PDA

View Full Version : How good do YOU sing?

ukulele2544
08-01-2009, 03:16 AM
How good can YOU sing?

Me? my singing is bad... At least I think that way, I don't know what you guys think...
Maybe I should put up a video on YT of me singing.

Melissa82
08-01-2009, 04:11 AM
I have no idea, lol

No Talent
08-01-2009, 05:12 AM
I recorded myself for the first time the other day. My playing sounded much better than I expected. My singing sounded worse than expected and I did not think it would be very good!

That said does anyone know any good tabs for songs written to be played without singing?

wfwhitson
08-01-2009, 05:34 AM
Just like a Bullfrog

Ukulele JJ
08-01-2009, 05:36 AM
Maybe I should put up a video on YT of me singing.

Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

seeso
08-01-2009, 06:44 AM
Ukulele JJ is my favorite singer on UU.

josuegroundhog
08-01-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes, you should!

And remember, there's no licensing procedure or test or other special requirements for singing. Anyone can--and should--sing. Good? Bad? Who cares! You have the right to sing.

JJ

I never sang.

Now I sing. Poorly but proudly.

I think someone had a sig on here that was a quote to the effect of "They may say I didn't sing well, but can't say I didn't sing."

Whoever it was I appreciated it. A lot.

Ukulele JJ
08-01-2009, 09:19 AM
I think someone had a sig on here that was a quote to the effect of "They may say I didn't sing well, but can't say I didn't sing."

Whoever it was I appreciated it. A lot.

Well, um, that was probably me! :D

"People may say I can't sing, but no one can ever say I didn't sing."

That's a quote from Florence Foster-Jenkins (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Foster_Jenkins), who actually was a notoriously awful singer. But she enjoyed singing, so that's what she did. There's much to admire in that, IMHO.

JJ

(Oh, and thanks for the shout-out, Seeso!)

wickedwahine11
08-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Oh, it's bad...very very bad. To the point where my Mom once told me, "Oh, that is a good song for you to play...it is an instrumental."

Never mind that my cousin is an opera singer, who actually won the Cardiff competition in Wales and has CDs, etc...that talent clearly doesn't run in our family...

salukulady
08-01-2009, 10:30 AM
If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing.

Everyone should sing and dance, it's like exercise for the soul.

salukulady
08-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Oh, it's bad...very very bad. To the point where my Mom once told me, "Oh, that is a good song for you to play...it is an instrumental."
Don't ever tell a child that. It will stay with them for life. My older sis had an experience like that and NEVER joined choir in school, something she desperately wanted to do, for fear of criticism. She's now in her 60's and sings very little, although she loves to.

marvtobi
08-01-2009, 10:39 AM
I figure i am not really good at it, but at least i try and practice a bit, it gets better that way...well i hope anyway :)

itsme
08-01-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm probably somewhere between "bad" and "not too bad". I can carry a tune but don't have the greatest voice. I'm an alto and I know it, if I try to go too high, I enter suckage territory. :p

That said does anyone know any good tabs for songs written to be played without singing?
If you like classical and fingerpicking, there's some nice stuff out there. Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair are good examples. :) Picking adds melodic interest that makes up for the lack of a vocal line over pure chord strumming.

Coming from the guy who has one of the finest voices here, that's easy for you to say. :cool:

That was beautiful! Mind if I make it my sig? :)

puremarkska
08-01-2009, 12:02 PM
I get a LOT of comments on YouTube telling me that my singing voice is "okay" or "not bad"

Sounds like compliments to me. :D

bumblemark
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
i have good voice control....
but my voice just doesn't sound good haha

salukulady
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I'm probably somewhere between "bad" and "not too bad". I can carry a tune but don't have the greatest voice. I'm an alto and I know it, if I try to go too high, I enter suckage territory. :p

If you like classical and fingerpicking, there's some nice stuff out there. Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair are good examples. :) Picking adds melodic interest that makes up for the lack of a vocal line over pure chord strumming.

Coming from the guy who has one of the finest voices here, that's easy for you to say. :cool:

That was beautiful! Mind if I make it my sig? :)Not at all

wee_ginga_yin
08-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Voices change with age. First change for most males is
when they reach puberty, and for me at least it was a
shock not to be able to hit those high notes anymore.

A good example of voice changing with age is Bob Dylan
During his career his voice has had many different styles,
and it was after a traumatic motor cycle accident that his
voice was at it most mellow, but at present he is sounding
like a Tom Waits that as gargled with razor blades.

Another singer whose voice has become deeper is Leonard
Cohen, and I have read that rather than learn new chords
to accomodate his lower voice he had a special guitar made
with lower tuning.

I think it is important to be able to sing comfortably within
you vocal range, and therefore I often transpose songs into
a different key. I hate to strain in an attempt to hit notes that
are outside my reach, and I will choose songs I am comfortable
with.

Find your own voice and use it.:shaka:

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-01-2009, 10:25 PM
no clue, i dont sing often... buh i wud say badish.

mrplatypus70
08-01-2009, 11:02 PM
I cannot and should not be allowed to sing. My voice deeply disturbs me, however I do not let this stop me! I would rather play to back up someone who can sing real well.

Pippin
08-02-2009, 01:34 AM
I love to sing, especially harmonies.

Bratset
08-02-2009, 06:01 AM
My singing is not good :)
But I still love to sing and don't let my voice stop me, although I prefer playing while someone else sings :)

Playscool39
08-02-2009, 01:38 PM
Let me put it like this, people are happy when I stop:D

Uncle Rod Higuchi
08-02-2009, 02:10 PM
I don't sing for a living, but I do sing a lot.

I generally moderate at our SUPA song circles, and if you've read my thread about finding the One Key to rule them all, well, it's like this. I'm a Baritone so I tend to sing in a lower register. That doesn't bode well for the Sopranos and Tenors who make up SUPA. The point of the thread is to get your suggestions regarding how to handle leading singing with people who have different ranges.

I'm not opposed to transposing. In fact I believe we should do more of it, even to the point of having a song in several keys to accomodate various vocal ranges. This would mean having a few moderators to handle the various keys.

Anyway, getting back to how well I sing, people have complimented me when I sing on the sidewalks of Waikiki, ... but what have they been drinking before they offered their compliments?

I believe I can carry a tune through a song, if it's a song I'm familiar with.

There's sample on the Videos and Links category under S-U-P-A per YMCA. Here's the link. Hope you enjoy it.

http://www.4shared.com/file/118553383/e5d52e6c/SUPA.html

Capt Amazo
08-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I think my singing is 'meh or under' but noone else seems to agree o.o

I think it's a conspiracy to send me out with false hope (shifty eye)

uke5417
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

Well said!

Skrik
08-19-2009, 12:50 AM
I sing all the time, I always have. To myself, at least -- after 18 years of being told how bad I sound, I am more than a little wary of laying my head on the block again. But I intend to gather together some recording equipment, record a song or two, and determine if I am as good as I think I might be, or as bad as the (ex) missus made me fear I was.

ukeshale
08-20-2009, 02:54 AM
my singing's bad but... I like doing it so deal with it :D

veep
09-02-2009, 04:23 AM
so go to my youtube page and take a look .

PoisonDart
09-02-2009, 07:50 AM
I don't necessarily care for my voice, and it can take me a moment to get on key if i don't do warm ups, and i can't always get to where I need to go in C...

But, I sing a lot better now than I did a couple months ago when I never sang.

Just decided to jump into that water and see where it takes me.

HaileISela
09-02-2009, 08:03 AM
I can't really tell, but let me put it this way: I do not like to listen to my own songs.^^

Vindelanda
09-02-2009, 08:09 AM
I sing okay, I can hold a tune, but my voice isn't that great or exciting. It's just average.
I never used to sing (except perhaps in the shower) until I got started on the uke and now I really enjoy strumming and singing along. Somehow holding an instrument makes it way less intimidating.

ihavenotea
09-02-2009, 08:40 AM
Yes, you should!

Indeed. Everyone should sing. It is one of the most marvelous things there is.

