Value of secondhand ukes

yookyoolayleeh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity - supposing you didn't have access to eBay or some other online price-comparison thingy, how would you determine the value of a secondhand ukulele? Do musical instruments 'depreciate'? If so, how much? Are we talking about a massive drop, like cars and electronics, or something less?

So if you had a chance to buy a used but good-quality uke, which is supposedly in great condition (but it's too far away to try out), how would you negotiate a price? What percentage of the brand-new value would you offer?

Thanks. Just considering my options for hypothetical future purchases.

My rule of thumb is that if I'm selling, the depreciation is too great. If I'm buying, there doesn't seem to be any depreciation.

Realistically, you can expect higher priced items to hold their value more than lower priced items. Only rare or unusual or highly prized items appreciate. Everything else goes down the moment you walk out the door with it.

My rule of thumb is that if I'm selling, the depreciation is too great. If I'm buying, there doesn't seem to be any depreciation.

Hahaha that is so true! I always feel exactly the same when buying or selling on ebay.
I think everything else apart from rare vintage ukes will lose about 1/4 of its value the moment you opened the box and started playing.

Hahaha that is so true! I always feel exactly the same when buying or selling on ebay.
I think everything else apart from rare vintage ukes will lose about 1/4 of its value the moment you opened the box and started playing.

Thats because new items usually have warranties, almost always only applicable to the original owner, and that has great inherent value.

That is why it is so annoying to see "like new" stuff listed for $5-20 less than it would be available for new, even though the new one has a warranty and the used one doesnt.

Hi all,

Just out of curiosity - supposing you didn't have access to eBay or some other online price-comparison thingy, how would you determine the value of a secondhand ukulele? Do musical instruments 'depreciate'? If so, how much? Are we talking about a massive drop, like cars and electronics, or something less?

So if you had a chance to buy a used but good-quality uke, which is supposedly in great condition (but it's too far away to try out), how would you negotiate a price? What percentage of the brand-new value would you offer?

Thanks. Just considering my options for hypothetical future purchases.

Ask for some audio (with video, if possible). You'll get a better idea of how it plays.

Top Bottom