PDA

View Full Version : so what do you do when you're NOT playing the uke?

3nails4holes
08-04-2009, 06:14 PM
so i've just officially joined the body of ukulele players with my acquisition of a tenor (lanikai s-t) and soprano (mitchell mu-70) within the last week.

and in preparation for these ukes i've been on here for longer than that to see what i'm getting myself into.

from looking around there's some interesting and diverse people on here!

so... i'm curious!

granted this seems more like one of those poll questions (don't know how to do that yet). but...

what sort of hobbies do you have in addition to the ukulele? hobby/past-time meaning not your work or profession--but the other stuff you like or do or would like to do.

is there a disproportionate number of woodworkers, musical snow globe collectors, lint sculptors or long-board surfers among us? are the run-of-the-mill painters and farm town addicts grossly underrepresented in the uu universe?

oh, and hobbies you really, actually do please. if you are an elbow scab collector, then okay. just don't make up stuff for the wow factor or chuckle unless it is genuine. no select spruce tops (aka spruce laminate) masquerading as solid sitka spruce! :cool:

me:

(in no particular order of preference or frequency)

- photography (canon dslr)
- wii
- hanging with the family (beautiful wife & 2 wonderful little kids)
- travel (when we can afford it)
- camping
- hiking
- scuba diving (adv open water padi)
- fencing (no not the yard boundary kind; the pokey steel, mesh mask kind)
- reading
- hammock time
- singing
- zoos & museums
- watching movies & tv shows off netflix

:shaka:

Oweesong
08-04-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm an internet junkie, sadly.
I go to school full time.
Recently, I've taken up swimming and the ukulele for fun.

thejumpingflea
08-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Other than eating, sleeping, ukin' and breathing....

No comment.

Ukulele JJ
08-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Great thread topic idea!

When I'm not playing the uke, working my day job, or hanging out with my lovely GF, here's what I do:

Going to school. I'm finishing up a degree from Troy University, all online. Now that I'm in the homestretch, I'm taking three classes per term, which is a bit hectic. :eek:
Running. I've finished five full marathons so far. But I've been a big, fat slacker the past couple of years (see bullet point #1)
Flying. I got my private pilot certificate several years back. This is another hobby that's been on the back burner due to school.
Playing piano. This is actually my "main" instrument.
Learning to play the accordion. The left hand is the tricky part.
Learning to play tennis. Boy is this humbling.
Geeking out about wine. A great little hobby that there's always something more to learn about.
Scrabble! I've actually played (poorly) in tournaments. (Yes, there are Scrabble tournaments.)
WoW. Downloading the new patch right now! :D
And yeah, Netflix. Love me some Hitchcock!

I've always wanted to take up fencing. I've heard it's a good workout. And it just seems cool and Errol Flynn-ish.

JJ

thejumpingflea
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Great thread topic idea!

When I'm not playing the uke, working my day job, or hanging out with my lovely GF, here's what I do:

Going to school. I'm finishing up a degree from Troy University, all online. Now that I'm in the homestretch, I'm taking three classes per term, which is a bit hectic. :eek:
Running. I've finished five full marathons so far. But I've been a big, fat slacker the past couple of years (see bullet point #1)
Flying. I got my private pilot certificate several years back. This is another hobby that's been on the back burner due to school.
Playing piano. This is actually my "main" instrument.
Learning to play the accordion. The left hand is the tricky part.
Learning to play tennis. Boy is this humbling.
Geeking out about wine. A great little hobby that there's always something more to learn about.
Scrabble! I've actually played (poorly) in tournaments. (Yes, there are Scrabble tournaments.)
WoW. Downloading the new patch right now! :D
And yeah, Netflix. Love me some Hitchcock!

I've always wanted to take up fencing. I've heard it's a good workout. And it just seems cool and Errol Flynn-ish.

JJ

WOW! What *can't* you do JJ? That is awesome!

ritzer012
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
-working out. specifically running and cycling. LOVE my new bike. I've done a couple of triathlons. Currently training for Nike's The Human Race 10K

-the internet. uu, perez, post secret, youtube, bloglines

-basketball. watching/playing/organzing/coaching

-reading. left over from my english/journalism major

Bratset
08-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I read... alot! Mostly history books ;)
But I also like to scuba dive during the summer, and during the winter I often tend to go on trips sleaping in snowcaves the me and my friends make ;)

koalohapaul
08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
I build them!

Seriously, though, my hobbies include baking bread, roasting coffee, cooking, gardening, and fishing/diving.

