playing da uke at work?

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
how many people here actually play uke at work?

menehune and i were exchanging messages about this on youtube and thought it would be a cool thread.

i basically have my own suite in a medical office building. so my "bosses" are never really around. but they have caught me on occasion playing my uke. but even they think its cool so they dont say anything. and my patients seem to like it whenever im practicing. so the more they like it the more i do it... but only during the late part of the work day when i dont have to be in four places at once. so early patients get to go home sooner, while the later patients are rewarded for their patience... if you wanna look at it that way.

being able to practice at work has made a huge impact on my playing abilities. and i still practice even more when i get home. and ive been kinda chronicling my progress through youtube. its pretty interesting to see the difference.

so how many of you out there are actually able to practice while at work? how has it helped you? and what kind of work do you do (for those looking for a career that will allow them to play uke while on the clock hahaha)?

I am night manager at a hotel and am widely known to play in my downtime. Everybody (fortunately) seems to accept it. Maybe its the "touch that case and die" attitude I seem to display that makes them leave me alone about it. They figure it must be important to me.

i'm teaching english in japan, so whenever i have downtime i'm free to do whatever i like. :)

I'm a concrete mixer truck driver. I pack my fluke with me every day and play while I wait to be loaded or wait to unload. I play a lot but I'm not getting better at the rate I want:cool:

Last edited:
I occasionally bring my uke in to work if I already know things are gonna be kinda slow (and if I didn't bring the motorcycle in to work.. LOL)

Any play time you can sneak in is gravy. It all adds up. Most people feel they progress too slowly but teaching the fleas how to jump isn't easy. Takes time and consistency. The more you play the better you get. Simple.

I got caught playing guitar at work once, so I don't bring the uke in (although it is a stealth instrument). But it looks like my job is being outsourced to Bangalore so I'll have much more time for the uke.:D

Im a firemedic and I play my uke at work when I have down time, Also if I start getting really stressed out I will grab it and go out in the stalls and play IZ's wonderful world or something.

I have pulled the uke out at lunch time to show a guy that plays guitar. For the rest of the day the whole pre assembly department had summer breeze stuck in their brain. I am not sure that it is quality practise time, other than being able to play in front of people.

At my old job I worked nights in a call center so I brought my uke to work all the time but at my new job 3 out of my 5 days are normal buisness hours so I only bring it on saturdays and sundays... But yeah it comes with me when I can bring it...

Well, I don't work yet, but I do occasionally bring it along with me at school... I have some teachers who don't mind about my playing if we aren't doing anything else, and it gets me experience at playing in front of crowds... and being swarmed by various people every time I take it out.

...I do, however, have a teacher who threatened to smash it to bits and throw it out of the window if he saw it out of its case again.... I shall keep it in mind.

I can't take it on my daily jobs. (I'm a mover, but when I go on long hauls there's plenty of time when the other guys driving. I'm about to do a gig to San Fran, I'm sure I'll have plenty of time on that trip.

I'm a PhD student. "Work" is an amorphous term.

I do play the uke when I'm taking a break from reading or writing, quite often. I have a research assistantship, and I don't take my uke into the institute I work at, but that's mostly 'cause I'm not good enough to play without embarrassment, yet. When I get good enough, I really intend to buy a little Mahalo or some other cheap little thing and bring it in and keep it there-- I find that playing often loosens me up when I'm stressed, and helps me think when I'm stuck on a problem.

Ideally, I'd like to get a couple of the other people there to start playing around on it, too-- maybe get them into it. I'm sneaky like that.

I teach at an Elementary school in Japan and I bring my uke to work everyday! Our school year has just started and it looks like I don't have any classes on Thursdays. So, I know I have one whole day to practice on the clock!:D

I work in an office alot, but i travel about a week a month and bring my uke along. Once it gets nicer outside I think I will bring it along to play at lunch.

I am on UU alot at work. Don't tell my boss though

Last edited:
Great job Nukedoc, lots of people playing at work, thats awesome!! As for me, I'm a Registered Nurse in a very busy Brooklyn Emergency Department. I've been doing this for 3 years now, not as long as i've played the ukulele (5yrs and counting), but I've only started thinking about bringing it too work since I joined UU, you guys are inspiring. So, knowing that most days I'm running crazy taking care of my patients, and most definitely it would not be permissible to play in the ER itself, I would have to play it during my break, if I am able to take it that is. I have my Kala soprano that would fit in my locker, but things have disappeared from other peoples lockers before, so I am hesitant to do that. And with summer approaching, I don't dare leave it in the car... I'm in a bind, but I think I will just keep it in the locker, case and all.

I work from home too. Playin the uke is the perfect time killer. ;)

i've been bringing the uke to work (at my engineering job); but I have yet to break it out and play it. Lately, the idea of bringing my electric to work is growing on me, as no one will be able to hear it except for myself.

I work at a high school in SoCal in Special Ed. So far I've only brought in my Uke once to play for the secretaries, but later this week I'm going to be playing for the severly disabled class.

(Gimme a break, I've only been playing for a month!)

Top Bottom