I cannot and should not be allowed to sing.

No, absolutely untrue. There is no one who should be prevented from singing. Everyone should sing. We all can. And we can all improve.

One thing that all the folks who feel they are bad singers should keep in mind: if you listen to a recording of yourself and hear things you don't like, those are the very things you can fix.

If you hear you are flat, you can learn to fix that. If you hear your tone is odd, you can fix that (though probably not the general recording dilema of "do I really sound like that?"—but one can definitely address fundamental tone issues). If it sounds like the song is too high or too low for your voice, you can fix that.

The only ones who should worry that they can't improve are those that can't hear what is wrong. (In which case, ironically, they won't have any confidence issues.)

So if you can hear things in your singing you don't like, rejoice! You have the skill you need to get better!

Anyone who posts a "alright, I am finally going to sing" video to this thread, I will subscribe. And if you ask for it in the video description I will happily give pointers and constructive feedback.

Now go out and sing for us!

Pueo
09-02-2009, 11:41 AM
I really ENJOY singing, but I have never recorded myself so I am not sure how it sounds, but I know if I can hit the notes or not and I think I have good pitch, just not the best range. I like to do Karaoke and RockBand a lot. Sometimes when I play at home my wife makes comments like, "you don't HAVE to sing..." which I am not sure if she's just tired of hearing the same song over and over while I am practicing or if it's because I'm not sounding that great. I've asked if it's because I sound bad but she just says "No" but whatever maybe she's trying to be nice. I guess I have to record it. What I really want to learn is Hawaiian Falsetto singing. Does anyone know if you can LEARN how to do that, or do you just have to be born with that ability? I think it is a beautiful thing and I am always blown away when I hear it. I sing along to falsetto in the car and can hit many of the notes, but that's only when I'm by myself, I'm too shy to try it in front of people! I know I can't sing along with the Bee Gees...

Ukulele Jim
09-02-2009, 11:49 AM
I like to think I fake it pretty well.

ihavenotea
09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I really ENJOY singing, but I have never recorded myself so I am not sure how it sounds, but I know if I can hit the notes or not and I think I have good pitch, just not the best range. I like to do Karaoke and RockBand a lot. Sometimes when I play at home my wife makes comments like, "you don't HAVE to sing..." which I am not sure if she's just tired of hearing the same song over and over while I am practicing or if it's because I'm not sounding that great. I've asked if it's because I sound bad but she just says "No" but whatever maybe she's trying to be nice. I guess I have to record it. What I really want to learn is Hawaiian Falsetto singing. Does anyone know if you can LEARN how to do that, or do you just have to be born with that ability? I think it is a beautiful thing and I am always blown away when I hear it. I sing along to falsetto in the car and can hit many of the notes, but that's only when I'm by myself, I'm too shy to try it in front of people! I know I can't sing along with the Bee Gees...

Falsetto can be learned. Some people have nicer sounding falsetto's than others (mine is useful in a choir or for backing vocals but is best not used when I sing lead).

You can figure it out on your own, formal voice instruction can really help if this is something you really want to develop.

russ_buss
09-02-2009, 12:19 PM
i hate the sound of my own voice but i make do with what i've got.

but.....

according to my youtube comments, i can sing anywhere from "good" to "flush yourself down the toilet, please!". so i voted for "not bad". that's middle-groundish right?

sukie
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
I sorta like to sing but it's really hard. I'm lower than an alto. Until someone catches me singing and says it's not too bad, I'll remain silent.

ukulele2544
09-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Ukulele JJ is my favorite singer on UU.
What about Aldrine?

salukulady
09-02-2009, 04:08 PM
I sorta like to sing but it's really hard. I'm lower than an alto. Until someone catches me singing and says it's not too bad, I'll remain silent.You are a contralto.

sukie
09-02-2009, 04:21 PM
You are a contralto.

Thanks, Sally. I hate telling people I sing tenor.

TinyJim
09-02-2009, 05:08 PM
In the shower, I rival Pavorotti, but in reality... I can hold a tune but sound nasally and crappy... I don't impress myself!

ihavenotea
09-03-2009, 06:39 AM

You need to develop your voice, sukie. There are simply wonderful thing that contraltos can do that no one else can!

Plus we are all eagerly awaiting your next video!

salukulady
09-03-2009, 06:50 AM
I am also a contralto. As a freshman in high school, I was trying out for a production of West Side Story and sang the Jet Song (a tenor boys song). After I sang the first two lines, the choir director jumped out of his chair and yelled, "What class are you in second period?" I said, "Math" and he replied, "Not anymore." Turns out he was short tenors in Concert Choir and needed me. It was great, as a freshman girl I got to sing tenor amongst all the really cool good looking seniors boys. Sometimes having a low voice pays off. Take that all you sopranos.

seeso
09-03-2009, 07:52 AM
What about Aldrine?

Aldrine's a good singer, and of course, an absolutely amazing ukulele player. He's got the whole package, but JJ's vocals are my favorite.

Melissa82
09-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Aldrine's a good singer, and of course, an absolutely but JJ's vocals are my favorite.Mine too. :)

haolejohn
09-03-2009, 10:32 AM
The only person that I know of that enjoys my singing is God. Well sometimes my wife says I sound ok but that is during worship.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-03-2009, 02:11 PM
We all sound good to God - "Make a joyful noise..." etc.

I really appreciate it that He looks upon our hearts! Don't you?

All things considered, especially in a crowd of (let's say 30, 40 , 50+) Uke players, probably no one sounds "bad". It's the same with playing the uke. In the same crowd probably no one sound "bad" playing their ukes.

That's why we've got to stick together folks! And there's not a more supportive group of instrumentalists than ukulele players, period!

sukie
09-03-2009, 02:12 PM
And there's not a more supportive group of instrumentalists than ukulele players, period!

Isn't that the truth.

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-03-2009, 02:25 PM
What a wonderful community to be a part of.

And many, if not most, of them are right here on UU!

How fortunate we are indeed!

Thanks to the founders, moderators, and members who make up this wonderful community! And about those car stickers....

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-04-2009, 01:39 AM
i can only sing specific songs well, i cant sing country. rap. reggae like some people can do (sing everything)

songs like "thats just the way it is" by bruce hornsby... Sung it in front of school before, and go re-asked to sing it at an assebly of excellence or something, i just need to learn how to play the piano!!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-04-2009, 07:14 AM
It just dawned on me that when I learned to play the uke (ready for this?) back in 1960(!), I wanted to sing along with the current rock-n-roll love songs I heard on the radio. This meant at least 2 things: 1) I had to learn how to transpose from what I heard on the recordings to the key I felt most comfortable with, and 2) I had to teach myself to sing and play at the same time (accompany myself singing).

Unfortunately there was no internet nor UU at that time. So what happened? I played around until I could do what I wanted. In other words, Un-structured and Un-supervised practice. At the time it didn't seem like "practice". After all I was "problem solving" with the uke.

In a similar way, for those on this thread, perhaps all we need is permission to go for it any which way we can. I'm sure there are better ways to get to where you want to end up, but let's not forget that your own attempts to get there are valid indeed.

My testimony is that it hardly ever felt like "work" to figure out what I wanted to do/have as a result. Sure there was frustration from time to time, but it was always somewhat of a joy because somehow I was always making progress, or so it seemed.

The same experience awaits those of you who will simply go for it.

That's my .02, for now!