I'm just about finishing a long hiatus on diving. I had Lasik done last Friday, so I had to stay out of the water for two months. I was blind as a bat without corrective lens and I couldn't wear my contacts for a while, prior to the procedure. I could have still gone diving, but I don't have dolphin sonar, so I decided to wait. Hopefully my doctor gives me the go ahead and I can head back in the water next week.

Oh, and the internets also consumes a lot of my off time. I should probably practice more, but I end up surfing the web instead.

Pippin
08-04-2009, 08:54 PM
In addition to publishing Ukulele Player Magazine, I publish DSLR-MAG, a digital SLR camera magazine. I also write books. I have a photography business, too. I also do motivational speaking.

I love fly fishing and fly tying (some of my original fly patterns are now famous). I occasionally teach seminars and classes.

Cycling is great recreation. I love hiking, too. I combine hiking with photography and take shots for photo galleries and a card business in which I am involved.

Computer technology is also a fascination. I've been using computers since before there was an IBM-PC (which came onto the market in 1981). I had been computing for years prior to that.

I have a list of hobbies a mile long... no need for all that.

Pippin
08-04-2009, 08:58 PM
I build them!

Seriously, though, my hobbies include baking bread, roasting coffee, cooking, gardening, and fishing/diving.

I love various breads and bake several. Irish Oatmeal bread is my favorite. I love coffee, too. Kauai is my favorite, followed by Kona.

I have always thought about combining photography and diving. There is a world of opportunity there.

uke4all
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
our family hobby is bowling, even my 5 1/2 yr old daughter bowls well. I like to take the kids to the park, or just hang out at the mall or shopping center. i dont get to the movies often, so I love Netflix. I have a farm on Farm Town.I am online more than I should be practicing, cause I still suck...I keep wanting to buy new ukes convincing myself it will turn me into a better player!! I feel that I have a pretty sad, boring life....oh well...

koalohapaul
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
If you get the gear, I'm sure under water photography would be worth the effort.

That Irish Oatmeal bread sounds delicious. The only problems I have with baking is that I usually don't have the time, and good flour is near impossible to find here. I order flour from the mainland, and the price per pound after shipping is usually doubled. I don't bake consistently enough to order larger bags and save on the shipping. Either the bugs get to it, or the flour just gets old and rancid. My dream is to build a brick oven in the back yard, when we move back to my parent's property. We're doing a renovation and when it's done, I'll have the perfect space to put my oven. If it isn't functional, I know I'll at least have a good time putting it together.

If you haven't tried Moloka'i coffee, it's worth exploration. I like it the best out of the local coffees, followed by Kaua'i and then Kona. There's so many growers in Kona, so the quality is not too consistent. I hooked up with a really good farm for a couple years, but I stopped roasting in any decent volume, so I haven't called them in a while. I had to throw away some beans that got really old. I tried roasting them, but the coffee was flat and horrible. Not much better than roasted soy bean water.

I love various breads and bake several. Irish Oatmeal bread is my favorite. I love coffee, too. Kauai is my favorite, followed by Kona.

I have always thought about combining photography and diving. There is a world of opportunity there.

LindsayOfSaturn
08-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Other than the uke....

Playing guitar. I like to dabble in drums a bit, I'm hoping to get into blues guitar soon, maybe some baritone Uke, definately som electric gutiar....just need money!

Here's my current one, kind of a piece of junk, but good starter.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/GoalieGirl34/WHFr.jpg

Here's the new one on the way, graduation gift!

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/GoalieGirl34/fkjgfhk.jpg

Art, I mainly do off the streets graffitti, love the culture and the art. Here's some old stuff of mine. Gotten a lot better since this.

http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs34/i/2008/297/0/6/I_got_da_blues_by_PurpleFlapjack.jpg

Reading.

And I love playing roller hockey, yes I am a girl. I am a goalie, here's a pic of me playing at nationals this year.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm305/GoalieGirl34/IMG_5901.jpg

SeanKy671
08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Aha well, like most male teenager I love eating, texting, video games, but hate reading.. haha
hmm but other than that...

I love tennis, going out for walks, drawing, school band (saxophone), oddly enough I don't like television that much.. I watch maybe 2 or 3 shows..

dominicfoundthemooon
08-04-2009, 10:06 PM
i am big on the social network stuff

YouTube
Facebook
UkuleleUndergroud
Twitter

my macbook
my iphone

i guess this is all the interwebnets right.. world wide and all..

MY future wife HATES THIS! well she just hates when she talks to me and i am looking at my iPhone and i say.. "What?"

