D.C. Area/Northern VA

dnewton2

Reaction score
So I have been in touch with some other members here at UU that live in the Area. So does anyone want to get together sometime share knowledge, play uke, whatever?

yea sure, i live 5 mins below baltimore. so its about 45 mins outside of DC.

I received this email yesterday...

We meet every Wednesday at someone's house for 2-3 hours. On rare occasions, we meet on Tuesday or Thursday. When we have potluck dinner (you bring a dish to share), we meet at 7:00 p.m. and eat until 8:00, then we start playing/learning/singing music at 8:00 and quit about 10:00. If we don't have potluck, we meet between 7:30 and 8:00 and play from 8:00 - 10:00. Amy Rider, our administrator, usually emails the announcements to everybody about future meetings, where they will be, etc

We usually help/teach each other in learning the 'ukulele (the basic chords, strums, etc.) As director, I usually introduce each new song, go over the translation of the songs if the lyrics are in Hawaiian, listen to CDs or tapes of professional artist's renditions of the song, and go over each line of the song, and learn the song in its entirety. Then we spend the rest of the session reviewing songs we have learned in the past weeks or years (this is our fifth year in existence). I usually email the new song with chords prior to the meeting so everybody should have a chance to print it out and bring the song with them to the meeting. I bring extra copies or the host can print out the song from his printer at the house if you don't have a chance to print it out at home. Please don't be intimidated at not being able to play the 'ukulele well and being able to keep up. Most of us started not knowing anything about the instrument, chords, strumming, etc., but eventually, with practice they were able to catch up with the rest. And you can do it too.

Please come and join us. We have a wonderful time learning the instrument and new songs, but most of all, we enjoy the company of each other who love Hawaiian and non-Hawaiian music and have the desire to learn to play the 'ukulele. Occasionally, we perform at different venues such as retirement/nursing homes, etc. and get to share the many songs we've learned, but most of all, to spread the Aloha spirit to others in the community.

Sincerely,
Carol Takafuji
Director: Hawai`i State Society (HSS) 'Ukulele Hui
Past HSS President (2006-2007)

Send me a PM if you would like more info.

Thats cool deach. Is that from an earlier post about the area? I emailed someone about that same group a while back but had not heard anything about it. I definatly think i would benifit from playing with, learning from more experinced uke players.

Thats cool deach. Is that from an earlier post about the area? I emailed someone about that same group a while back but had not heard anything about it. I definatly think i would benifit from playing with, learning from more experinced uke players.

I went to the link posted on the other thread and emailed Carol. What I posted is her response to me. She is very friendly and it sounds like the group is too. They usually meet for 3 hours every Wednesday night. Some nights they have a potluck dinner beforehand.

ill try to get a ride their. Im going out today to go get a pic in front of a this really old bridge. as of right now i can drive, just not to the city.

I went to Wednesday meeting tonight.

16 people playing ukuleles!!!! and one playing a bass

Most of the songs played last night are traditional Hawaiian songs.
- Hilo March
- Haleakala
- For You a Lei
- May Day is Lei Day in Hawaii
- Hawai`i Pono`i
- A Maile Lei For your Hair

Also
- America the Beautiful in C and G
- The Star Spangled Banner

Everyone was very nice and encouraging (since I'm new to the ukulele and even newer to Hawaiian music)

If you have any interest in playing with a group of fun ukulele players, I would definitely recommend it.

Last edited:
So... I'm done with classes in a couple weeks. We need to get on this!

Deach-- what was the average age at that thing?

So... I'm done with classes in a couple weeks. We need to get on this!

Deach-- what was the average age at that thing?

I'm guessing most people are between 50-60. At 39 I am one of the younger ones.

Last night there were 19 players!!!

There was a special instructor/leader last night and we played the following songs:

Ah My Hawaii
Will You Love Me When My Carburetor Is Busted
Waimanalo Blues

Then he taught us a little bit of improv and vamping and led us through the following songs:

Proud Mary - CCR version
In The Still of the Night
The Lion Sleeps Tonight
Hawaiian Supa Man

I also learned that there are a couple smaller sub-groups that play. Saturday AM's for ukulele and Tuesday evenings for Slack Key guitar. I need more time in the day!!!

Where did you meet up? and do they always meet there or do they switch it up?

For the main practice/jam they usually meet in Falls Church near Seven Corners. Once in a while they meet in Arlington.

wow you guys are on the opposite side of the country, thats pretty amazing that we can come together over the internet, where spam, idiots and p*** run rampant

Weekly update

22 people including a bass player and a steel guitar.

Songs practiced: (sorry about the spelling)
e huli makao
Haleakala
Lahaina Luna
Beautiful Kawai
He Aloha Hi Owaianea
Ka Ua Loku
Sophisticated Hula
Kaimana Hula

vamp practice

Hello! I am looking for a ukulele "community" in the DC/MD area. I am very new to the ukulele, but I love it so much that I want to find a niche where I can learn from others and have some fun. Anyone on this thread near College Park or surrounding? Cheers, Mary

I am not sure about the College Park area, but there is a member, h-drix, that lives outside of Baltimore. There is a uke groupe focused around DC that just had a get together in Annapolis. Dont know if that helped. Also try to google uke clubs or something. I'll post the info If i can remeber or find them.

I am not sure about the College Park area, but there is a member, h-drix, that lives outside of Baltimore. There is a uke groupe focused around DC that just had a get together in Annapolis. Dont know if that helped. Also try to google uke clubs or something. I'll post the info If i can remeber or find them.

http://www.metroukeassoc.org/

Thanks! I'm fairly centrally located. I can easily get to DC or Baltimore.
Cheers,
mary

Top Bottom