Keep uke-in',

Ahnko Honu
09-04-2009, 07:35 AM
I LOVE to sing, in the shower, at worship, karaoke, even in the supermarket. I love to sing spontaneously making up songs and lyrics. I love singing even more than 'ukulele playing. That being said I'm not that great a singer but I have fun doing it. :)

kailua
09-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Let me put it like this, people are happy when I stop:D

That's me. My voice = fingernails across a chalkboard. :eek:

kailua
09-04-2009, 08:03 AM

Thanks for that nano second of inspiration! Seriously, very well said. :)

salukulady
09-04-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for that nano second of inspiration! Seriously, very well said. :)thank you, pass it around.....

ukulele2544
09-04-2009, 12:19 PM
I wish I could sing like Michael Jackson... :D

ihavenotea
09-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I wish I could sing like Michael Jackson... :D

He could sing (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/world/europe/03jackson.html?_r=1)? hmm… maybe you are talking about someone else…

haolejohn
09-04-2009, 03:04 PM
I LOVE to sing, in the shower, at worship, karaoke, even in the supermarket. I love to sing spontaneously making up songs and lyrics. I love singing even more than 'ukulele playing. That being said I'm not that great a singer but I have fun doing it. :)

Ahhh spoontaneous songs. My wife hates/loves my spontaneous songs in public. They embarass her yet make her laugh. She never knows when I'm busting one out.

ukulele2544
09-04-2009, 06:29 PM
He could sing (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/03/world/europe/03jackson.html?_r=1)? hmm… maybe you are talking about someone else…
No not him.. this person (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=438&pictureid=2626).

Uncle-Taco
09-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I can't sing. I mean I can't sing AT ALL. You can't fit enough i's in stiiiiiiiiink to describe how badly I sing. People at church move to other pews. Dogs howl. House plants die.

Oh, I'll do it once in a while. :D
Sadly, as bad as it is, it gets worse when I try to do it while playing an instrument.

I'd give anything to be able to sing, but it is what it is and I console myself by accumulating instruments. ;)

ihavenotea
09-05-2009, 06:01 AM
No not him.. this person (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=438&pictureid=2626).

Oh, that Michael Jackson.

ukulele2544
09-05-2009, 12:26 PM
Oh, that Michael Jackson.
lololol :D

davoomac
01-25-2010, 12:27 AM
I loovve singing. But I'm not all that good at it ^_^

FHS-72
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
I think with practice and the more you sing in front of a group, that helps to build your confidence. And with confidence that'll help your throat muscles to relax to sing more comfortably. I think that's what helping me because I'm more relaxed now.

boscotiny
02-04-2010, 11:57 AM
If my wife and I go to a restaurant and it's packed, she'll ask me to sing. Instant table available! The only drawback is avoiding the stampede leaving the joint.

SailingUke
02-04-2010, 01:06 PM
Just keep singing, the more the better.
If you sing enough you WILL hits some rights notes, even if by accident.
Besides, unless you are trying to sell me a concert ticket, who cares, it's all in fun (or should be).

flea_bitten
02-04-2010, 04:48 PM
I desperately wanted to be in the school choir when I was 6. After a few weeks of telling me I was singing flat - they me a gave me a triangle to play. LOL.
Haven't sung since.

Swampy Steve
02-05-2010, 04:54 AM
I really like singing, but I cannot sing good. People have told me "its not that bad" and stuff like that ,,, but I do not have a pleaasing voice.
I love to sing along with Jack Johnson, and if he is turned up loud enough, my voice doesnt sound as bad, LOL
I know you can learn to sing,, but some people are just born with a pleasing singing voice, I wasnt.

salukulady
02-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Grammar Police here: Shouldn't it be, "How Well Do You Sing" ?

Yorito
02-28-2010, 04:49 PM
I used to have really bad pitch problems. In fact, I don't think I've ever matched pitch until recently. I'm slowly getting better. :P

SuperSecretBETA
02-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I have my on and off days—mostly off days, but at least I have on days every once in a while.

Carolina Uku
03-01-2010, 02:57 AM
I used to do it all the time, though I'm not good at it. I don't sing very often now, my boyfriend has a talent for music and it makes me feel self-concious...

salukulady
03-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I used to do it all the time, though I'm not good at it. I don't sing very often now, my boyfriend has a talent for music and it makes me feel self-concious...No no no no no! If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing. Do not let your spouse, boyfriend or significant other intimidate you and keep you from anything. Sing like a bird, Carolina Uke!

bigploch
03-01-2010, 05:13 AM
I think anyone can sing tolerably if they practice enough with some simple training and honest constructive critique. I hit some notes and I miss some notes but you can't get better if you don't do it.

SweetWaterBlue
03-01-2010, 05:18 AM
With enough reverb, anyone can sing. That's why you sound so good in the shower :)

Carolina Uku
03-01-2010, 07:20 AM
No no no no no! If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing. Do not let your spouse, boyfriend or significant other intimidate you and keep you from anything. Sing like a bird, Carolina Uke!

I sing... when I'm alone xD
Actually he doesn't mind me singing, he never complaint, but I get embarassed u.u
Anyway we're moving in together now so I guess I'll get used to sing in front of people, at least in front of him, I don't know if I'm ready for "other" people. Thanks for the little push :) (Yes, I use a lot of smileys, thank you. Haha)

covernment
03-06-2010, 07:37 AM
i think im pretty bad haha but i try and im not scared to do it in front of people

Zukester
03-18-2010, 12:04 PM

I have a friend whose a professional singer and voice coach and she says the same.

Keep yourself well hydrated, shake yourself out before you start and lower your soft palate - as if you're about to yawn (or vomit) and the air - and sound- will flow out easier.
It's good practice to fill your lungs with air and watch your stomach expand rather than enlarging your chest with air, then force all the air out (practice with one note) then inflate again - be warned, the sudden oxygen increase of breathing this way causes massive headrushes!
these exercises have helped me be more relaxed about singing and less self conscious.

My friend also said it was ok to copy what other singers sound like - I personally wish I could sing like Gene Clark or Paul Rogers but it's never gonna happen!

Zukester
03-18-2010, 12:23 PM

I was being polite and not saying anything coz I'm new here!

izzypwns
04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
i c walk and i talk as in to sing and dance :) http://www.youtube.com/user/izzypwns#p/a/u/2/_jMRK7n5AmU

Uke Gently Weeps
04-29-2010, 04:27 AM
I've been told I sing very well. I've been singing in choirs/men's chorus since I was about 10 (15 yrs+) but I don't like to sing solo, except maybe in the car along with the radio. I think having the uke to accompany myself will help with that. I try to emulate Paul McCartney when I'm singing pop type songs. Think, " 'Til there was you" style. Once my uke playing gets better I'll think about putting out a few YT vids. Too bad the webcam adds 15 lbs.

DAPuke
04-30-2010, 06:31 AM
I sing OK. I am discovering how difficult is to sing & PLAY at the same time.
Here's a quote I heard on a talk show many year's ago. The host asked an actor/singer whether they considered themselve's an actor or a singer?
The reply, "Well actor's consider me a singer and singer's consider me an actor". Love it! DAP

nscafe
04-30-2010, 06:56 AM
I sing OK. I am discovering how difficult is to sing & PLAY at the same time.
Here's a quote I heard on a talk show many year's ago. The host asked an actor/singer whether they considered themselve's an actor or a singer?
The reply, "Well actor's consider me a singer and singer's consider me an actor". Love it! DAP

Yep, singing and keeping a strum pattern going is very difficult for me. I tend to get all out of sync with both. Practice practice practice is what people say. I think I need a metronome.

Keef
05-17-2010, 09:47 AM
when I was a kid I thought I could sing but now as an adult 48 my voice runs out of sound in the high and low range.

if you cant sing already can you be taught to sing?

poopylungstuffing
05-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I learned to talk through singing...It was drilled into me over and over by my grandmother who also trained me to get up and sing in front of other people on request. Singing has always been a really big part of my life and the part of the brain that most people use for singing is the part I sorta use for talking...so I talk-sing most of the time...maybe except when I am angry...I started mimicking musicals and memorizing them at an early age...and so on..I was always one of the stronger singers in my music classes...and it was one area where i thrived even though I grew up with developmental and some learning difficulties. I joined a band when I was 15, and I was in that band for 10 years. Before that I was in a few musicals and plays and such.
My voice has actually gotten a bit higher as I have gotten older, at least I prefer singing in a high range when I can.
My band was a loud rock band, and though I was tested as being a soprano when I was younger...I had to do alot of weird stuff to be heard over that really loud band. I damaged my voice a lot in those days. I was losing my voice all the time...Sometimes I tell people who remark that i have a unique voice that it comes from vocal damage.
I would like to take lessons so that I can focus on preserving my voice a bit since I am physically getting older. I am in a band, but we don't play a lot...and I often perform solo...so that is a lot easier on my voice.

