D-tuned ukulele (ADF#B)

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Is it possible? Can I just use the strings for a concert high g tuned uke and re-tune to ADF#B?

Yep...just tune each string a full step up. Don't worry...the bridge won't come flying off.

yup works just fine, i've gotten two full steps up on all my ukes with no problems...i believe that all sopranos really should be tuned to D rather than C, concert i prefer C but there is no reason you can't tune to D...i think it gives the ukes a great sound

yea, i'm sure it'll work.
i tried the opposite on mine, i live in canada so, most ukes are tuned ADF#B
and i tuned mine down a full step.
the only thing about that is that the strings'll be a bit tighter and be harder to do things like bending.

That tuning is favored by the Doane school. It is very popular in Canada. Just keep in mind that if you do find an occasion to jam with other players, your finger placements will be different and things can get confusing that way. It takes a little bit of time to adapt. For me, I do that sort of thing all the time by bringing guitars and baritone ukes to club meets and playing along with those.

I had some old sheet music and it had ukulele chords for D tuning.

Thanks everyone. My reason for doing this is to avoid the placement of the fingers for the e-chord on the c-tuning for some songs I really want to play, lol.

? Please elaborate. :D

7828-big.jpg

A capo is a device that clamps on your uke and simulates you "barring" at a certain fret (2nd fret in our example). You then pretend that the capo is the nut and you play the same chord shapes that you normally would...but they become different chords. For example...if you capo at the 2nd fret, your C chord shape becomes a D chord (you hold the A string at the 5th fret and the capo barres the other 3 strings i.e. 2225)...G becomes A...D becomes E.

http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7828

You should be able to find one at any music store.

Last edited:
7828-big.jpg

A capo is a device that clamps on your uke and simulates you "barring" at a certain fret (2nd fret in our example). You then pretend that the capo is the nut and you play the same chord shapes that you normally would...but they become different chords. For example...if you capo at the 2nd fret, your C chord shape becomes a D chord (you hold the A string at the 5th fret and the capo barres the other 3 strings i.e. 2225)...G becomes A...D becomes E.

http://www.ceciliasmusic.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=7828

You should be able to find one at any music store.
Thanks, I knew what a capo was but not sure how I would use one when just trying to get an E chord in a song that I could do all the other chords, lol.

Thanks, I knew what a capo was but not sure how I would use one when just trying to get an E chord in a song that I could do all the other chords, lol.

Oh, okay...I was offering this up as an alternative to retuning your uke to D-tuning. A capo at the 2nd fret accomplishes the same thing.

Oh, okay...I was offering this up as an alternative to retuning your uke to D-tuning. A capo at the 2nd fret accomplishes the same thing.
Ah ok... I see. Good to know, I'll try it out. :D

Thanks everyone. My reason for doing this is to avoid the placement of the fingers for the e-chord on the c-tuning for some songs I really want to play, lol.

Short term gain, really. That chord will come back to haunt you… in ADF#B tuning it is the F#.

Sopranos do sound rather nice in ADF#B tuning… but it is harder on your fingers…

Anyway, keep practicing the old '2444' form of E. It will come eventually. (Took me about six weeks before I could really handle that one at all…)

Anyway, keep practicing the old '2444' form of E. It will come eventually. (Took me about six weeks before I could really handle that one at all…)
I tried it today, and I got it. I was so excited I created a thread about it, lol.

Top Bottom