Build an `ukulele in 4 days with Rick Turner

Kekani

Reaction score
At first I though this should go in the Luthier's Corner, especially following up on Ahnko Honu's thread, but I think it'll be more applicable here.

Rick Turner has developed a "Build an `Ukulele in 4 Days" class that he's teaching towards the end of this year, in locations in CA, and Tasmania. Here's a link to a thread on FMBB
http://www.fleamarketmusic.com/bulletin/bulletin-single.asp?popup=true&BulletinID=25489

Contact him through the "info" email on his website
http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/

For those that don't know about Rick, he's been around longer than most here have been alive, and is a legend in his own time in the guitar industry. He is Compass Rose, and I've seen some incredible stuff from him.

Given who he is and what he's achieved, he is extremely humble and is basically a "nice guy". BTW, he is also the "T" in DTAR - Duncan-Turner Acoustic Research.

If it sounds like I'm a fan, I am. And I'm more than honored to call him a friend.

I hope someone here can go to his class and represent UU well. If anyone does sign up and attends, keep us informed.

-Aaron

Thanks, Aaron! Greatly appreciated.

I am finding my 4 day courses incredibly fun and rewarding in the best ways...in the new friends and in the spirit of helping people do something they've never done before and do it well. This sort of activity is going to be an increasing part of my personal future both here in the 'States and hopefully in Australia and who knows where else.

Anyone got an adult ed department or club that might want to sponsor a class? I can handle up to eight students flying solo, though six is more comfortable. With a co-teacher, I think two of us could handle twelve or thirteen.

There are some discussions a-foot on bringing the uke course to Mainland Australia next year, but nothing settled yet.

The latest Fretboard Journal, Summer 2009, issue 14 has an article I wrote on the first class I taught in Tasmania at the Woodbridge School. I also have a brochure in .pdf form I can send to any interested people. It's on the mandolin version of the course, but most applies to the ukes as well.

Hawaii is right between the Mainland US and Tasmania right? ;)

Hey, I speak English! Happy to do this in the UK. If I can take it 8,500 miles to the West, I can take it 8,500 miles to the East. All I need is a facility, some supplies, a sponsor, and some coverage of travel and lodging expenses. I can get ten or twelve ukes worth of parts into a suitcase. I need a day ahead in a woodshop and a sheet of plywood to make workboards; a bunch of clamps, and we're good to go!

That's great, I'll start saving my pennies. This along with a Hanalima 'Ia course should make my brain explode with 'ukulele luthier knowledge. :D

I think there's a pineapple in your future when Rick does make it down.

-Aaron

Tassie, late November/early December? How much will these cost? A luthiery class taught by Rick Turner sounds too good... nay, fantastic, to miss!

I've been ogling this man's instruments (and saving up for one) since I first started looking for an electric guitar in my early teens. Nothing else I've had the pleasure of encountering has come close to the level of expertise, elegance and innovation found in his work.

Top Bottom