In short...
Some people like my voice.
Some people think I sound like a dying cat
I like my voice...it is important to me.
When I lose my voice and am unable to sing, I feel like a big chunk of me is gone.
I will never be famous from my voice...I am no Edith Piaf or Johanna Newsome or what have you...
But it is passible.

izzypwns
05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
:o i love to sing people say i have a bad voice others say i make the smile :o

JamieFromOntario
05-29-2010, 02:18 AM
Yep, singing and keeping a strum pattern going is very difficult for me. I tend to get all out of sync with both. Practice practice practice is what people say. I think I need a metronome.

Hey Nate,
I think a metronome is a good idea - using it frequently may help you "internalize the beat."
But regarding strumming and singing together, I would suggest a practice or exercise that helps create rhythmic independence (aka the ability to keep track of more than one rhythm at a time).
I studied music at university and the book we used was "Rhythmic Training" by Robert Starer. This book starts off with very simple rhythms and progresses to absolutely ridiculously difficult ones. What I really like is that, right from the beginning, you have to tap the beat of the song and say a rhythm at the same time. Maybe I'm just a nerd (well....actually, there's no maybe about it!) but I found this book very helpful when we used it in class.
thats my two cents,
Jamie

JamieFromOntario
05-29-2010, 02:31 AM
when I was a kid I thought I could sing but now as an adult 48 my voice runs out of sound in the high and low range.

if you cant sing already can you be taught to sing?

Heya Keef!
Sure you can learn to sing!

Regarding running out of breath in the high and low registers:
Try, when you inhale, to inflate your body with air, starting low in your gut (aka diaphragm) and then filling your chest somewhat. As you singing, the tendency will be to let your diaphragm deflate like a balloon with the air being let out. Use your stomach muscles to resist this colapse/deflation or your diaphragm/gut.
This kind of support is most important when singing in our upper and to a lesser extent lower ranges.

Now for the but....
DO WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!! Singing technique is difficult to explain because none of us can see the mechanism; it's hidden inside of us. At least when we are playing uke, we (or an outside expert or teacher) can clearly see when we are doing something weird or detrimental in our playing.

peace out,
Jamie

pnaichick
06-09-2010, 11:54 AM

Oh man, this is an issue of mine as well. I can play a song, but then when I try to incorporate the words, the strum goes out the window. It helps when I have something to listen to or watch say on youtube and play it over and over and over again. Memorize the song separately, the strum and then the words until they're both known by heart, then it's a matter of marrying them together and pray the marriage works, but of course will take some work. :) Glad it's not just me. ^.^

Bipolar Joe
06-27-2010, 01:51 PM
I am an absolutely brutal singer. I get around it by screaming, so then people don't think "Jesus, that guy is a terrible singer", they think "Jesus, that guy is loud!" I used to play at an Open Mic' session here in Limerick, and they had a sticker next to the mixing desk that "Bipolar Joe setting - DO NOT FORGET!!" next to the microphone input volume. The sticker was WAY down.

When I sing, and actually TRY to sing, no yell, it's so bad it's embarrassing. My voice wavers about the place, and can't hold the note. I've recently found that talking the lyrics, more than singing, helps, but I haven't tried it out with an audience yet, which is where it gets really bad.

I think a lot of people who don't have a great voice but still make a living off it do it by totally owning what they have. Dylan, Nico, Springsteen, they aren't great, but they completely wreck most people with the passion they put into singing.

RuthMarie
07-07-2010, 11:57 AM
I sing well. :) I'm very active in musical theatre and enjoy singing opera as well.

kissing
07-14-2010, 04:12 PM
I thought my singing was good.
I had the good breathing technique from playing wind instruments.
I enjoy singing.
I like to sing nice and loud at church, etc.

And so one day I thought I'd record myself singing.... and was shocked to find that I had been living a lie D:
I sounded really bad, out of tune and realised how difficult it is to record voice.
So.. I've been humbled and decided I need more practice and advice xD

RevWill
07-23-2010, 06:18 AM
I have been told I sing quite well.

I love to hear Seeso, Zoe, Aly, Ken Middleton, Aldrine, and a whole slew of others at UU sing. This is a dangerously talented crew.

Keef
07-23-2010, 07:00 AM
im thinking my singing is average but im haveing trouble breatheing so when I start singing I end up coughing perhaps I can cough in time with the music :)

arashi_nero
07-23-2010, 07:28 AM
i voted that i'm not bad. once i get started on the right pitch, i can usually hold a tone. i think i used to suck at singing and i don't have any formal singing training, but because of the countless number of music classes i've taken (we hum and sing rhythms in orchestra to help with pitch and listening balance), i can hold my own now. i whistle quite a bit better than i sing. i had violinist laughing a couple years ago because i vibrato when i whistle.

the only time i do really bad when singing is when i don't know the song whatsoever. at many japanese wedding receptions, they do karaoke. me being the only native english speaker, i was asked to sing "stand by me" by john lennon. i said yes because i thought it would be the same as the original. i was sooooooo wrong and i totally botched the song. talk about a humbling experience haha.

ukestah
07-23-2010, 01:27 PM
I think I'm an average singer, and I do like to sing when we have kanikapila sessions when we bbq. Definitely not lead singer material though I do lead tons of songs when other people are too shame to sing.

austin1
09-11-2010, 07:11 PM
I have been told I sing quite well.

I can vouch for this, will is a singing FIEND!

the_ominator
09-13-2010, 09:56 AM
well, i can't really sing. and it's getting worse if i'm playing ukulele while singing.

DAPuke
09-13-2010, 01:40 PM
I have been told, (by my spouse, does that count?) that I have a 'nice' voice. I have heard recordings of it and I don't like it.
I will post something when my playing comes together a bit more (I've been a uker for 6 mos). I see so many of you all's video's and am a bit inhibited about performing. Although, the fact that your comments to each other are nothing but praise, encouragement and good advice gives me confidence to put it out there. I'm gettting that it doesn't matter how great I am, just that I'm digg'n the uke. I am!

jillyronald
09-15-2010, 06:50 PM
I sing any types of song very well. I get first prize in so many computations, And also get second prize but never get third prize, I was best singer in my school and our society. And now a days I am taking classes for song, there are 30 students.

GaryC1968
09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I have been told, (by my spouse, does that count?) that I have a 'nice' voice. I have heard recordings of it and I don't like it.
I will post something when my playing comes together a bit more (I've been a uker for 6 mos). I see so many of you all's video's and am a bit inhibited about performing. Although, the fact that your comments to each other are nothing but praise, encouragement and good advice gives me confidence to put it out there. I'm gettting that it doesn't matter how great I am, just that I'm digg'n the uke. I am!

