Low G or High G ???

ed531

Reaction score
So here's the story, I received my new Pono Tenor today. It was set up with a low G (as I've requested). I've played it for about 20 minutes and I can honestly say that I don't like the low G. A part of me is saying, "you already have a high G tenor uke, give it time before deciding on changing this one to a high G". The other part of me is saying, "might as well change the low G if you don't like it".

My concern is I don't want to have a uke that stays in the closet because I don't like one string... on the other hand, would owning two tenors both tuned to high G make sense ?"

My question is, tenor players, which do you prefer ?

BTW, Pono and the other 3 strings sound nice :D:D:D

Give it some time. You can always change to high g later if you want.
I got a Pono a few months ago with the low g and really like the different sound it produces.

strings can make the difference. Is it set up with ko'olau golds? those are pretty mellow strings and for someone used to high G it might just be too deep and mellow for you. Try putting on some worth clears (low G) to brighten the sounds up a bit. If you decide you really don't care for low G on that tenor swap it to High G and try putting some different low G sets on your other tenor. Low G is INVALUABLE for transposing songs in key, since it allows you to dip below middle C unlike a high G uke. That bieng said high G definately has the advantages when it comes to taking advantage of Campanlella effect.

I think its best to have both, because there are different pieces that are played better in each, and if you only have them tuned in High G you'll probably not learn arrangements for uke that dip below middle C

I hated low G the first few days. Now, I still prefer high G.. but I play my low G flea more. Wierd, but that's how it is.

I wouldn't have them on my tenor though. I hate wound strings.

Thanks for the info. I think I know what I'm going to do. I'm going to buy a doubleneck uke and tune it to both low/high G. :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:
If you get a double neck, it'll have to be custom made, usually 8 string top and 4 string lower, something like this Moore Bettah . . .

double_neck_uke_002_op_449x903.jpg

I have two tenors, and up until yesterday I had the Kanile'a tuned to low g and the Kamaka tuned to high g. I never played the Kanile'a though, and it just gathered dust on the wall - I figured it was because I liked high g tuning better. So yesterday I decided it was better to tune them the same and play them both then to just let it be a really expensive wall decoration.

I switched the Kanile'a over to high G and I'm still not playing it as much. I played only the Kamaka today. So I suppose I will put it back to low g after all.
So in the end, although I am incredibly indecisive, I'm opting for keeping one low g and the other high G...

half and half

I have my Tenor in Low G, and my long neck soprano in low G too (for the moment). I have 2 sopranos that cover the high G for now. I like to switch back and forth, and there are some arrangements that are only for high G and others that are only for low G.

–Lori

low g for rhythm/backup, high g for melodies/fingerpicking.

Alright, so I've played the low G a little more this morning and I can see the benefits of having a low G and a high G uke. I'm going to keep the low G and if I find that I don't use it as much I'll change it.

Thanks All

:shaka::shaka:

just play it out...you'll adjust. or you can do both high g and make one your "clawhammer" uke. Or just tune it old school to A, or whatever it is.

this was my lesson learned with duplicating instruments...I'd rather have 2 different instruments than the same one. Try next time getting like a 6 or 8 string for variety.

What I haven't seen in all these threads relative to low G is anything about the strings themselves. You can order strings with a low G as a set or just order single low G's like Aquila sells. BUT most of you will have to order them from an internet source and have to pay shipping.

I put an Aquila low G on a Kala Concert and liked the sound but it wore out in less than three months and I had to buy a whole set of strings to do that. I didn't like that idea. So I went to Guitar Center and bought two D'Addario Pro Arte classical guitar silver wound D strings. This cost $3.63. No shipping.
I put one half of one string on a Fender Koa tenor uke and it sounds great with it's Aquila brother strings. Should I want to go back to a high G I can buy the proper Pro Arte classical guitar string and I am not out ten or twenty bucks. Does this make sense? Some people only use Savarez classical guitar strings on their ukes. Aren't uke strings just glorified guitar strings? We shouldn't be taken in by slick marketing.

Joe T

As of today's mail delivery, I can now say I have a Kala Tenor in each of the two G tunings.

I'm already learning that most of my fingerstyle solos don't work well on low G, but strumming chords has a much mellower sound than the high G.

It's good to have choices.

The only thing I can add is that I hated my Pono tenor in high g the way it came to me second hand, and I put low g Worth browns on it and I love it, it and my Kamaka concert in high g are both my finger pickers and my overall top fave ukes. If I had to only keep two it's those babies, as is.

I really prefer the tenors in low g (at least this one), and as pointed out there is a lot of music out there for it. I have a cigar box concert that I was sure I'd love in low 4th tuning and couldn't abide it, and had to swap it back after a few weeks. Since I have a baritone I'm messing around with and don't like the current set of strings, I AM going to try a high 4th on that and see how that works out.

If I had two tenors, I would likely have one in each set up. Glad it's working out, and remember strings take some time to settle and play in. It could sound a lot better to you two weeks down the road!

Top Bottom