was my first thought, but then I realized that a lot of songs that weren't written by George work out too. But that's why I think a lot of George Harrison's songs work so nicely.

JKoval
07-31-2009, 11:39 AM
Maybe that's why a lot of their guitar chords are seemingly ridiculous with all the sharps and stuff. Heck, a Cmin11 (yeah, I was confused too) on a ukulele is only one finger on the C!

Monosabio
07-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Why is much of their stuff blocked on Chordie, and who is claiming that copyright has been infringed? What I have seen on other sites is a touch complicated with some "challenging" chord changes etc. (Well, challenging for me anyway)..........:confused:

Skrik
07-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Why is much of their stuff blocked on Chordie, and who is claiming that copyright has been infringed?

Michael Jackson is not dead. He lives in seclusion in Micronesia, and is heading an international team of lawyers with the aim of restoring his fortune.

UkuleleHill
07-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah I figure that it has something to do with Georges love for the uke... He probably as mentioned before composed on the uke then moved it to guitar...

ukulelearp
07-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Another good reason for George Harrison being my favorite Beatle :D

Pippin
07-31-2009, 03:40 PM

And George, Paul, and John all three played ukulele.

A great melody is all it takes.

Skottoman
07-31-2009, 03:59 PM
I play "Here comes the sun" all the time on my uke. It is like it was made for the song....
Cheers,
Skottoman

ukulelearp
07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
I play "Here comes the sun" all the time on my uke. It is like it was made for the song....
Cheers,
Skottoman

So do I! That, and "Let it Be" I play a lot.

toubisard
08-02-2009, 01:42 AM
When I was a little boy, back in the sixties a kid in our street had a 'Beatles guitar' made of plastic with pictures of the group. Guess what! It only had 4 strings. We could ask Paul Mc Cartney for his input.

uke552
08-02-2009, 07:45 AM
Another good reason for George Harrison being my favorite Beatle :D

I second that! "Something" is a great song to play on uke. There are several versions floating around out there but the one from Jim Beloff's 1960's songbook "60's Uke-In" sounds great and was even transcribed by George for the book.

Kmetzger
08-02-2009, 11:08 AM
I recorded a version of Harrison's "If I Needed Someone" Beatle's song a couple of months ago, using just my KoAloha soprano, plus fender bass and drums. You can hear it on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/metzgerspace . It's the first song in the music player half way down on the right. Really made me realize how well suited many of the Beatle's songs are for the uke. (I since bought an *amazing* tenor Moore Bettah, which i'm finishing up a new recording with - but still *love* the little koAloha.)

uke552
08-02-2009, 11:27 AM
I recorded a version of Harrison's "If I Needed Someone" Beatle's song a couple of months ago, using just my KoAloha soprano, plus fender bass and drums. You can hear it on my myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/metzgerspace . It's the first song in the music player half way down on the right. Really made me realize how well suited many of the Beatle's songs are for the uke. (I since bought an *amazing* tenor Moore Bettah, which i'm finishing up a new recording with - but still *love* the little koAloha.)

Great Job! I love it!

Captain_Lovehandles
08-04-2009, 03:30 AM

I see there's no shortage of fellow Beatles fans here. Thought you might enjoy a cartoon I did in a Seuss-y style. I titled it "Smart One, Cute One, Funny One, Quiet One". Kind of a take-off on the One Fish, Two Fish...

http://captainlovehandles.com/soco_sample.jpg

Come to think of it, the cute one's instrument looks about as much like a uke as it does a bass.

RevWill
08-04-2009, 04:59 AM
Awesome artwork, Captain!

It's all about Hamburg. When the Beatles were forced to play early afternoon sets in the bars in Hamburg in addition to the late night sets they were often too tired, worn out and hung over to jump around and scream Long Tall Sally, so they learned lots of show tunes and laid-back stuff like Red Sails in the Sunset. Turns out the laid-back stuff they learned had lots of cool chords and complicated structures, and that found its way into their songwriting.

Cool chords and complicated structure sound GREAT on a minimalistic instrument like the uke, which is why Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Here Comes the Sun, and Something will translate wonderfully to the uke more so than your average Rolling Stones song.

upskydowncloud
08-04-2009, 05:59 AM
Does anyone know what George's uke collection consisted of? I've Googled that question but didn't get anywhere.

He's playing a Kamaka concert in the that video. According to the Kamaka website he would often go into uke shops in Maui and buy out all of their Kamakas to play and give to friends as gifts. Decent!

RevWill
08-04-2009, 06:36 AM
Tom Petty said that George once gifted him with something like four or five fabulous ukes at once. When Petty asked why, George said, "you never know when we'll all be over and want to play them."

Spooner
08-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Is it just me, or do a lot of their songs work out really well on a ukulele? Maybe it's just because I play their songs a lot, but it seems like a lot of their songs translate very well. I was just wondering if there's any actual reason for this, or it's just the fan side of my brain taking over :D

I think it's because Beatles are related to fleas. :p

ukulelearp
08-04-2009, 09:08 AM
He's playing a Kamaka concert in the that video. According to the Kamaka website he would often go into uke shops in Maui and buy out all of their Kamakas to play and give to friends as gifts. Decent!

Sounds like a decent enough gift.

salukulady
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I think it's because Beatles are related to fleas. :pSpooner, off topic, is your screen name from, "death of an unpopular poet"?

Spooner
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Spooner, off topic, is your screen name from, "death of an unpopular poet"?

Yes ma'am...I am the dog with all the royalties. :biglaugh:

It's short for Spoonerhizolehound.

Ken
08-04-2009, 12:39 PM
It might just be me but it's easier to sing their songs too I find.

salukulady
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Yes ma'am...I am the dog with all the royalties. :biglaugh:

It's short for Spoonerhizolehound.Ahhhh "spooner his old hound". Not a song you hear very often, even on Sirius. Heard it today and thought of you, figured it had to be the origin of your name. Livin' on steak and bacon.

Spooner
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Ahhhh "spooner his old hound". Not a song you hear very often, even on Sirius. Heard it today and thought of you, figured it had to be the origin of your name. Livin' on steak and bacon.

Growin old on...but who's keeping track. :p

In my dog house ten feet 'round!

One of the best songs ever written!

(BTW..did you check out Ilo on my radio this week? AWESOME!!!)

salukulady
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Growin old on...but who's keeping track. :p

In my dog house ten feet 'round!

One of the best songs ever written!

(BTW..did you check out Ilo on my radio this week? AWESOME!!!)Hey, it was the first time I really listened to the words, Sirius doesn't play his old stuff as much as they did before Sirius.

No, but I will.

Spooner
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Hey, it was the first time I really listened to the words, Sirius doesn't play his old stuff as much as they did before Sirius.

No, but I will.

Hell...JIMMY doesn't play his old stuff as much.
They really need me on the team. ;):p

Thanks for thinking of me though. : 0 )

You'll LOVE the Ilo stuff!!!