ukuleles everywhere

haolejohn

Reaction score
I've had a pretty emotional week and I had a big paper due today that I culdn't get started on so i paid a little visit to www.ukerepublic.com now i didn't visit on the website. I went to the factory. I wanted a tour. I arrived at the factory and after knocking on the door I am allowed in by a man holding an ukulele with a smile on his face. i am then greeted by a parrot that I swear was talking to me but i couldn't quite make out the meaning of his words. Mike quickly parades me to his showroom(his kitchen table) and I get to see many new ukes that I haven't seen yet. Anyways his inventory was quite impressive. I played all his ukes at least once but was impressed with some more than others. Here they are and what I liked about them.

1. Mainland cedar top rosewood back and side pineapple soprano. This little uke was loud and i couldn't put it down. The finish wasn't perfect but the sound almost was. If i hadn't of bought an 8 string pono I would have bought this ukulele right there.

2. Pono Ohai soprano- this uke sounded great as well. ukerepublic (mike) had a soprano, concert, and tenor in this wood type but the soprano sounded the best to me. This little uke was strung with ko'olau gold strings and they brought out this guys volume.

3. Kala solid spruce top rosewood back and sides or was it ebony back and sides? anyways it was strung with kala reds in low g. It was a great sounding ukulele. The kala reds need to get more recognition but they are hard to find...

4. Ohana sopranino. Other than the fact that my one finger almost overlaps the frets this little buggar was loud.

The vineyard ukes and ohanas sounded good as well but these four models stood out. I don't know what I would have bought between the pono soprano and the mainland pineapple. Maybe I'll end up with both eventually. If you get a chance look up mike from ukerepublic. He's a great guy and loves sharing the joy of ukulele.

Sounds like lots of fun. The way you described it kinda sounded like a dream. I'd love to get my hands on a sopranino some day, I kind of have a fixation for tiny little things.

ED: I just realized I could totally do that since that's in atlanta

Last edited:
Top Bottom