Youtube > Mp3

ukeyermind

Reaction score
Apologies if this has come up before - I did a search and found nothing which means either I'm bad at searching (likely) or this may be helpful to some of you:

I'm rocking a laptop with no speakers right now. No soundcard, no nothing. Turns out pouring water on your laptop does not improve the sound.

But YouTube is somewhat vital to my pursuit of the uke. Argh. What to do?

My wife (LonnaB) found this site called listentoyoutubedotcom. And it can convert most YouTube vids to mp3s. So you do the conversion, burn the cd, put the disc in the stereo cd player, and you're in business. A very MacGyver solution. Good news, right?

Well, it wasn't long before I had a Seeso cd. And a Ken Middleton cd. And a few other cds. And I was just about to go apesh!t bananas all over the youtube when I paused.

Are there any legal/ethical worries here? I'm not talking about grabbing stuff from tv networks or record companies, but is there a concern about using this stuff in a way other than how the poster intended? I don't know if Boozele meant for me to listen to his version of Black Peter while driving in my car.

I'd be interested in any responses - especially before I post a version of Little Red Corvette.

peace

Apologies if this has come up before - I did a search and found nothing which means either I'm bad at searching (likely) or this may be helpful to some of you:

I'm rocking a laptop with no speakers right now. No soundcard, no nothing. Turns out pouring water on your laptop does not improve the sound.

But YouTube is somewhat vital to my pursuit of the uke. Argh. What to do?

My wife (LonnaB) found this site called listentoyoutubedotcom. And it can convert most YouTube vids to mp3s. So you do the conversion, burn the cd, put the disc in the stereo cd player, and you're in business. A very MacGyver solution. Good news, right?

Well, it wasn't long before I had a Seeso cd. And a Ken Middleton cd. And a few other cds. And I was just about to go apesh!t bananas all over the youtube when I paused.

Are there any legal/ethical worries here? I'm not talking about grabbing stuff from tv networks or record companies, but is there a concern about using this stuff in a way other than how the poster intended? I don't know if Boozele meant for me to listen to his version of Black Peter while driving in my car.

I'd be interested in any responses - especially before I post a version of Little Red Corvette.

peace
It's like recording on the radio. Just don't pass it around, use it for personal use only just to be safe.

It won't play through headphones, either. Frankly, I'm surprised it plays video and that the keyboard actually types. It got a lot of water poured on it.

I'll get a new machine next year, but that's a ways off.

Well, if you want to get technical about youtube's TOS:

http://www.youtube.com/t/terms

- You agree not to access User Submissions (defined below) or YouTube Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Embeddable Player, or other explicitly authorized means YouTube may designate.

- You may access User Submissions for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the YouTube Website. You shall not copy or download any User Submission unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the YouTube Website for that User Submission.

But I'm sure you're not the only one downloading and burning CDs. If youtube really had a problem with that, they'd be going after sites like the one you mentioned and the various programs created specifically to do what you're doing.

Like Melissa said, as long as it's only for your own personal use, no one's going to be the wiser.

I can't speak for Boozele, but if it were me, I'd be genuinely flattered that you liked my work enough to go to all that trouble to be able to listen to it in your car. :)

Anyone paranoid enough to be concerned about their work being "stolen" in this way isn't going to be posting it in public in the first place.

I don't know if Boozele meant for me to listen to his version of Black Peter while driving in my car.

There's currently nothing stopping someone from, say, hooking their iPhone or mobile-broadband-equipped laptop up to their car stereo and listening to the video's audio as it streams directly from YouTube.

So I don't see why having a CD in there as an intermediary makes much of a difference. Same end result.

(Well, I guess the main difference is the control of availability. If Boozele one day decides to take down his video, the YouTube-only listener will no longer have access to it, but the CD-archiver will.)

JJ

Thanks for the response - guess I should have read the YT TOS.

We like to toe the line when it comes to dl'ing music. We'll buy cds from folks who put 'em out, like JNunes and Bosko&Honey - and we'll grab mp3s from users who post them along with their vids.

peace

Top Bottom