Question on Uke Stand & Strings

the.ronin

Reaction score
Hi, new ukulele player here so please bear with my newb questions. I've only been playing less than a month but am really getting into it.

I was wondering if it's necessary to rest your uke on a stand or if it's just ok to leave it in its case under your bed or something. A quick search came up with only one thread dedicated to stands so I figure most of you don't really use em.

Second question is whether it would be worth my replacing the stock strings on my uke. It's a Cordoba 25CK so should I consider picking up some concert Worth strings (they seem to be most suggested here). Or at this point would I not even be able to tell the difference? If I should replace them, which ones? There's a dizzying amount of different kinds.

Thanks!!

Stands...I use one for my guitar, but my ukulele I just put in it's case. Some people keep theirs in a case with a humidifier, but humidity isn't really a problem for me.

As for strings, it sucks, but go with what you like. Since you haven't tried many, I'd say my favorites are Fremont Flurocarbons and Aquila Nylguts. I know a lot of people like their Worths, but I've never gotten to try them. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though. And yes, it'll be worth changing them. A good set of strings can make a huge difference.

I went down to the local music store and got me a violin stand. Perfect size for my tenor.:shaka:

Thanks for the replies! For starters I will probably just get the Worth strings since they seem to be the most recommended. As I get better I'll experiment with others.

I think I'll go for the stand too ... the violin stand is a great idea! One thing I like about it is that if the uke is just there on a stand, I think I'll be more apt to grab and play it than if it was in a case tucked under my bed.

Do you know what strings your uke came with? My Cordoba had a tag on it saying the strings were Aquilas.

If you do change them, take the old ones off carefully and save them so you'll have some spares. You never know when you might need one. It's always a good idea to have an extra set on hand. :)

I have a couple of the folding "A" frame style guitar stands similar to this. Stretch it open all the way for guitar, compress it a little and it works fine for smaller instruments as well, such as mando or uke.

I think a stand is a good idea for when you take breaks in your playing (as opposed to just leaning an instrument up against the wall) but I don't leave instruments out all the time. If you have kids or pets running around, it's probably a bad idea.

Top Bottom