PDA

View Full Version : Learnin Uke

Beetbox
08-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Hey guys im a drummer thats 15 years old with my great grandpas uke that still plays great but I dont want to use it since its an antique. Ive learned how to tune it and thats all and im lookin to buy a new uke. What are good ukulele brands and what is the price for a good uke. Also I want an acoustic uke but if I perform will a microphone in front of it work. This is my first string instrument that im learning so I also have to learn how to strum. Any tips for beginners? :shaka:

ukulelearp
08-01-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey guys im a drummer thats 15 years old with my great grandpas uke that still plays great but I dont want to use it since its an antique. Ive learned how to tune it and thats all and im lookin to buy a new uke. What are good ukulele brands and what is the price for a good uke. Also I want an acoustic uke but if I perform will a microphone in front of it work. This is my first string instrument that im learning so I also have to learn how to strum. Any tips for beginners? :shaka:

Welcome the the website...

Let's see:

1. What's your price range? Some good values brands for beginners are Kala, Ohana, and Lanikai, among others. If you're willing to spend a bit mroe there are other choices.

2. Acoustic in front of a mic will work, but if it's a solo performance an acoustic-electric may be a better choice, for the clearer sound. Either way will work fine though.

3. There are some great lessons on this site, but for actual first time players I'd suggest two places that helped when I was just starting:

Pineapple Pete's Uke School (http://www.ukeschool.com/)

and

MusicTeacher2009's Youtube (http://www.ukeschool.com/)

Feel free to ask any questions here, people are generally very helpful.

Beetbox
08-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Well over the summer ive earned 300 dollars spending cash and ive still got a couple of weeks left until school.

ukulelearp
08-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Well in the 300 range you could probably get a nice instrument. Look for something that's either solid or has a solid top. I'd suggest sending a PM to MGM and tell him what you want and see what he suggests. I've heard very good things about Mainland ukuleles too, that's what I want to get when I have some money.

Beetbox
08-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Whats a solid top?

KC8AFW
08-01-2009, 01:44 PM
Whats a solid top?

Most low-priced ukuleles are made out of laminated wood (thin sheets of wood glued together...think plywood). They sound pretty good, but usually don't have much sustain. Solid wood instruments are made with solid pieces of wood. These usually will sound much better and have more sustain and be louder. A solid top is a good compromise between the two (the top is made from solid wood, and the rest is laminate). The top is where most of the sound is created (when the strings vibrate...those vibrations are transferred to the top).

For your price range...I would definately recommend a Mainland (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=3).

buddhuu
08-01-2009, 02:16 PM
If it helps to reassure, in my opinion the advice you have been given so far is very sound.

Solid woods do generally make the best acoustic instruments (although some laminate instruments are great).

The brands that have been recommended are all established and respected.

That said, I see no problem with learning on, and playing, an antique instrument. Just handle with care and treat with the respect due to age...

Brewerpaul
08-01-2009, 03:13 PM
You might want to take that antique uke to a good luthier to have it checked over for loose glue joints, warps in the neck, etc. Once he gives it the OK, play the heck out of it: your Great Grandpa would be happy that you're enjoying it. Matter of fact, see if you can get some good digital pics of the uke and post them here so we can all enjoy it.

ukulelearp
08-01-2009, 03:38 PM
You might want to take that antique uke to a good luthier to have it checked over for loose glue joints, warps in the neck, etc. Once he gives it the OK, play the heck out of it: your Great Grandpa would be happy that you're enjoying it. Matter of fact, see if you can get some good digital pics of the uke and post them here so we can all enjoy it.

I'd second the suggestion. If you get a good setup for it and are confident it's in good enough shape to be played, I'm sure you'd have a great time playing it. And like some others said, solid woods generally sound better because they vibrate more freely. Mainland makes all solid ukuleles at very good prices. I've heard very good things about them. I've never played one, but hope to buy one soon.

As far as picking one goes, you might want to pick a size first. There are soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone sizes available. The traditional size is soprano/concert. Tenors sound similar, but are larger for a more "full" sound. Baritones sound more like guitars because they're tuned differently. There are some good threads explaining the differences more fully if you want to do a search.

Beetbox
08-01-2009, 05:54 PM
When I got it restrung a couple months ago the guy said it sounded great.

Ill post pics soon

itsme
08-01-2009, 06:09 PM
Yeah, your great grandpa would want you to play his uke, not put it away like it's some kind of museum piece.

