Tahitian ukulele banjo *you pay what I paid, no more no less :)

Uke650

Reaction score
Pics at the bottom, also I will upload a sound file

April of this years was kind of a bad month for me. With in that month I got sick, broke a fa'atete drum, broke my glasses while playing said drum and I got my car stolen.

That month got a lot better when a friend of mine showed up and more or less gave me a Tahitian uke, out of pity I'm sure.

Either way, I have loved and cared for that instrument ever since and since Tahitian banjos are hard to find here in the mainland I thought I would never run into another quite like mine. Boy was I wrong.

Last week I was sent to Texas by my company. Usually I like to stretch my legs and go out for a mini vacation at the end of my work. Its Texas so I hit the rib shacks and local bars. Amongst those bars there was this tiny lounge called Honu lounge blasting some awesome reggae, not something I was expecting from Houston!

Typically, they butcher the island culture for the most part. They greeted my with aloha and they had the ussual raffia skirt table cloths and tiki coconut drinks, but out of the corner of my eye I see a wall filled with ukes!

Intrigued I get up for a closer look. Most of the ukes are plastic toy ugly colored instruments. Some are real ukes but were damaged in ways that would offend any uke lover, but within that ugly mess stood out a jewel. An almost Identical copy of my Tahitian ukulele!

Immediately I summoned the manager/owner.. How much for the banjo I asked. Not for sale he replied but I was not about to take no for an answer. I sat with him and we talked for a while, I explained what it was and how it was played. He seemed disinterest but was polite enough to entertain the idea of negotiating a price.

After a few minutes at online sites and ebay, he goes up to the wall, pulls the uke down and hands it to me. As I reach out for my wallet he tells me the drink and musubi are on the house.

I know this is a long post so I will get to the point. I do not have to get rid of this uke, If anyone wants it, go do your research and then contact me. I am only interested in someone who will take this seriously, its not a toy or wall ornament.

291175723_o.jpg

291175793_o.jpg

291175851_o.jpg

291175756_o.jpg

Last edited:
Will someone help me pick my chin up off the floor? It hit hard when my jaw dropped! That's a real exotic beauty right there!

PM Sent. I wonder what he paid for it?

If anyone wants it, go do your research and then contact me. I am only interested in someone who will take this seriously, its not a toy or wall ornament.
Hi, welcome to UU. Nice Tahitian ukulele(?) you have there.
And who did you say you were? Why such an attitude from the start, let's be nice to each other here. You take UU seriously, UU returns the favor.

By the way, cut your story to 200 words and you could enter the give-away contest that is going on right now if you like. Try it! :shaka:

Last edited:
In Tahiti, these ukes sell for a bit more than $200, tax included.
The strings are made of nylon used for angling.
To play it properly, you need to master very fast strumming as seen in this video (this guy is from Cook Islands).

Alain.

WOW!
That was an amazing looking one!! damn....

In Tahiti, these ukes sell for a bit more than $200, tax included.
The strings are made of nylon used for angling.
To play it properly, you need to master very fast strumming as seen in this video (this guy is from Cook Islands).

Alain.
WOW! That uke has such a tiny neck! Sounds awesome and very unique.

Hi, welcome to UU. Nice Tahitian ukulele(?) you have there.
And who did you say you were? Why such an attitude from the start, let's be nice to each other here. You take UU seriously, UU returns the favor.

By the way, cut your story to 200 words and you could enter the give-away contest that is going on right now if you like. Try it! :shaka:

Lol, hindsight it does seem a bit rude, though that is far from my intention. Thank you for the welcoming, its nice to find people with the same passion as my own.

Ok, to answer some of the question and address some of the comments here is a follow up.

The price I ended up paying for the banjo was a total of $500.00, it would have been 516.00 with the musubi and Hinano. :)

you can pay me $500.00 or a bit less and treat me to some L&L and a beer! your choice.

If you live in the SM - SF area you are welcome to come on by and give it a strum if you like, I live in SSF.

BTW any Tahitian drummers out there?

Top Bottom