Recommendations on Special Uke

jazzuke

Reaction score
I'm selling my soprano and will soon sell my concert:

I'd like to replace both with a concert size body, and tenor neck. Also, I want solid woods, purfling and rosette and binding top and bottom.

My price range is around $1,200 to $1,500.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

Moore Bettah!!!

I am not sure about the body neck combo, but I am sure he could pull it off. He is very good at what he does. His 'Not so Basic Ukulele' has almost everything you want, no prufling. I am not sure how his pricing would be, Tenor is 1500 concert 1400. Top of your price range but well worth it.

I have a Concert NSB uke from him and this thing is amazing. You might want to shoot him an email to see what he thinks.

Here is a pic of mine.

picture.php

Your best bet is to contact a luthier from the Custom Builders Listing. They can recommend what would be the best combination based on your criteria. Some have a waiting list of more than a year.

I'm selling my soprano and will soon sell my concert:

I'd like to replace both with a concert size body, and tenor neck. Also, I want solid woods, purfling and rosette and binding top and bottom.

My price range is around $1,200 to $1,500.

Any suggestions?

Anthony

Ask Mike DaSilva what he can do for you. Mike likes extended scale ukes and has all sorts of different sizes that he builds.

I think toward the end of last year you could get a 14-fret long scale concert (16") from William King for $1500. You might want to check with him to see when he will open up his 2010 build list and current pricing. From experience it takes about 2-4 months for him to complete a uke from start date (not to be confused with order date).

I don't have a Moorebettah but I'm sure those are great as well. Both MB and King owners seem to hold their ukes in the highest regard.

My King long scale concert (w/lots of options):

DSC_1512.JPG

Thanks all,

I did reach out to Moore Bettah....he makes very few Concerts now...and though I really like his work (especially the long-neck concert mentioned previously in this thread) it sounded like he was more focused on tenors.

Did check Mike Da Silva's site and like the King as well...

The search continues on.

Thanks for all who replied:

I've ordered a concert with tenor neck from Mike DaSilva. Similar to a model he currently has listed on his website.

I liked his workmanship and the creativity in wood selection plus his use of rather basic ornaments and how they integrate with the wood to make a very pleasant package, both visually and, I'm assuming from what he and I have discussed, aurally as well.

I would also say having a custom uke built by a builder who understands my personal sound preference is also a very cool thing. Especially at the quoted price, which I think is quite reasonable.

The downside? I have to sell two ukes to fund the purchase...which I don't expect to be too difficult, even in these perilous financial times...one's already listed on eBay.

Congrats on your decision for a Mike DaSilva - keep us updated on its progress.

Thanks for all who replied:

I've ordered a concert with tenor neck from Mike DaSilva. Similar to a model he currently has listed on his website.

I liked his workmanship and the creativity in wood selection plus his use of rather basic ornaments and how they integrate with the wood to make a very pleasant package, both visually and, I'm assuming from what he and I have discussed, aurally as well.

I would also say having a custom uke built by a builder who understands my personal sound preference is also a very cool thing. Especially at the quoted price, which I think is quite reasonable.

The downside? I have to sell two ukes to fund the purchase...which I don't expect to be too difficult, even in these perilous financial times...one's already listed on eBay.

Mike DaSilva makes a very nice uke with outstanding workmanship. I do hope he is doing better with his build schedule though. I ordered a Santo repro from him last year and it took about 2.5 times the promised wait time with spotty communications. Just be prepared to wait and you should be happy with the end result.

From what I hear you have made a fine choice. There are, From what I hear, a lot of good builders around it can be a tough decision picking one to build you instrument.

What not going to offer up some ukes in the UU Marketplace?

Top Bottom