This is how I feel about my singing and actually about my speaking voice in general. As soon as catch myself feeling depressed about it, I just remember one name, "Bob Dylan". ;)

fitncrafty
09-24-2010, 10:01 AM
I love to sing, it feels great... however, I am VERY bad at it, I can't carry a tune if it was ducked taped to my back! It makes my uke playing sound worse.. but I don't care. I am having fun! I will probably never post a video... and the only chance you may have to hear me play or sing is to come to the Ukulele group in my town... and I promise, I will be barely keeping up with them in playing (for now) and will be singing, but quietly!
Can one actually improve their singing voice?

salukulady
09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
I love to sing, it feels great... however, I am VERY bad at it, I can't carry a tune if it was ducked taped to my back! It makes my uke playing sound worse.. but I don't care. I am having fun! I will probably never post a video... and the only chance you may have to hear me play or sing is to come to the Ukulele group in my town... and I promise, I will be barely keeping up with them in playing (for now) and will be singing, but quietly!
Can one actually improve their singing voice?YES. Just keep singing. And take a couple lessons if you can afford them. Join us on a online Jam, we're there most nights. Gentle criticism and lots of constructive comments. You can and will improve the more you sing.

live2tivo
09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't know if I'd consider myself a great singer, but I've never been told that I'm bad. I have been told on numerous occasions that I have a good voice. But, for modesty's sake, I'll go with saying that I have a passably good voice. I've had vocal lessons and I know HOW to sing. In my earlier uke songwriting endeavors, I was shy in showing it off (and didn't know how to play in such a way that allowed me to go all out vocally), but now that I'm more comfortable, I love to belt it out!
Essentially, good or bad, I'm not afraid to bust out a showtune in the middle of the quad or post videos of me singing online.
This is such a weird question to answer about myself! My YouTube channel is linked in my signature. You can judge my voice for yourself!

mikeg0232
09-24-2010, 02:15 PM
I think I am an OK singer; at times pretty good. I have fun. My wife is not going to tell me the truth on the days I stink. My teenage sons do not complain when I sing except my eldest says I need to sing louder (project more).

I bought a decent webcam and just started coming to the UU Mini Jams (uuminijams.blogspot.com) last week. It is a blast to share and listen to everyone's musical choices.

jacothedog
09-24-2010, 06:24 PM
I would describe my singing as infectiously average. I have a knack for getting people to sing along, but noone would ever say "Damn he's a great singer"..... and I'm fine with that!

DAPuke
09-27-2010, 12:03 PM
This is how I feel about my singing and actually about my speaking voice in general. As soon as catch myself feeling depressed about it, I just remember one name, "Bob Dylan". ;) You got that right!

austin1
09-29-2010, 07:02 PM
I think I am an OK singer; at times pretty good. I have fun. My wife is not going to tell me the truth on the days I stink. My teenage sons do not complain when I sing except my eldest says I need to sing louder (project more).

I bought a decent webcam and just started coming to the UU Mini Jams (uuminijams.blogspot.com) last week. It is a blast to share and listen to everyone's musical choices.

Mike is a singing beast! He's also modest. We love having you on the jams, you modest beast you.

allie
10-10-2010, 01:08 AM
I'm in the I don't know category haha.. I took choir for a year but I feel really self conscious about my voice

TicToc
10-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I don't want to sound stuck up or anything, but I sing very well.

thatukuleleguy
10-11-2010, 12:59 PM
I kinda feel bad about voting "I sing very well." I'm not conceited, I promise.

I like my voice when I hear it "live" but recordings sound weird. Then again, recordings of one's own voice always sound weird.

philpot
11-20-2010, 02:57 PM
I think my singing is tolerable at best... It's something I've been working on lately. I love all types of music and all instruments, but I've come to realize that your voice is an instrument to be learned too, and I want to be good at it. That being said, no one has told me I suck, but nobody has complimented me on my voice either. I just keep in mind that many popular artists aren't very good vocalists either, so it all works out in the end ;)

countrybumpkin
11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Can sing okay when no one else is listening or in a group. Self conscious otherwise.

JoeOahu
12-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Can sing okay when no one else is listening or in a group. Self conscious otherwise.

Yeah I agree. I tend to sing much better when I am alone.

JoeOahu
12-02-2010, 09:50 AM
People say I'm good, and that I have a good voice.. Pretty boy voice they say... but I've been singing seriously for less than a year now so I know I have a lot of catching up to do to other vocalists. I can sing well some days, but I'm inconsistent. Gotta work on that so I'm not bad id say, but definitely not amazing.

Loveandpeace
12-02-2010, 10:10 AM
My singing sounds good in my head, but in actuality...just be glad you haven't heard me sing ;)

JoeOahu
12-02-2010, 01:06 PM
My singing sounds good in my head, but in actuality...just be glad you haven't heard me sing ;)

Hahaha we all feel that way, don't worry. :P It comes down to accepting your own voice, and leaving room to improve it, but not change it.

aspieman456
01-15-2011, 04:29 AM
I believe I sing very well. I've been taking lessons from my mom who is a voice teacher for many years now.

bbqribs
01-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Much better than I play the uke.

Thxcuz
01-18-2011, 05:58 AM
it's the only thing I can do well

808boy
01-18-2011, 06:27 AM
Aloha........ I was told at a young age that I sang very well, won several talent shows, did recordings at a local radio station, was main ambition at one time, been singing for 55 years and will do so till I can't. THE BEST THING I CAN DO.

Nickie
01-24-2011, 09:40 AM
The name of this thread should be "How Well Do You Sing", if you don't mind my grammar correction. I am strictly an in the shower, or in the car singer. I've had lots of upper respiratory infections, and I sound horrible. I fake it in church...I don't even know if lessons would help. I don't smoke any more, but I love coffee.

Hippie Dribble
01-25-2011, 05:16 PM
one of those questions that's very difficult to self-appraise. You only get an idea of what you're like when people tell you, for better or worse.

For me, I was laughed out of auditions for the primary school choir in Grade 6 and have borne the scars ever since!!! :o

veejayblox
02-17-2011, 07:34 AM
yes. i like to sing, yes i think i sing alright, but safe to say i haven't heard myself on tape.. one thing i do know is that i sing way too fast...
singing should come from the heart, i go with the it's impossible to self-appraise motif expressed above.

missashleyclaire
02-21-2011, 01:43 PM
My voice is my primary instrument. I am about to start towards becoming a music therapist and before this I studied musical theatre in NYC. Competed in NATS and took first and well as a few Thespian festival awards... and I love what salkulady had to say on the first page :)

" If you can walk you can dance, if you can talk you can sing.

Everyone should sing and dance, it's like exercise for the soul."

Kawaii
05-04-2011, 03:57 PM
I think my singing is bad, but other people seem to like it a lot.

ukukimmy
05-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I think my singing is bad, but other people seem to like it a lot.

What Kawaii said. Plus I'm shy & self-conscious about it.

bbqribs
05-07-2011, 09:50 AM
I've just started videoing myself singing and playing. My singing tanks until I can play a song with ease. Good thing to know before venturing out into public.

ukulefty
05-08-2011, 01:04 AM
My singing is downright awful, I even sound bad when singing in the shower....... lol

Lancejt
06-23-2011, 06:01 AM
I only learn to play instruments enough so I have something to sing along with. If I always had a guitar/uke/etc. player with me I wouldn't know how to play anything other than what I learned being a percussionist in school/college band.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement as well, "if you can talk you can sing".

Knotical
06-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Well, to quote one of my favorite authors, I would have to rate myself ~ Mostly Harmless

I can sing falsetto a bit better than just OK (or so I think). Everything else - meh.

My daughter is the real singing talent in our house. Whenever I would sing a happy little tune, she would yell at me to stop singing. (Aside from that, she's not usually that rude)

However, after I got my uke and was learning Elvis' Can't help falling in love with you, not only did she not yell at me to stop, she was actually singing along. In fact, we were even singing harmonies.

Go figger.

ichadwick
06-26-2011, 05:51 AM
I can't sing GOOD. I can sing marginally well, however.

jhanover
08-22-2011, 03:43 AM
I am somewhere between a songbird and a barfly.

uke4ia
08-22-2011, 02:38 PM
A couple days ago, someone posted a comment on one of my YouTube videos about my voice sounding like a cat in heat. I balance this opinion against the fact that this person hadn't posted any videos himself, and all his other recent YouTube comments were about porn.

garywj
08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I always thought I was OK until I recorded myself. Truth is I'm not that good. However, neither was Johnny Cash, who made a good living doing it. I do it for fun, like I ride my bicycle. The Tour de' France isn't on my radar screen and neither is American Idol!

chindog
08-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I need a bucket to carry a tune in.

Kazzthemurse
08-22-2011, 10:58 PM
I put bad, because you didn't have the "God Awful" category! :p

byjimini
08-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Feedback has ranged from "Well, that's better than I expected" to "I really like your voice!". No-one ever seems to comment on my playing, though... :P

joejeweler
08-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Yes, you should!

