Votes: 182 32.8%
  • My singing is bad

Votes: 199 35.9%
  • I don't know

Votes: 51 9.2%

• Total voters

ukulele2544

Reaction score
South Korea (Originally from Honolulu, Hawaii)
How good can YOU sing?

Me? my singing is bad... At least I think that way, I don't know what you guys think...
Maybe I should put up a video on YT of me singing.

Last edited:
I recorded myself for the first time the other day. My playing sounded much better than I expected. My singing sounded worse than expected and I did not think it would be very good!

That said does anyone know any good tabs for songs written to be played without singing?

Maybe I should put up a video on YT of me singing.

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

I never sang.

Now I sing. Poorly but proudly.

I think someone had a sig on here that was a quote to the effect of "They may say I didn't sing well, but can't say I didn't sing."

Whoever it was I appreciated it. A lot.

I think someone had a sig on here that was a quote to the effect of "They may say I didn't sing well, but can't say I didn't sing."

Whoever it was I appreciated it. A lot.

Well, um, that was probably me! :D

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

That's a quote from Florence Foster-Jenkins, who actually was a notoriously awful singer. But she enjoyed singing, so that's what she did. There's much to admire in that, IMHO.

JJ

(Oh, and thanks for the shout-out, Seeso!)

Last edited:
Oh, it's bad...very very bad. To the point where my Mom once told me, "Oh, that is a good song for you to play...it is an instrumental."

Never mind that my cousin is an opera singer, who actually won the Cardiff competition in Wales and has CDs, etc...that talent clearly doesn't run in our family...

If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing.

Everyone should sing and dance, it's like exercise for the soul.

Oh, it's bad...very very bad. To the point where my Mom once told me, "Oh, that is a good song for you to play...it is an instrumental."
Don't ever tell a child that. It will stay with them for life. My older sis had an experience like that and NEVER joined choir in school, something she desperately wanted to do, for fear of criticism. She's now in her 60's and sings very little, although she loves to.

I figure i am not really good at it, but at least i try and practice a bit, it gets better that way...well i hope anyway :)

I'm probably somewhere between "bad" and "not too bad". I can carry a tune but don't have the greatest voice. I'm an alto and I know it, if I try to go too high, I enter suckage territory. :p

That said does anyone know any good tabs for songs written to be played without singing?
If you like classical and fingerpicking, there's some nice stuff out there. Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair are good examples. :) Picking adds melodic interest that makes up for the lack of a vocal line over pure chord strumming.

Coming from the guy who has one of the finest voices here, that's easy for you to say. :cool:

If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing.

Everyone should sing and dance, it's like exercise for the soul.
That was beautiful! Mind if I make it my sig? :)

I get a LOT of comments on YouTube telling me that my singing voice is "okay" or "not bad"

Sounds like compliments to me. :D

I'm probably somewhere between "bad" and "not too bad". I can carry a tune but don't have the greatest voice. I'm an alto and I know it, if I try to go too high, I enter suckage territory. :p

If you like classical and fingerpicking, there's some nice stuff out there. Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair are good examples. :) Picking adds melodic interest that makes up for the lack of a vocal line over pure chord strumming.

Coming from the guy who has one of the finest voices here, that's easy for you to say. :cool:

That was beautiful! Mind if I make it my sig? :)
Not at all

Voices change with age. First change for most males is
when they reach puberty, and for me at least it was a
shock not to be able to hit those high notes anymore.

A good example of voice changing with age is Bob Dylan
During his career his voice has had many different styles,
and it was after a traumatic motor cycle accident that his
voice was at it most mellow, but at present he is sounding
like a Tom Waits that as gargled with razor blades.

Another singer whose voice has become deeper is Leonard
Cohen, and I have read that rather than learn new chords
to accomodate his lower voice he had a special guitar made
with lower tuning.

I think it is important to be able to sing comfortably within
you vocal range, and therefore I often transpose songs into
a different key. I hate to strain in an attempt to hit notes that
are outside my reach, and I will choose songs I am comfortable
with.

Find your own voice and use it.:shaka:

Top Bottom