anyone know what this uke is?

ukuleG

Reaction score
just bought it on ebay was wondering if anyone knew what brand etc when it was made (doubt it) any input would be nice :).

Attachments

• !B(Q4bDQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKbbpP)YKg~~_1.JPG
    !B(Q4bDQ!mk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLlzw8!BKbbpP)YKg~~_1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 98
  • !B(Q4GRgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKbbn4pBpw~~_1.JPG
    !B(Q4GRgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CcEjlLl4lRpBKbbn4pBpw~~_1.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 105
  • !B(Q4mPgBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLl09!jBKbbp+qKQg~~_1.JPG
    !B(Q4mPgBWk~$(KGrHgoH-EIEjlLl09!jBKbbp+qKQg~~_1.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 97
  • !B(Q4QdwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlul7eBKbboiGrIg~~_1.JPG
    !B(Q4QdwBWk~$(KGrHgoH-DIEjlLlul7eBKbboiGrIg~~_1.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 86
  • !B(Q36Og!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BKbbnF0CF!~~_1.JPG
    !B(Q36Og!2k~$(KGrHgoH-DYEjlLl5L7,BKbbnF0CF!~~_1.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 106
Hmmmm....

Is that paper coated with varnish around the sound hole and top? Possibly a Kay.

well its not turned up yet but i liked the look of it and got it rather cheap, i shall see when it comes.

Interesting. Did the seller identify the woods it's made from? I see no separate saddle on the bridge which will effect sound transfer to top. All the old Hawaiian 'ukuleles also had one piece bridges. What strings you planning to use?

Where's MGM when you need him?....:)

I have seen lots of vintage ukes, that one is unique with the way the neck meets to body and the rosette. It does look like some sort of paper, but, I have never seen a "KAY" with that neck shape on the body. That looks well cut.

The wood is dry. When you get it, take a good look at it and see if you can moisturize it.

Interesting. Did the seller identify the woods it's made from? I see no separate saddle on the bridge which will effect sound transfer to top. All the old Hawaiian 'ukuleles also had one piece bridges. What strings you planning to use?

nah he didn't say what the wood is he was one of those mass sellers that sell everything and anything and about the strings not really thought bout it yet any suggestions? Ive only ever really bought aquilas.

No, but it looks to be quite nice. :)

I you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for it?

just under 40 pound.

It's very pretty whatever it is. Here's hoping it sings.

just like to say thanks for all the replies to my thread didn't expect to find such an active and welcoming ukulele forum :D.

I have seen lots of vintage ukes, that one is unique with the way the neck meets to body and the rosette. It does look like some sort of paper, but, I have never seen a "KAY" with that neck shape on the body. That looks well cut.

The wood is dry. When you get it, take a good look at it and see if you can moisturize it.

how exactly would i go about moisturizing a uke.?

how exactly would i go about moisturizing a uke.?
Do you have a case for it? If so, an in-case humidifier is probably the best way to go. You can even take a 35mm film can and poke holes in the top, put a moist piece of sponge inside and stick it in the case.

I would check it over for any fine cracks, put it in a case with a humidifier for a week or so and then string it with Worths or Fremonts. I personally wouldn't do Aquilas, as I don't like higher tension strings on older, dry and possibly delicate ukes. But that's just me. ;)

It's really fetching! :D

Top Bottom