JJ

That's easy for you to say! :eek:

......and likewise,.....at times it's nice not having "special requirements" forcing us to listen! :D

I don't even try to sing anymore,.....a bit tone deaf which is not good for a singer.

With an instrument,....i can get it close by ear,.....but there's aways something a little off.

.....thank god for electronic tuners. When it's tuned right it sounds sweet, just can't get there
without a little battery powered help.

Unfortunately, there's no battery powered helper for some of our voices. There's only one song i got requests for
30 years ago when i tried a few vocals.....but just never found the music or lyrics.

.... they asked: Can you sing: "Far far away"?

buddhuu
09-01-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm not much of a one for the spotlight: I'm more of a joiner-in. Thus I never sang much, I just used to play along with the singers.

That preferred role changed through necessity. I've run an acoustic music session at my local pub for the last 5 or 6 years. The pub is tucked away in the middle of nowhere so it is a challenge to get enough singers to fill an evening. The old rule that if one wants something done one has to do it oneself kind of comes into effect in a situation like that. I had to start singing.

I thought I was dreadful. Although I can sing in tune better than I expected, I think my voice is harsh. Also, as I have a limited range I tend to belt the songs out at some volume as I find high notes difficult to reach quietly. I also have problems singing and playing at the same time if either the vocal line or the accompaniment have any unexpected rhythmic blips. I am easily thrown off.

All that said, I do now regularly sing in front of an audience. People seem, for some inexplicable reason, to like it. My singing gets described as "strong", "dramatic", "emotional", "loud", "powerful" sometimes even "pretty good". These people obviously apply different criteria than I do when they define "good". However, I agree with "loud".

If asked to sum up my singing I would probably say that I seem to get away with it most of the time.

I appear to have become quite well known for a kind of catch-phrase. It started off as a sincere apology, but is now just something that is expected of me. As I leave after a session or gig I call out: "Thank you very much. I'm sorry about the noise".

For the record, I'm with Salukulady and JJ. Screw it - if you have a voice of any kind, just sing and have the time of your life.

Inner Prop
09-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I played and sang a song for my wife once to see what she thought and she said that the ukulele drowned out the music. I'm guessing that she meant my singing.

I've been told I have a nice voice. And I was cheered the one time I sang karioke ("Amy" by Pure Prairie League). I notice I have good days and bad. I am LOUD though.

I almost exclusively sing and play, which was one of the key reasons I chose ukulele.

metricfuture
09-01-2011, 02:46 AM
On a good day, I can muster unremarkable. It's something I tend to avoid whenever it's a viable option, bearing in mind that it's actually impossible to remain silent when listening to some of the bawdier offerings of Oscar Brand :).

buddhuu
09-09-2011, 06:25 AM
At the last session I sang a Tom Waits song, 'Tom Traubert's Blues'. I was hesitant, because there are some people who deserve better than to have me set loose upon their songs - Mr Waits is one of those people.

Anyway, I think it was one of the few times I ever regretted that my voice wasn't quite "bad" enough. Just not quite wrecked enough to give the song the heartbreaking soulfulness that Waits's shredded voice can achieve.

Maybe there is no "bad". Maybe there's just right or wrong time, place, context...

Trinimon
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
If I went to a uke workshop where singing is involved and if the instructor was to point out someone and say "Everyone but YOU, please sing" I would be that "you" person he was referring to. lol

river_driver
11-30-2011, 03:23 PM

Johnny Cash could talk his way through a song like nobody's business. Not a "technically proficient" singer, but one of the best vocalists ever.

semuelle77
12-14-2011, 06:08 AM
According to my students I have the most beautiful voice ever. Of course, since I teach music to elementary school kids and provide them with a positive aesthetic experience so they tend to respond hyperbolically. Often there are avalanches of comments to the effect of, "You're pretty. I like your hair. Your glasses are cool. Your shoes are pretty... I love you!" Yeah, they get pretty silly.

My silliness aside, I believe that all people can sing. It may not be your strongest talent, but it is something that everyone should do. With practice you can improve. I tell my students that everyone can sing and everyone can learn to sing better. If you love it, do it! I would much rather hear one of my students sing off-key with joyous zeal, than listen to a half-hearted uninspired song that is perfectly in tune.

flagstaffcharlie
12-16-2011, 05:42 PM
Louis Armstrong might be my favorite singer of all-time. I don't think anyone would say he was born with a great instrument. It was how he used that awful, gravelly voice.

My opinion is that most people are better singers than they think. If only for a bit of confidence and practice... It's about communication. :)

glass
12-17-2011, 04:37 AM
My singing is bad so now I just speak what I have to say like here http://youtu.be/7_ngA12VgTw

dvep
01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm a pretty competent singer. I'm being trained classically since it's my dream to be an operatic soprano.

However, it must be said that classical voice technique and more "popular" voice technique are very different, so I have to think a lot when I sing with my ukulele since I play music that's more laid back.

flyingv8
01-24-2012, 09:55 AM
I sing like I mean it. And I do. You can hear me on my CD "Waiting On The Gods" at www.deegirard.com
all original, all instruments, all vocals done by me in my home studio.

Shazzbot
01-24-2012, 10:02 AM
At this point I sing better than I play.
When my playing catches up, I won't have to sing so loud.

(the above may have already been said, but I didn't read all 15 pages of this thread)

gokidd
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM

I sing good (songs) ... but not well.

itsscottwilder
01-27-2012, 11:10 AM
I was better in my teen years when I was singing every day (Choir, show choir, regional choir, all state choir etc)

20 years later I'm okay. I get calls for singing because I know how to read music (sight sing) so I nail the harmony parts with little to no rehearsal time.

Plainsong
01-29-2012, 02:44 AM
I was better in my teen years when I was singing every day (Choir, show choir, regional choir, all state choir etc)

20 years later I'm okay. I get calls for singing because I know how to read music (sight sing) so I nail the harmony parts with little to no rehearsal time.

Yeah, that's kinda me too. I did all-state, opera workshop in college, mostly Italian rep. But I never learned how to "normal" sing. You know, just when you sing along with something, or sing a pop song, I don't know how chest voice works really. Sure I can match a pitch, have some resonance, but it's nothing noteworthy.

In my first years here, I caught a bad virus that was none as the A-virus. Part of that was a months long battle with laryngitis, and my singing voice came out of that not-the-same. Now if I can speak, then I can sing, but I'd really have to get with a voice teacher to iron out the kinks. It's not been high on the list of priorities, but if any Finns reading this know of choirs in Helsinki that are actually open to new members, I'm all ears.

codys
02-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I am the worse singer you will ever see or I should say hear. lol

smokemeister25
03-09-2012, 05:44 PM
i help needed write

Freeda
03-09-2012, 08:32 PM

Amen amen amen!!

kameeley
03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
taking singing lessons to get my average voice to slightly better than average. going from chest to head voice is tough. i just want to stay on key and harmonize when i'm supposed to!

timothypfox
03-31-2012, 06:43 AM
ok i guess. my range is god awful though.

UKEON TERRITORY
04-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Absolutely horrible . I promise you don't want me to prove it . I sing in the key of R-flat . But I try to not sing at all . roflol

His Sinfulness
04-12-2012, 01:06 AM
I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.

decaturcomp
05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
No action on this thread this year. The question concerns me personally. I've always sung a good bit and no one has ever complained unless I woke them up or interrupted a conversation or something like that. I have 20 odd videos of me singing in the last year up on you tube. In the last two months i've begun to notice some vibrato in my voice that a) wasn't there before and 2) i could have controlled before as in adding vibrato where I wanted it for effect. I'm about to be 58 in a short while so some changes are expected. But, I thought that singing regularly and more or less by the book, no screaming or straining beyond what someone in a chorus or choir might be asked to do by a director, would keep me safe from the ravages of 'old guy voice'. Maybe not.

