Old, unfinished build....

mailman

Knit-wit
UU VIP
Reaction score
Here's a question for you luthiers out there.

I attended a guitar building class years ago.....actually, it was in 1981. I started to build a steel-strung 12 string dreadnaught guitar out of beautiful flame maple.

The sides, back and neck are maple, and the soundboard is old, bookmatched Sitka spruce. The body is fully braced and assembled. The neck is assembled, complete with steel truss rod. The rosewood fretboard is installed, but only about half of the frets are installed. Although I have a rosewood bridge, it has not been installed. It has a slotted headstock, and the classical style tuners have been fitted.

As best I can tell, it still needs binding, some frets and the bridge and nut installed, and the finish.

My question for you guys is this. How much do you think it would cost me to have this project finished? Would it be worth the investment to have a pro bring this old project to life?

mailman, come one dude, finish YOUR guitar. You're almost there! There are plenty of online info to get the job done. Don't pay someone else to finish your work you started so many years ago. It will mean so much more to you if you finish the job...e.lo...

mailman, come one dude, finish YOUR guitar. You're almost there! There are plenty of online info to get the job done. Don't pay someone else to finish your work you started so many years ago. It will mean so much more to you if you finish the job...e.lo...

+1

Nothing could possibly match the satisfaction of something built yourself!!

I hear you, really I do! I'd love to finish it myself, but I lack the tools, the shop and the know-how.

I'll try to scan and post my build photos later. It's a crime that this thing never got finished....

I hear you, really I do! I'd love to finish it myself, but I lack the tools, the shop and the know-how.

I'll try to scan and post my build photos later. It's a crime that this thing never got finished....

Mailman, I ain't buying the "know-how" story. Dig deep brother. Learn the skills. Borrow the tools. Do it on your kitchen table if you must...but do it dude...e.lo..

Top Bottom