Tenor Strings on a Baritone?

Ahnko Honu

Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with baritones and in that case tenors too owning just one tenor since February tuned to low g. Anyways I have a baritone coming but I hate standard baritone tuning preferring gcea. Will tenor strings fit a baritone? Should I get high or low g? Anyone here play a high G tuned baritone? Will the tenor strings sound okay being a tad thinner? Mahalo for the input. :shaka:

Just curious, why would you buy a baritone if you hated the tuning? I've heard of some people using tenor strings on a baritone, but I don't know enough to tell you much about it. But I'd imagine it'd work alright.

didnt read anything but the shorter response and the title (sorry, Jager does that) but for a Baritone, you need (if you want standard GCEA tuning) a Baritone Tenor string set. you CANNOT use strings you would normally use on a Tenor/Concert/Soprano. If you did put those on, youd snap the neck. Maybe not right away, but it will snap.

BTW, I need to keep my wallet away from me while drinking, Ive got 8 pairs of Oakleys atm, (gf works at SGH) and just bought another.

I want to play a baritone for it's deeper tone but don't want to learn a whole new set of chords to play it. I was never a guitar player which the baritone tuning (DGBE) was originally set up for. When I go 6 strings it won't be guitar tuning but ADGCEA of the guitalele and Mexican Requinto.

I also like the baritone played, as John Kavanagh suggested, "as a long scale tenor". He told me that light gauge tenor strings would be fine on a bari that I wanted to tune F Bb D G, which I like much better on the one I put Worth brown light tenor strings on. They are fine, tension is still "soft" and the strings are easy to fret. The sound is very clean. I have the advantage of all unwound strings as well. My other bari has Hilo baritone strings with an unwound Hilo low 4th G for tenor (the set was high 4th g), and I really don't like the Hilos in standard DGBE baritione tuning much at all. The old dead strings this vintage uke came with actually sounded better, so I'm looking to swap them for something else.

I believe John played his baritone tuned A D F# B. I trust his experience. I also miss him tremendously! :(

hey ahnko. good to learn there are bari strings in gcea. i did have a tangi bari that i had strung with tenor gcea strings and it was fine. i too wanted the low sound of a bari without having to learn new chords. for me, i found that it wasnt a "wow baby oh yeah" kind of a difference. there was a difference but not enough for me to do it again.

Cord Shapes

Arent all of the DGBE cord shapes the same shape as gCEA cords just a few notes lower?

Thomas

Yes, the're a forth lower. The F cord shape gives you a C, and the G shape gives you a D ect. It can be confusing to try to switch back and forth.
I tried it and had to stick with one.
If you have two people and one person plays the DGBE tuned and another plays gCEA it souds real nice!:):)

I prefer the sound of ukuleles tuned to GCEA and guitarleles tuned to ADGCEA, that are normally tuned to EADG and EADGBE, respectively...The higher tuning seems to bring out a more responsive and vibrant tone...:D

Top Bottom