If you want to help me by listening to a couple of samples and letting me know what you think please listen to a bit of a couple of songs from my uke channel first and then listen to 'ballad of the easy rider' which i did this week or 'winter lady' a leonard cohen song I did lately and let me know if you notice a lot of wavering (or anything else) and please let me know if you know what I should do to fix it if you know. Thanks

Alan

here's the yt channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/alantphornton?feature=guide

Andy Saur
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Well according to my friends and strangers on You Tube, I sing really well. Although my voice doesn't sound that special to me.

decaturcomp
05-07-2012, 03:57 AM
I think you sing very well. Good pitch control. Rhythm is excellent both on the vocals and the playing. I especially like the uke on Sweet Child. Keep at it.

decaturcomp
05-07-2012, 03:57 AM
Have you posted samples somewhere?

I also sing pretty well, but I was better when I was younger and singing a lot. I'm still good enough that when I sing everyone says, "wow, you should sing more often!"

I think it will be a long time before I play as well as I sing, and when I sing and play at the same time, both suffer.

addicted2myuke
05-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Only in the shower, and when I'm practicing in an empty house. My sister, who thinks I am this great and talented person, said I needed to take voice lessons. That was my clue that I was no Florence Nightengale. By the way, Jake Shimabukuro never sings. He did once when I went to see him, and now I know why he plays only instrumentals.

beautifulsoup
06-27-2012, 09:08 AM
Seeing as I'm a voice teacher and a singer by trade, I'd better be a good singer!

sillymonky
08-15-2012, 09:43 PM
I sing well, and I love to sing on stage, but it's always been such a hassel getting musicians together to back me and finding practice time for everyone, etc. etc. My guitar attempts all failed abismally, but with this whole new uke thing, I can see a future where *I* will actually, myself, get to control the musical feel of the songs I want to sing, and *I* will be able to hit the local open stage anytime I please without having to coordinate with someone first. EEEEEEEE!!! Very very exciting!

ukuhippo
08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
The whole family including the cats and yours truly has agreed that I stick to instrumentals, 'nuff said.

The Big Kahuna
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM
For my answer, I would like to refer you to my recent post in another thread, where I downloaded Autotune Evo, and even that couldn't cope with my singing.

I couldn't find the right note with a map and a compass.

000Kanaka000
08-27-2012, 03:14 AM
I sing well, and I love to sing on stage, but it's always been such a hassel getting musicians together to back me and finding practice time for everyone, etc. etc. My guitar attempts all failed abismally, but with this whole new uke thing, I can see a future where *I* will actually, myself, get to control the musical feel of the songs I want to sing, and *I* will be able to hit the local open stage anytime I please without having to coordinate with someone first. EEEEEEEE!!! Very very exciting!

* Can totally understand this one. Am living in a place where the music scene is so flakey.
The musicians in this area all want to get paid and no one wants to practice. Unbelievable.

000Kanaka000
08-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Just got my Mya Moe and haven't played guitar for a lot of years so bear with the playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZHSW86PgUU

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQzhbdt9yTk

These were a couple of quick run throughs definitely have work to do on them.

Yestyn The Great
08-29-2012, 03:42 PM
I think my singing is bad but I have never recorded myself. I should try it next time in alone.

Plainsong
10-07-2012, 03:16 PM
I'm kinda curious, did some choir director tell you vibrato was bad at some point? Because what I'm hearing is that natural spin that happens when you relax the throat and let the air flow in a natural way. It's the natural correct way of singing, and it's the only kind of vibrato that's correct. You're doing fine, and have probably actually improved if that wasn't happening before.

Thread necromancing late at night, but I've been working with someone to get that natural vibrato to come out just in that natural open resonance way. She does it when she's not thinking. :) But thinking to back in the day when I thought this might be how I make my living, the subject of vibrato never even came up in a lesson. You just do what you're doing and it sounds lovely.

No action on this thread this year. The question concerns me personally. I've always sung a good bit and no one has ever complained unless I woke them up or interrupted a conversation or something like that. I have 20 odd videos of me singing in the last year up on you tube. In the last two months i've begun to notice some vibrato in my voice that a) wasn't there before and 2) i could have controlled before as in adding vibrato where I wanted it for effect. I'm about to be 58 in a short while so some changes are expected. But, I thought that singing regularly and more or less by the book, no screaming or straining beyond what someone in a chorus or choir might be asked to do by a director, would keep me safe from the ravages of 'old guy voice'. Maybe not.

If you want to help me by listening to a couple of samples and letting me know what you think please listen to a bit of a couple of songs from my uke channel first and then listen to 'ballad of the easy rider' which i did this week or 'winter lady' a leonard cohen song I did lately and let me know if you notice a lot of wavering (or anything else) and please let me know if you know what I should do to fix it if you know. Thanks

Alan

here's the yt channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/alantphornton?feature=guide

Bland Mango Patterson
02-17-2013, 10:49 AM
Yes, you should!

JJ

Indeed. Such a shame people are so uptight about being good. Today we are bombarded by over produced music played perfectly to a click track and piped cleanly though multiple auto tunes and we are collectively forgetting the most important thing about song. The freedom of course.

lexi
05-12-2013, 02:54 AM
I have never heard me sing so i dont know what i sound like outside my own earspace, i can cover quite a few octaves but i also have a cleft palate which makes me sound like im speaking through a toilet roll lol despite this, i will eventually do a song on video for youtube, and i have found my niche by attempting to cover some late 80's, early 90's acid house classics (in my own little way), seeing as thats probably the only genre thats not been touched by the uke on the youtubes yet, and even though i voted I Dont Know im pretty sure my singing is quite dreadful :cool:

7warriorlion
05-12-2013, 11:11 AM
A Michael Buble legend in my own mind, ha!

peeterjozaf
05-14-2013, 03:39 AM
I sing not bad :p

Cooper Black
05-14-2013, 03:53 AM
I was in a "serious band" for many years (record company, tours, CDs). The band leader would not let me sing. In truth, blocking me was a personal-turf, ego-protection racket, but it kept me silent for over a decade.

Once I left that "bad relationship" I took up singing and have become a very good vocalist. I needed to get away from the biases about having enough range, or being able to hit that high note. I transpose songs to the key that works best for me, to create song stylings that have taste, emotion and tell the whole story.

Becoming a singer was the best thing I ever did to promote my musical life. Sing out!

Pauli
05-20-2013, 02:46 AM
To decaturcomp: Hi there friend. I have just had a listen to your version of Winter Lady and I think you have a superb singing voice. The one bit of advice I would like to suggest to you is to make sure that you give yourself plenty of breath to support your tone right to the end of each word or syllable. I think you will find that your voice will become more consistent if you focus on this.

Thanks for your videos. You are a true inspiration. Well done!

A.H.
05-24-2013, 09:17 AM
I can carry a note, hate the tone of my voice....

pabrizzer
06-17-2013, 11:21 PM

There you go.
I think singing is as much about listening as it is about making a noise.

I really wonder about out of tune singers - they can't be hearing what I am hearing?

I sometimes hit dud notes especially when attempting harmony lines - but I am aware of it when I do.

I think LISTENING is so important when singing.

jusercity
06-18-2013, 11:17 PM
I sing really well

PTOEguy
06-19-2013, 03:25 AM

I'd argue that attitude and musicianship can overcome the quality of the voice (see Willie Nelson, Louis Armstrong and Bob Dylan for some best "bad" voices out there). In other words - its not the tone its how you feel the music.

barefootgypsy
06-19-2013, 04:23 AM
I'd argue that attitude and musicianship can overcome the quality of the voice (see Willie Nelson, Louis Armstrong and Bob Dylan for some best "bad" voices out there). In other words - its not the tone its how you feel the music.Agreed - When I was a lot younger I hated the videos of Janis Joplin singing - but I get it now. She sang with her heart and soul - and I know that I could never put that stuff over like she did. It's important to be able to stay in tune, and the next thing is to sing with heart and soul. Having said that; like A.H, "I can carry a note but hate the tone of my voice...." and I think the heart and soul and the right voice to put it over is just magic. Perhaps a lot of it is control.... and technique..... but I wish I had that, and a good voice to go with it!

alexinaustin
06-21-2013, 01:45 AM
how about posting your singing and then we can poll?

bunnyf
10-03-2013, 03:58 PM
When I think of singers that I love, that do not have what would be considered great voices (think Dylan, Willie Nelson, Louie Armstrong), I wonder why those of us who love and feel the music can't seem to find our own unique but enjoyable voice. My singing stinks and I while it's not critical to me to sing great, I wish I could capture whatever it is that those great non-classic singers have to make my voice easier on the ears.