I have a mandolin that's going on a century old. It sounds and plays great.

Have fun with it, and welcome aboard. :)

Beetbox
08-02-2009, 09:19 AM
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x222/EuRoD3k3r/uke/100_0044.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x222/EuRoD3k3r/uke/100_0045.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x222/EuRoD3k3r/uke/100_0046.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x222/EuRoD3k3r/uke/100_0043.jpg

These are the pics with a ruler beside to show size comparison since I dont know what type of uke it is.

uke552
08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Welcome aboard! Your ukulele is a soprano size. I play a couple of old one's too - nothing wrong with staying with it. Have fun!

RyanMFT
08-02-2009, 01:50 PM
That little uke looks great, IMHO it is solid wood considering the age, so it will likely sound very sweet. Looks like a player to me. Also, you will find once you start playing that you want to add to your collection and if you play a bit first you will know what uke you want to buy in the future!

I say play it, enjoy it, get a good case that holds it well and have a blast!

Beetbox
08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Ive decided to learn to learn the chords and some chord progressions and a song or two before getting a new uke. im mostly interested in a tenor.

whetu
08-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Yeah, your great grandpa would want you to play his uke, not put it away like it's some kind of museum piece.

Quoted.For.Truth.

:shaka:

Beetbox
08-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Ok so ive definetly got uas on my second day and I think its because ive got the cash to spend but im holding myself back until i get better and i really want to stick to the uke because ive wasted tons of cash on hobbys that die out in the first month. Hopefully uke will be different because its my second instrument and drums have stuck with me for five years now so hope fully its not a hobby thing but a music thing.

So when i am ready I want an uke that plays good and sounds good but will be good to travel with since I want to take it to school and a camp I go to every summer but I dont want to worry about damage too much like dings and if it does ding I dont want it to be a very bad thing. So is a flea or fluke ( i think there the same thing) a good choice? Does it stay in tune? I havent seen the website and ive only seen reviews of it and I like it.

ukulelearp
08-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Ok so ive definetly got uas on my second day and I think its because ive got the cash to spend but im holding myself back until i get better and i really want to stick to the uke because ive wasted tons of cash on hobbys that die out in the first month. Hopefully uke will be different because its my second instrument and drums have stuck with me for five years now so hope fully its not a hobby thing but a music thing.

So when i am ready I want an uke that plays good and sounds good but will be good to travel with since I want to take it to school and a camp I go to every summer but I dont want to worry about damage too much like dings and if it does ding I dont want it to be a very bad thing. So is a flea or fluke ( i think there the same thing) a good choice? Does it stay in tune? I havent seen the website and ive only seen reviews of it and I like it.

I've played both and can say they both sound very nice, and they're also very loud. Whether or not you want that is up to you. And from what I've heard, they're hard to beat in the durability department. I prefer the looks of the flea, and the fluke didn't sound all that much better than the flea to my ears anyway. They should both be good choices as a travel instrument that can take a few hits.

Beetbox
08-02-2009, 07:52 PM
I've played both and can say they both sound very nice, and they're also very loud. Whether or not you want that is up to you. And from what I've heard, they're hard to beat in the durability department. I prefer the looks of the flea, and the fluke didn't sound all that much better than the flea to my ears anyway. They should both be good choices as a travel instrument that can take a few hits.

I just looked at the website and saw that a fluke is different and I agree the flea looks better.

itsme
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Tenors sound similar, but are larger for a more "full" sound.

im mostly interested in a tenor.
I only have one uke (so far) and it's a tenor. But I think that would be an excellent choice. :)

RyanMFT
08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
A flea or a fluke would be great for where you are at. Flukes come in Tenor size but not the flea. You can get a Concert size flea (I have one) and it is a really durable, good sounding instrument. I use it when I travel anywhere because it is tough as nails. A fluke has a little deeper, bassier sound as it has a bigger soundbox. My ear prefers the flea but my good friend prefers his fluke....it is a personal taste thing.

Either way, you can't go wrong. If you hate it, you can always resell a flea or a fluke for a good price. I also like to have my flea around to let beginners try it as the fretboard is wide and comfortable.

Good Luck!

uke552
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
The Flea is a great uke. I have had no problems with mine and enjoy playing it. I have had no problems with it staying in tune. As a matter of fact, I just returned from a conference and took my Flea in a carry-on bag in the airplane. When I got to the hotel, the Flea was still in tune!