no ukuleles were harmed in the fire

mctrmt

Reaction score
As some of you know, there was a fire at the building where I, my husband, and frannydeschanel rent studio space. The bulk of the fire damage was done to the outside of the building, at the back. The back stairs, porch, and all doors and windows, are gone. Our bathroom was completely gutted.

Luckily (luckily?) there is only (only?) smoke and water damage to our belongings. We've been cleaning up a bit and throwing stuff out, and haven't quite got a handle on everything that's been lost. I had a lot of textile work stored, which I am sorting through and trying to clean. Dave's lost at least one installation, and some video equipment.

My eleuke was not damaged (although it needs a cleaning), and although franny's work table was completely soaked by a fire hose, the banjo uke project he's been working on was luckily not there at the time.

The Cedar Tavern Singers AKA Les Phonorealistes were working on a new CD; obviously recording's been delayed.

We're hoping the landlords get the reno started as soon as possible- we really would like to stay in the space, but with no electricity, gas, water (or back door!) it's not exactly functional.

Anyway, pics are posted on my facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/mmctrowe?ref=profile#/album.php?aid=291934&id=890245483&ref=mf

Does anybody know if/how you can get the smell of smoke out of an amp?

Material things can be replaced, main thing YOU and hubby are okay. :shaka:

Glad that you are OK.

We have a company here in New England called Service Master. They specialize in repairing water and smoke damage. I've heard people say that can work wonders. You may want to call them or a similar company in your area about the amp. This may be covered under your insurance policy.

I sincerely hope this all works out for you.

Sorry to hear about that, glad you guys turned up safe and without too too much damage done

Whoa, so glad you're okay Mary-Anne.

wow, sorry this has happened to you - glad that you are OK!

Does anybody know if/how you can get the smell of smoke out of an amp?

If you put the amp in an empty room with an unneutered cat for about six hours, you won't even notice the smoke smell.:cheers:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Glad no one was hurt.

If you put the amp in an empty room with an unneutered cat for about six hours, you won't even notice the smoke smell.:cheers:

...or my dogs for about 6 minutes.:eek:

Wow. A friend of mine recently went through something similar. The apartment upstairs started flooding, enough to crack the cement and pour through. His entire unit was soaked, like it was raining indoors. He had a lot of fine instruments in the closet, which happened to be one of the worst places. His pedal boards and electric guitars got pretty much trashed, from the moisture, even after they were dried.

Sorry for the stroke of bad luck. :( Really happy that all people and ukes are ok! :)

whoa! that stinks! the lady who taught me ukulele, her house got struck by lightning once, kind of a different situation, but i remember seeing the pictures she had to take for the insurance company, they were shocking....like, their phone exploded and everything looked fried. :/

anyway, good to hear most things are alright. burnt ukuleles are no good.

you live with frannydeschanel?? that's awesome! his videos amaaaaaze me, a lot.

I'm so sorry for the bad news, I know it's rough but you are ok! Ukes and art etc. getting hurt is sad, location being unuseable is a pain, but someone being hurt is way rougher to deal with and would make everything else look totally unimportant in comparison. Hope you have good luck in restoring as much as possible back to "normal".

Glad everyone is alright and the instruments/gear were mostly undamaged. I went through a fire in '82 (my office and work stuff, books, diploma, etc. incinerated) and it was incredibly depressing. The smell of office/home fire smoke or ashes still evokes memories and can sadden me. Trying to stick it out in the damaged building and constant exposure to the damage may wear on your soul. You do have the happiest instrument around to keep your morale up though.....

all the best,
pete

Aww Mary Anne! Things are replacable... you guys are not. So glad everything is mostly okay- & I see from the photos that Bigfoot was unharmed as well- hooray!

Oh my

Hopefully by now, things are on the mend. I've been on the road a lot lately and haven't kept up with my friends here on UU as well as I should. I'm glad you are o.k.

As long as you all are okay. But the ukes being okay, that's a bonus. I'm sorry to hear your CD will be delayed. Please put me on the reserve list for a copy. I wants it!

Top Bottom