I also play guitar.. and stuff

SeanKy671
08-04-2009, 10:09 PM
i am big on the social network stuff

YouTube
Facebook
UkuleleUndergroud
Twitter

my macbook
my iphone

i guess this is all the interwebnets right.. world wide and all..

MY future wife HATES THIS! well she just hates when she talks to me and i am looking at my iPhone and i say.. "What?"

I also play guitar.. and stuff

lol yes me as well except twitter haha
I don't get it really..

I am also a fan of the a particular korean drama lol

Ahnko Honu
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Besides the 'ukulele I LOVE woodworking especially woodturning on a lathe. I also LOVE the outdoors- fishing, diving (spear fish), and once in a while I'll go up into the mountains and pop me a wild boar. Also love to cook, read fiction and the Bible.
I LOVE to surf (Longboard) but I haven't been able too since my back injury but plan on it as soon as I've recovered.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/Ahnkochee/KAKU-MANIA/P1010218.jpg

AnnaUK
08-05-2009, 02:20 AM
I listen to music when I'm not playing it. And daydreaming that one day I'll develop some talent ha ha. :D

I read a lot, all kinds of books, anything really. I've got books piled up all over my house.

And renovating my house. I bought a place three years ago which was in need of serious updating. So I've become a "master" of roofing, wiring, landscaping, fence building, pouring concrete and lord knows what else!

UkeNukem
08-05-2009, 03:29 AM
Nice 'Cuda, I hope to get back into fishing when I get more time. So, my scene . . .

Work FT at a library (not a librarian)
Graduate next May from Graduate School (Then I'll be a Librarian) :)
Keep everything fixed and my wife happy (or is it the other way around?) :eek:
Traveling to see first grandchild again (She is awesome)
Helping other daughter finish college :wallbash:
Play guitar and drums when I can/jam with friends :rock:
Other hobbies include Internet, electronics hacking and reading SciFi

Great thread idea, Most of us are pretty busy!

Melissa82
08-05-2009, 03:33 AM
Man, you guys are so cool and make me feel like an idiot. :(

All I do is play video games...

uke552
08-05-2009, 03:46 AM
I fish as much as possible (which is only about twice a month due to work). I surf eBay (have been since 1997 - it's like a new garage sale every day) and watch a little TV (only 2 or 3 shows that I like). I try and play my uke daily and the rest of the time is spent at work/sleeping/eating.

Skrik
08-05-2009, 04:59 AM
I used to argue with the missus, but that hobby was not my choice, so I left.

Now I do what I like, which consists mostly of playing the guitar and ukulele. Other than that, I read, watch old films, and sleep. Sleeping is an underrated hobby.

bbycrts
08-05-2009, 05:00 AM
I build them!

I'm just about finishing a long hiatus on diving. I had Lasik done last Friday, so I had to stay out of the water for two months. I was blind as a bat without corrective lens and I couldn't wear my contacts for a while, prior to the procedure. I could have still gone diving, but I don't have dolphin sonar, so I decided to wait. Hopefully my doctor gives me the go ahead and I can head back in the water next week.

Oh, and the internets also consumes a lot of my off time. I should probably practice more, but I end up surfing the web instead.

Hey Paul -

My other interests are also baking, roasting coffee, cooking, and gardening! I used to be into fishing big time, but it was really hard to get the time in. I've never dived - so we're not total clones.

I've just recently gotten into coffee roasting - it is a ton of fun. My favorite has been a peaberry from Kauai, but its availability has been intermittent - my go-to for cost and flavor has been Costa Rican...

zombizon
08-05-2009, 05:16 AM
My biggest passion in life is learning new things (I'm a teacher so it's fitting).

Right now my interests (besides the uke) include:

- cycling and learning bike maintenance
- attempting to learn Latin
- bonsai trees
- reading, reading, reading (I teach 7th grade English. Currently I'm working my way through the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series).
- video games (Xbox 360)

jazzuke
08-05-2009, 05:44 AM
Interesting thread:
- I work a lot (I have two jobs, a technology consultant and a University instructor (3 classes 3 semesters a year).
- I'm a single parent to two teenagers, one in college and one still in HS
- I teach Sunday school at our synagogue
- I lead a scouting unit called a Venture Crew (co-ed teens 14 through 20)
- I play a lot of music (lap and pedal steels, jazz guitar, sax, clarinet and flute and mandolin)
- I read and smoke cigars
- I backpack and camp
- I kayak

PattyD
08-05-2009, 05:59 AM
Stay at home Mom of two tween boys
So --- cook, school, clean, homework, cook, scouts, clean, taxi, laundry, referee, cook, Pony baseball, clean

For me --- illicit online affairs

:stop: j/k :rotfl:

leftovermagic84
08-05-2009, 06:20 AM
well of course I check UU all day. I also love to read, play video games, tinker with just about anything electronic, and I'm trying to get back into running regularly.

