I gave it a shot, but I'm going to high G

ed531

Reaction score
I'm going to get a fresh set of strings around lunchtime and change the strings on my Pono Tenor when I get home tonight.

I gave it a shot, now I know I prefer the high G.

Actually, this is my new uke. It came with the factory strings with the wound low G. Low Gs make the use sound like a guitar, and it's not as happy (as UkeCrazy pointed out)

I have had a couple come in like that.
I changed all of them out except for one.
While I like the sound of low g, I definitely prefer and have become accustomed to high g.
Sometimes I find that I want to play in low g though.
So, I just leave one hangin low. :music:

I just bought a Pono tenor with low g tuning as well, but I also have a high g Fluke. While I love the bright, happy sound of the high g, some songs sound really good with low g. I agree with the previous post - buy another uke!

I have had a couple come in like that.
I changed all of them out except for one.
While I like the sound of low g, I definitely prefer and have become accustomed to high g.
Sometimes I find that I want to play in low g though.
So, I just leave one hangin low. :music:

Hey, is it possible to get a set of low G strings for a
concert size uke ?

I have a concert uke I rarely use...

^

Yes, it's easy to get low-g concert sets. You can also order individual low-g strings if you're using a common brand of strings like aquila nylagut.

Personally, i think high-g is the only way to go. It just sounds... ukeish, particularly on strums, and it adds a drone string with plenty of uses. Wounds string on a ukulele just sound wrong if you ask me.

^

Yes, it's easy to get low-g concert sets. You can also order individual low-g strings if you're using a common brand of strings like aquila nylagut.

Personally, i think high-g is the only way to go. It just sounds... ukeish, particularly on strums, and it adds a drone string with plenty of uses. Wounds string on a ukulele just sound wrong if you ask me.

You can get low g strings without a wound string in the set.

^

I know, i'm actually waiting on an 8 string set of worths for a new uke. I'm yet to find a low-g sound that I like, but i'm still staying open to finding something new.

^

I know, i'm actually waiting on an 8 string set of worths for a new uke. I'm yet to find a low-g sound that I like, but i'm still staying open to finding something new.

I am with you on the wound string thing. I don't like wounds on my ukes. That "streaky" sound is just not something I want coming from my ukes.

I have low g Aquillas (non wound) on one of my ukes (4 string) and it does offer a nice low end. That of course could be the uke itself...but it definitely works and as much as I prefer the high..I havent been able to bring myself to change it out.

Dont really care for the wounded low g sound but the Worth Clear low G is not that bad. Since I just got a new tenor uke, I decided to make my koaloha low G and its starting to grow on me. I still prefer the high G but its nice to have both...

I can actually play What a wonderful world the way it should be played.. :shaka:

For Low-G I like Hilo and Guadalupe Fibre core strings. The Guadalupe sound a bit more metallic but I like that sometimes. I have them on my Martin S-O, Bluegrass Ukuleles mahogany tenor and cigar box tenor and a Waverly Street soprano. For some reason none of my concerts are strung low-g :confused:

Top Bottom