Oscar Schmidt help

lax-uker

Reaction score
Well I had believed to had found the perfect ukulele to buy (as my second ukulele) but i had researched a few things and came up with a few negative things toward Oscar Schmidt. So i decided to bring it here and see if anyone could help me as a Oscar Schmidt Ukulele owner or even just a better informed person then I to possibly inform me of Oscar Schmidt's reliability and maybe even if someone else has purchased the one I wish to get and could tell me about it. Thank you The Ukulele I want to buy is a Oscar Schmidt OU5LCE Cutaway Acoustic Electric Hawaiian Koa Concert Ukulele - Link http://www.instrumentalley.com/Oscar-Schmidt-OU5LCE-Cutaway-Electric-Ukulele-Uke-p/ou5lce.htm

It's a nice instrument, and it should be very well made, their instrument almost always are. But for $200, you could probably get something with a solid top that will sound a lot better. However, you might not be able to get the electronics if you do that. So it's really just a matter of what you want. But don't worry too much about the sound difference, unless you're a very serious player it won't make too much difference. The ukulele I play the most is a laminate, and it sounds fine to my ears. That being said, that sure is a pretty instrument!

I hear that the quality control problems that plagued Oscar Schmidt ukuleles in the past have been corrected. I believe they're still over-built, though. Last year Deach bought two OS ukes of the same model, but when he got them, they were built quite differently.

As beginner ukes go, I think they're okay, but you can get better ukes for the money. I'd buy an Ohana, Kala, Lanikai, or Mainland before I'd buy an OS.

Don't be too swayed by the word koa in this case. It's laminate wood.

I hear that the quality control problems that plagued Oscar Schmidt ukuleles in the past have been corrected. I believe they're still over-built, though. Last year Deach bought two OS ukes of the same model, but when he got them, they were built quite differently.

As beginner ukes go, I think they're okay, but you can get better ukes for the money. I'd buy an Ohana, Kala, Lanikai, or Mainland before I'd buy an OS.

I think seeso basically said what I wanted to say. For the money, there are some better choices. And by "overbuilt", I think he means that they are built almost too strudily, almost like a guitar.

Ok thank you i probably wont get that then. I was wondering though about COrdoba because i found a pretty good one and think i might want to get it http://www.ukuleleworld.com/cordoba-20-tmce-tenor-ukulele.html?manufacturerid=195

I've never played a Cordoba, but I know I love their guitars. I've heard very good and some not so good things about their ukuleles. A search would probably turn up some good opinions.

Last edited:
Oscar Schmidts are very well made instruments...:) I have owned 4 or 5, including both laminated and all solid wood...All of them play easily and have a pleasing tone but...Each one lacks loudness or projection...:( They just don't sing out, if you will...!!!

Regarding quality control, they are hit and miss...Of the 4 or 5 I've had, I had to send 2 back as the bridge was coming up one and the intonation was way off on another...They did react very expeditiously though and corrected the problem in both cases...Their customer service after purchase is excellent...:)

Go with a Kala...They build some very nice ukuleles for the price...:D

Haha, ugh the two ukuleles found that fit my specifications are bad, and i cant find any more.

There are plenty of other brands, try Kala, Ohana, or Mainland. They seem to have very good reviews.

Last edited:
Cordobas have had the same reviews. Over-built and inconsistent. FYI.
Not sure to agree with you. My APC (Antonio Carvalho, idem as Cordoba) is a really nice instrument. (much better than many chinese mass products...) and all solid woods.
See my vids on YT at Ukeval to have an idea.
V.

Maybe check this out

http://www.zzounds.com/item--LNKSTEQ

This price is a bit lower, it's a solid top, has the cutaway+electronics and I would imagine there's a concert version of it as well if you're sold on the size.

Oh, and here's the Kala equivalent from musicguymic

http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-KA-STE-Sit...ash=item3a51541894&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Those are pretty nice< i have one last question however, what would be the difference in sound, playability, etc between one of those and a ukulele like this http://folk-instruments.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mitchell-12-Fret-Concert-Ukelele?sku=518976 (This is my current)

Not sure to agree with you. My APC (Antonio Carvalho, idem as Cordoba) is a really nice instrument. (much better than many chinese mass products...) and all solid woods.
See my vids on YT at Ukeval to have an idea.
V.

Cool, I'm glad you like yours. I have played some nice Cordobas and some bad Cordobas. You got a good one.

I have an Oscar Schmidt OU-6 and absolutely love it. I think it's comparable to many more expensive ukes I've tried.

Top Bottom