Larrivee Soprano For Sale

jazzuke

Reaction score
Larrivee Soprano Ukulele

Serial number 032339.

I believe this to be a model 10, koa instrument…though I have been unsuccessful in confirming the correct information from Larrivee thus far (I’ve sent three emails requesting information).

It is in absolutely beautiful condition: Not a ding, dent or hint of playing anywhere…it is as new. I’ve owned it since 2003, and frankly have not played it that much…preferring the size of the tenor and concert ukes.

It is absolutely beautiful: Abalone rosette and purfling. Abalone highlights in the bridge. The sides have B/W/B binding at both the top and bottom with a black binding on the bottom (tortoise?).

The woods are very nicely flamed: A orange/yellow color with a loose grain which is what makes me think it is koa (though it could also be mahogany). The neck appears to be mahogany: Tighter grain, darker colors in direct contrast to the body. Someone with more practice at tone woods than I might be able to spot the woods based on the pictures.

The sound is clear with emphasized highs, another reason I think the wood is koa, it definitely has a koa sound. 12 fret neck. It is in a plastic, hardshell case…the handle just broke off…..but does have a strap. I can’t find the gig bag…but I really don’t understand why you would want to put a hand made wooden instrument in a gig bag?

A mahogany Larrivee uke, without the top purfling (indicating a lower model number) has just sold on eBay for $895: Larrivee has recently announced new models to be produced, pricing for what appears to be the same model is $1,574)….I’m asking $1150 (price change to reflect confirmation wood is koa). Shipping and insurance will be extra. Will I consider offers? Sure I will….will I accept them? Well…let’s find out. Will I accept trades? I'll consider them...but only for a luthier-made concert or tenor sized uke.

Pictures may be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27472706@N06/sets/72157621904095370/

Last edited:
Last edited:
It has also been pointed out to me that this is not a Model 10, to quote:

"The model 10s had very fancy shell inlay on the peghead stock".

They also have very very highly flamed koa and they all have a high gloss
finish.

Some of the first run or two of Larrivee ukes did have abalone purfling
and rosettes (I have a couple of these), but they all had satin finishes -
this does not correspond with any of the regular lines of Larrivee's -
they are essentially a hybrid model - they are not 09's which all have
gloss finishes, but their appointments are otherwise pretty much the same.

If your uke has a gloss finish, it is an 09. If it has a satin finish, it
is an early model with fancy abalone appointments, but NOT an 09, or an 05
or an 03, and not even an 01. Gloss finishes also tend to
fetch more money even though the original satin finished Larrivee's tended
to have better tone."

So....I don't know what it is: It is in great condition with beautiful workmanship, very sweet sound and the photos are accurate pictures of color and flame.

too bad it's a soprano.... I do not know why they don't produce some tenor's... they would sell like hot cakes. I just sold a tobacco sunburst parlor to get a uke and it was my second larrivee Ive owned and I can attest to the craftsmanship and finish on their insrument's..... very nice uke!!!!!!

Agreed...although I did hear talk of building some concert sizes. I also would like to see some of the new models have extended fingerboards. A poster here did copy messaging from Jean about new models being produced. Sadly, still all soprano size.

Frankly, I'd like to see some concert size with a tenor neck: Combines the playability of the tenor with the sound/portability of the soprano.

Larrivee did make a very few concert scale ukes in 1999 (possibly in 2000 as well). They produced an all-mahogany model and also a mahogany one with a spruce top. They were satin finished - as were all the early Larrivee models - and had an invoroid bound neck with 14 frets to the body, 18 frets total, with side dot fretmarkers. Curly maple top and back binding with black & white purfling on the top, back, and sides. Simple black & white purfling rosette. I don't know if they ever produced any koa concerts - I've never seen or heard of any...

I sold an all-mahogany concert last year and still have one all 'hog concert. I once played a spruce & mahogany one which I didn't have the money to buy at the time - I sure wish I had though...

I do not believe that Larrivee ever produced any tenor ukes. I don;t think tenors were as popular then as they are now. In any case, my understanding is that Larrivee lost money with their ukes, so they stopped producing them for a while, and then started up again with fancier and fancier models with glossy finishes. They still lost money...

The rumor is that Larrivee will get back into producing ukes including some concert models. I haven't heard any mention of tenor ukes though...

I really love Larrivee's, though they are on the guitarish side of the ukulele tonal spectrum, which some folks like and others don't. They are also built on the heavier side, rather like LoPrinzi's.

The link to the photos of the uke take me to a series of pistol photos.

The link to the photos of the uke take me to a series of pistol photos.

And fine pistols they may be... but... where's the Larrivee?

You're right! I didn't look at the date. I guess member The_Oddness_of_It_All dug this one up from the grave. It is October after all. Spooky.

There's one for sale on FMM right now....I was figuring this was the same one until the year old date was pointed out.

Hmm. The Beeman P1 in those photos is an excellent air pistol though. I wonder if it's for sale? Air pistols are the ukuleles of gun world.

So is it still for sale?

I'm not the seller so I couldn't say for sure, but I'd doubt it. I just looked at the seller's profile and he hasn't logged onto UU since April...

The asking price is also quite high. Elderly's been selling several of these these for between $800 and $845 since July - they seemed to have come into a number of them recently - about one or two a month. Don't know how long that will last though. The Larrivees seem to be getting snapped up quickly when Elderly puts one out for sale. I just bought a gorgeous gloss finish highly flamed koa Larrivee from them with hardshell case for $800 in July.

I would expect to pay substantially more for a Larrivee concert though, since they are so rare. Very very few of them were made, and most of them went to a customer in Japan.

Good luck in your Larrivee search. They are wonderful instruments in my experience...

Last edited:
I'm not the seller so I couldn't say for sure, but I'd doubt it. I just looked at the seller's profile and he hasn't logged onto UU since April...

Good luck in your Larrivee search. They are wonderful instruments in my experience...

Ok thanks. I've been searching all over for a decently priced larrivee soprano to hopefully buy, and I've seen the few on elderly's website--they do go fast!

There is a store near me that has guitars and a few low end ukes that just happens to have a Larrivee soprano. But they dont really want to sell it because of sentimental reasons but I have gotten to play it a few times and it is a georgous instrument, ever since then I really want one!

Hey thanks marymac this is a really nice one! It is more than I'd like to spend, but thanks for digging that up.

I seriously thought about buying that one myself but decided it was too expensive too. I wish someone would buy it soon though, so I can stop looking at it!

Haha! It is a beautiful instrument. I'm sure it will be snapped up soon, in my experience larrivees seem to go fast.

Top Bottom