Kdogg
10-03-2013, 05:45 PM
I sing best Tenor.. twelve miles from anyone ...:nana:

Or Solo...no one can hear... :rolleyes:

JulianUker
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Sing? Umm sure, if you can call it singing :) LOL!

barefootgypsy
10-04-2013, 12:16 AM
When I think of singers that I love, that do not have what would be considered great voices (think Dylan, Willie Nelson, Louie Armstrong), I wonder why those of us who love and feel the music can't seem to find our own unique but enjoyable voice. My singing stinks and I while it's not critical to me to sing great, I wish I could capture whatever it is that those great non-classic singers have to make my voice easier on the ears.That's exactly how I feel about my voice! I think there are a lot of us about! Perhaps we just have to keep trying......

wallyboy
10-09-2013, 10:07 AM
I am a bad singer my wife told me and she knows,
but there is one thing about my singing is that I really enjoy it even tho it is bad,

ichadwick
11-07-2013, 04:42 AM
How good can YOU sing?

I can't sing good.

I have been told I sing well, however...

Iolaus
11-07-2013, 06:12 AM
I think many people can sing better than they think - you are always your own worst critic. My wife says she can't sing, but I know better. I've heard her singing along with the radio, and she has a lovely voice.

mikelz777
11-07-2013, 06:48 AM
I think many people can sing better than they think - you are always your own worst critic. My wife says she can't sing, but I know better. I've heard her singing along with the radio, and she has a lovely voice.

By the same token, there are a lot of people who think that they can sing much better than they actually do. (Just take the auditions for American Idol and such shows for example.) I'm totally in favor of being positive and supportive of people who are willing to go out on a limb and sing giving them due credit for the effort but in all honesty, when watching the wealth of uke videos out there, there are a lot of terrible singers. It would be interesting to see the comparison between someone's self evaluation and compare it with an honest audience evaluation of the same performance. I'm sure that there would be some people who would move up in their estimation but I bet there would be a greater number of people who would move down.

graybones
12-01-2013, 06:27 AM
I am a bad singer, but getting better. "Sucking at something is the first step at being sorta good at something." I love singing and even if I never get good at it I won't stop! My apologies to my neighbors.

tuanx90
08-20-2014, 07:24 PM
I sing so good as Chaien in Doreamon Japan's Story :agree:

wayward
08-21-2014, 07:59 AM
In the UK we have a fella called Gareth Malone http://www.garethmalone.com/ who can teach ANYONE who can sing to sing well! Even better, he seems to be a genuinely top bloke, and this week he was photographed buying a rather lovely Pete Howlett tenor ukulele :shaka:

VegasGeorge
08-21-2014, 09:10 AM
I'd love to have a great voice that everyone loved to hear. Unfortunately, I don't. I've occasionally thought something I've sung sounded pretty good. But then, that's just me. Most of the time I think, "That was awful, where did those notes come from anyway?" I have a terrible propensity to wander off key. One thing I've noticed, the more I like a song, the better I am at singing it. I suppose that makes sense somehow.

Daktari
08-26-2014, 11:40 AM
Singing is just part of me. Always has been and always will be.
I allowed being 'a singer', and to a lesser degree, a performer, to define who I was for many years.
I consider my voice as my primary instrument. Or rather I did when I still had the full monty. it's still a very nice voice, a very very nice voice even, it's just not what it was or should be as a result of ill-health. I can hear the difference and struggle to live with it. [sure need to build m'confidence again eh]

UkeCan1
08-26-2014, 01:20 PM
I feel a little sad about the rather high percentage of poll-takers who've classed themselves in the lower two categories / degrees of "bad".

I believe anyone can sing, just as anyone can uke.

Each of us is wherever we are in our learning process at any given point in time ... it's not a fixed thing that you were born with.

Just like uking, the more I do it, the better I'll get ... just by doing it!

If I also want to consciously focus on improving, there are many resources that can help me do that faster and more fully. But even without all that, simply by doing it, I'll improve.

When I was quite young (6 or 7) I was told I could not carry a tune. That's true of most kids that age, I suspect. Because I was told that, I learned (falsely!) that singing ability was something you either had or didn't have, and I stopped singing.

Thankfully, at some point well into my adult years, I realized the absurdity of telling a little kid something like that ... I'm pretty sure if I hadn't been told that, I'd have learned!

On the theory that it's never too late, I joined my local community chorus, where I started out over my head and pretty much sucking ... and left a few years later looking for a bigger challenge. Ultimately that led me to a gold-medal-winning barbershop chorus of about 60 women. We won gold again, with me in the chorus ... so I guess I can't have been too horrible.

Singing, like uking, is a learnable skill. If you enjoy it, or want to, just do it and keep doing it. If you want to improve faster, put yourself in an environment where you'll get more training. If not, just have fun and do it. (Barbershop is especially great training ... no ukes though. :))

The Seasons of the Ukulele (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/forumdisplay.php?47-Seasons-of-the-Ukulele), right in this forum, is a really great place to keep singing and improving, week after week. Participating in that weekly is one of the best things I've ever done for myself.

Sing. Have fun. Don't ever, ever say you're bad. Just sing.

bunnyf
08-26-2014, 02:30 PM
I love when this old thread gets resurrected. Always looking for new insights on singing better. I am quite horrible but have improved from terribly horrible with lots of practice.

SteveZ
08-26-2014, 03:01 PM
The fact is, everyone sings great. It's just that some folk are more critical listeners....

PhilUSAFRet
09-14-2014, 01:31 PM
Better'n Taylor Swift, but practically everyone does.

Debby
12-27-2014, 02:40 PM
I sing well enough that I'm not embarrassed to sing in front of others, or even large groups of people. Lol, maybe I should be, but I'm not.

hendulele
01-08-2015, 03:16 PM
My singing is OK and was much better when I rehearsed a lot (as in 40 years ago, when I was in high school drama and the church choir). Now? Meh.

But it's fun!

cua94
01-08-2015, 03:45 PM
I know I am not fantastic but I feel I am okay. I also know that I sing much better when I am well rested, well hydrated (no caffine or alcohol), and not too full.

Of course, those things seldom happen all at once. :o

Lalz
01-08-2015, 03:55 PM
For some mysterious reason that I can't comprehend I'm killing it at karaoke, total soul diva. Otherwise I suck haha. I get nervous, my throat gets tight, and I can't sing and play at the same time anyway.

Icelander53
04-29-2015, 03:22 PM

I agree. I do I do.

Down Up Dick
04-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Well, the dogs have stopped howling so I guess I'm getting better. :old:

kohanmike
04-29-2015, 09:04 PM
I don't think I posted on this thread yet, but if I did, sorry. I knew I didn't sing that well, but thought I was getting a little better until a few months ago when I started recording rehearsals of our ukulele group, The CC Strummers, to post online for everyone to practice to between rehearsals. Since I was fairly close to the mic, I could hear myself over everyone else, and damn, how awful. So now I either lip-sink or do nothing at all, won't subject anyone to that anymore.

k0k0peli
04-30-2015, 02:00 AM
My mother-in-law said I had a good voice.

:D

Well, she was a classical oboist, choir director, and music executive, so I trust her judgment there. But she never heard me in my early years of busking on street corners, singing until people threw money at me to stop. Maybe "singing better" means "knowing when to stop", eh?

Icelander53
04-30-2015, 04:03 AM
I sing sooo well that everyone stops their ears when I sing, out of some serious jealousy. :music: