Need a name for a glorious new Waverly Street banjolele...

EricStetson

Reaction score
I got a 'lil present for myself in the mail today, a concert banjolele

http://www.wsukes.com/95/u95.html

Made by Dave G. After I've spent some proper time with it I'll do a full review of it in the right discussion board for that - but, just a preview: It's frikkin' awesome. I've named my other 3 ukes along with all my other gigging instruments, and for me it's bad luck to play a show with a nameless instrument. My Lanikai tenor is Uke Skywalker, and my beater soprano is 'Ukeleia. My Pono mango concert is Marzipan...and now this one. Before the names just sort of farted out of my brain, but now that I'm on this forum I figured I'd run it by the community and see what you guys thought. My (drunk) buddies and I came up with these good ones so far:

Hamp-star
Sugar Magnolia
Hopulikit (it's actually the name of a small town right next to Statesboro, pronounced "hope-you-like-it")
Marge Simpson
'Lil Wayne

...there is also a slew of profane yet very funny name suggestions that I'm not sure I can post on here. In any case, could I have some suggestions from my fellow ukers of the world?

:cheers:

Eric Junior :D

Not being one to name inanimate objects, especially not with an intimate or affectionate name that would suggest these objects are in any way capable of recognizing, much less responding to it, my ukes are called "Pono mango", "Kala cedar", "banjo uke", "cigar box" and so on.

My recommendation therefore is:
banjo uke.
To differentiate it from other banjo ukuleles, you could call it:
the banjo uke
or even:
my banjo uke.​

To my eye, Banjoleles look like bald ukuleles. Since they have white skins I propose that we name it after a famous bald white guy. How about "Telly"... for Telly Savales, the American actor famous for the phrase "Who loves ya' baby?". Because you know that your new baby going to be shaing the love when you hear that beautiful Waverly Street Banjolele tone! ;)

Last edited:
Not being one to name inanimate objects, especially not with an intimate or affectionate name that would suggest these objects are in any way capable of recognizing, much less responding to it, my ukes are called "Pono mango", "Kala cedar", "banjo uke", "cigar box" and so on.

My recommendation therefore is:
banjo uke.
To differentiate it from other banjo ukuleles, you could call it:
the banjo uke
or even:
my banjo uke.​

:D I agree, this is what I would do too. But if I were you, I might choose R2D2, 'cause of the metal. It would travel well with Skywalker.
If you get a Resonator Uke, you could call it C3PO.

–Lori

Last edited:
I have to go with the theme here....

Chew-Banja

(you know you love it....)

To my eye, Banjoleles look like bald ukuleles. Since they have white skins I propose that we name it after a famous bald white guy. How about "Telly"... for Telly Savales, the American actor famous for the phrase "Who loves ya' baby?". Because you know that your new baby going to be shaing the love when you hear that beautiful Waverly Street Banjolele tone! ;)

Wow. BrotherUke FTW - I love it! My vote is Telly also!

Ah come on I just came up with the name Banjo Calrissian!!

seriously your going to name it after Kojac???? That dudes greek anyway...

And what are you going to name your telecaster uke that we must all one day own?

Oban-Jo Kenobi?

Jo Jo Ban-ks?

My hubby named my 1925 banjolele "Stitch" because it looks like an alien next to my ukuleles.

Are you coming to the Southeast Ukers meet-up in Atlanta? I'd like to hear how that rascal sounds!

I don't yet know if I can make it up - if it's a good time for me to visit my brother who's around there, then I'll make the drive, but from point A to B, Sweetwater Park is around 5 hours drive. In any case, I will post a movie of it in not too much time - I'd love to show off some banjo-style fingerpicking on this thing, honestly with the flourocarbons on there it sounds unmistakably "banjo" and can be just as loud as my full-size banjo, but it's not hard to play softer and blend in with another uke. I've been grinning for the past 2 days straight from playing this thing, and I already have 2 set lists for this month that I've been asked to play it. (Rainbow Connection fits this baby TOO well.)

Banjo Calrissian is my favorite name suggestion by the way, and everyone I mentioned that one to agrees. Thank you everyone for your contributions - vahn, if you ever come through Statesboro, I owe you a beer. :cheers:

Top Bottom