OMG!!!! Excitement!

Melissa82

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I can play the E chord now the way it shows on chord diagrams.

This truly is a day to celebrate.

So what kind of things made you excited when learning how to play the uke? Was it a song, chord, purchase?

Every now and then, when I finally got the hang of a difficult part of a song or a new chord I giggle like a madman and make pignoises. :music:

Cognitive orgasms, a teacher I had used to call them. It's an apt description. Mine on the ukulele: Nailing any chord change to D7 without dropping the damn thing made me sigh with relief, and play (even more) like a lunatic for hours and hours. Then there was the triplet thing that had the same effect. Now, I'm waiting for my brain to get itself around the fan strum. . .

Cognitive orgasms, a teacher I had used to call them. It's an apt description. Mine on the ukulele: Nailing any chord change to D7 without dropping the damn thing made me sigh with relief, and play (even more) like a lunatic for hours and hours. Then there was the triplet thing that had the same effect. Now, I'm waiting for my brain to get itself around the fan strum. . .
I love your icon. :cool:

Doing a lesson from Aldrine and *gasp* it sounds kind of like him!! :eek:

Any time I can go from a D to an E minor without mashing all my fingers down on the strings and producing a sound not unlike my screaming two year old is a moment for celebration.

I am also pleased with myself when I figure out a way to cheat on a chord so that it sounds right but doesn't require the finger contortions I have trouble with.

The thing that made me giggle more like a school girl than I ever have was when I first learned how to play Enter Sandman. Metallica on the uke! :rock:

Recently (like Mayish) I had another giddy school girl moment when I did my first clean 10 finger strum.

I get excited at the prospect of acquiring many more Ukuleles, i find it impossible that anyone can love them as much as me! lol!

I was made up yesterday when i pulled 'i was stabbed by satan' off (chunks included!)

Sometimes it will be nailing a challenging progression…

Other times, I will discover that a song I thought would be out of my reach is actually attainable.

I remember quite clearly when I first managed to consistently hit the Dm7. That made me happy.

And it being a closed form it is very useful, as simply barring any fret is another closed form for minor sevenths… between those two you have so many options… Fm7 and it's siblings is my current nemisis. It makes my fingers cry.

Congratulations on the E chord, Melissa. May it bring you many happy songs.

[...]So what kind of things made you excited when learning how to play the uke? [...]
I'll let you know... once I get this confounded E chord right...

I recently learned how do the GF split stroke, triple and fan stroke. I am not sure what to do with them but I can play them.

Joe T

For me it was a transition from an open chord to a Bb. :D Congrats on the E chord.

For me, it was when I realized diminished chords are not as scary as I used to think. I swore them off for a long time which kept me from singing a great song ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"). Then one day I just happen to try again and... all of a sudden it's simple! I laughed... and the only ones to witness it were my dogs :)

For me, it was when I realized diminished chords are not as scary as I used to think. I swore them off for a long time which kept me from singing a great song ("A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes"). Then one day I just happen to try again and... all of a sudden it's simple! I laughed... and the only ones to witness it were my dogs :)

That is a marvelous song! The arrangement I have doesn't use diminished chords. I should try and figure out where they would go! though I could cheat—I have at least two other arrangements around here somewhere.

*Goes off and plays a bit.*

Yeah, The arrangement with the diminished chords is much better.

Top Bottom