PDA

View Full Version : Is Music In Us All

Danuke
08-03-2009, 09:23 AM
Is music in us all? and if it is but doesn't seem like it is how do you go about finding it and bringing it out?

I'm 35 now and this is the first instrument I've been determined to play. Back in school day's, the best learning years, our music department was virtually non existent so beyond the odd dabble with this instrument and that this is the longest I've had an instrument in my hands. I've always loved listening to a wide range of music, some people laugh when they see some of the stuff on my ipod but hey if they want to restrict themselves to the same old boom boom that's up to them.

I've been messing about with the uke for a while now, to begin with just a basic strum pattern was hard to keep up but I'm finding that easier now. I've played about with different strum patterns and different chord progressions in different keys, experimented substituting 7 chords here and there and can make some of it sound half decent occasionally. I've also had a go at some of Aldrine's UU lessons, mostly Breakdown and Wonderful tonight. I remember watching the wonderful tonight lesson a few months back thinking I'd never manage a strum pattern like that but now when the going is good I can pull it off, minus the ghost notes and two finger rolls he mentions in the lesson. The problem comes when I try to put all the bits I've learnt together into a song and making real music it all just falls apart.

I really love Krabbers song "this message" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3tQeqeJio and would love it to be my first complete real song which I have been trying but to no avail.
This cover http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYlNlIc0gxQ I find amazing given that the guy had only been playing for 10 weeks at the time and he also had no previous experience. I know it's not perfect but if I only ever got as good as this I would be one happy man.

I've messed about avoiding the issue for long enough now, it's time to start making music. How do I get it out?

Ukulele JJ
08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Is music in us all?

I think you need to define your terms a bit better. What does it mean for music to "be in" someone?

Everyone possesses some amount of artistic creativity. You might not be Michaelangelo, but you can at least doodle on a napkin. You might not be Fred Astaire, but you can have fun making a fool of yourself on the dance floor.

(For some reason, this creativity--or at least the willingness to allow oneself to be creative--is almost universal in children. Sadly, many people let it atrophy as they grow older.)

Anyway, if you're talking about the ability to come up with musical ideas, then yes, I think everyone has it in them. Some do it better and/or easier than others, but everyone can do it. And it's an ability that can be improved with experience.

Now, once you have that musical idea, there's the problem of expressing it. This is a bit trickier. But overall, I agree with Shinichi Suzuki that what we call "talent" is really more a measure of how quickly one learns, and not so much of one's ability to learn. The skill of expressing music is there for everyone, and everyone "has it in them" to learn that skill. It's just tougher/slower for some than for others, that's all.

Frustration sets in when the musical ideas one desires to express are beyond one's current technical capabilities. This is the "getting it out" part of the equation. Time and experience are the only solution here, I'm afraid. (This includes, but is not limited to, practicing.)

That's my opinion on it, anyway.

:shaka:

JJ

Danuke
08-03-2009, 10:34 AM
You might not be Fred Astaire, but you can have fun making a fool of yourself on the dance floor.

JJ

That bit most definitely applies to me :D

Thanks for your opinion. I see what you mean by separating musical ideas and putting it in to practice with your current skill level.(low in my case).

I suppose what I'm trying to do is steal Krabbers musical ideas and apply my lack of skill to them:o

Ukeffect
08-03-2009, 11:07 AM
That bit most definitely applies to me :D

Thanks for your opinion. I see what you mean by separating musical ideas and putting it in to practice with your current skill level.(low in my case).

I suppose what I'm trying to do is steal Krabbers musical ideas and apply my lack of skill to them:o

Dude...give yourself time! Jake S. did not start out shredding like he does the first time he picked up a ukulele! Some people pick it up quicker than others, and some never go beyond a certain level...because they don't feel they need to. I know I can't play as well as most of the folks here, but I just love the sounds I do get out of my girls, and I find that I get a lot more AHA! moments the deeper I get into it...so just take your time, things will start coming together for you! And remember, the ukulele is one of the most fun instruments you can play, so...enjoy it! :music:

whetu
08-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Is music in us all? and if it is but doesn't seem like it is how do you go about finding it and bringing it out?

Yes. Just like we all have an 'inner child'. Although many of us say things like "that 'tarded decision my boss made just killed my inner child", really, all it takes is some catalyst to bring it out. Maybe being with a particular person (or group of people), or having drunk a particular amount of liquor etc

Same with the music inside us. You've just got to find your catalyst. Maybe you like having singalongs with a particular group of friends - there's an angle to bring the uke in. Same with the liquor ;)

I'm 35 now and this is the first instrument I've been determined to play. Back in school day's, the best learning years, our music department was virtually non existent so beyond the odd dabble with this instrument and that this is the longest I've had an instrument in my hands. I've always loved listening to a wide range of music, some people laugh when they see some of the stuff on my ipod but hey if they want to restrict themselves to the same old boom boom that's up to them.

Exactly the same here, bud. I dabbled with different instruments in school, but I've been committed to the uke far more seriously than any other, and I listen to a wide range of music. I draw the line in some places though - grunge, speed metal etc but everything else is fair game. They say that people who listen to a wide range of music are usually the most open minded. I don't know if it's true, but my ego agrees :)

:the rest:

I've messed about avoiding the issue for long enough now, it's time to start making music. How do I get it out?

Hmmm. Do you have a practice partner? I ask this for two reasons:

1) Often when people start exercising, one common recommendation is that they have someone to exercise with. Each person keeps the other motivated, and they advance quicker than if they'd gone it alone.
2) These guys (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlyIdl2wetU) started out as practice partners

This thread also has some good reading:
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14647