08-05-2009, 06:41 AM
i...
... keep my wahine happy (or try to. all about husband skills)
... surf (but i'm pretty much a weekend warrior now from the valley)
... fish (this is how i first aligned myself with Ankho Honu)
... fix fishing reels (because i don't fish as often as i used to)
... write (graf still have tons of cans at my parents place but now my dad uses them for special projects around the house. at least he kept up my mural in their backyard lol. don't get up anymore, tho a sticker makes its way on a sign every now and then)
... 'm an internet whore (fb, twitter, blogs mostly to talk shit to my homies)
... follow Hawai`i politics (to my detriment.)
... ball (intramural basketball leagues here and there)
... box (just spar with the homies)
... write (pidgin-centric short stories)
... wish i could build a paipo/alaia/olo (and ride the waves like my kupuna used to)

katreetrunk
08-05-2009, 06:48 AM
:shaka: i love the diversity!! so many different people from every walk of life on here!

i really love being a little nature junkie and going to the beach basically every day [it's 5 minutes away from my house :cool: ] usually i go and bring my uke along, and get a whole bunch of comments about it. i usually wait for my dad to get off work and he meets me there at the beach, and we fish til the sun goes down if there's no rain..[i also get really dark skinned :p]

i'm just getting into digital photography, although i still have alot to learn but i'm pretty excited about it.

college classes start back up again in a few weeks too, but it's all good, i'm stoked for my music class! can't wait to meet some new people, maybe get a band together and jam out and all that good stuff!

i'm also a wedding singer...

oh and i really like cooking! healthy and deliciously fattening foods haha!

telebob
08-05-2009, 06:49 AM
I have a full time day gig: an IT professional with a large national corporation. I have a BS degree in Information Management Systems from the University of Maryland, an AA degree from Montgomery College, and I am a certified Program Management Professional (PMP). Yep, I'm a 'pimp.' :p

I play guitar, mandolin and bass. Performed in a 4-state area in a local country/rock band, the Bodine Brothers, from 1986-2006. I was voted Artist of the Month (AOM) on SongRamp in July 2008. :)

I'm a part time semi-pro songwriter with songs recorded and released internationally. I've been a member of the Nashville Songwriters Association International (NSAI) since 1995, and ran the WASHDC workshop for over 5 years.

As you can tell, Music is a large part of my life. And the uke is VeRy CooL.

Joe H
08-05-2009, 07:51 AM
-I make homemade beer. Right now I'm working on a recipe for a porter.
-During the summer I like to grill.
-I'm trying to ride a unicycle.
-Play video games.
-I also draw a lot. You can find some of my stuff on my blog (http://www.joevilleusa.blogspot.com).

Melissa82
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
-I also draw a lot. You can find some of my stuff on my blog (http://www.joevilleusa.blogspot.com).Wow, I really like your stuff!!

buddhuu
08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
Musical:

Mandolin
Fiddle
Tin whistle
Bodhran

Other:

Read
Write
Archery
Juggling
Walking
Maintain community website

I also spend a lot of time in the pub. We live in a small rural village and the pub is pretty much the centre of all social stuff here... Er, apart from church, and I'm afraid I'm not a religious person so I don't go there.

ihavenotea
08-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Let's see, active non-ukulele hobbies would include:

Reading; I love good fiction, the occasional non-fiction
Playing Harmonica
Trying to Play Piano (I need to learn to comp. I can play simple sheet music, but I wish to get into jazz piano more… blasted ukulele takes away from my piano time; it is like the dark side—quicker, faster, easier)
Singing (around the house and in a band at church that plays for elementary age kids)
Video Games; not like the old days… I have been working though the Zelda series backwards. I get through about one Zelda title a year. Just started Ocarina of Time and I am loving it.
Board Games (e.g., Agricola, PowerGrid, Titan, etc.)
Camping with my Family
Programming; I always have some personal programming project in the works. Presently I am working on an all encompassing digital songbook and set manager. This project was coming along at a good clip until I bought my ukulele…
Triathlons! So very cool; been a lazy year though. Just signed up for a 10k to keep myself training.

Ancient and Fallow Hobbies (things I have done in the past and will likely pick up one day when Family and Work are a little less demanding):

SCUBA
Skiing
Drawing
Animation

Pippin
08-05-2009, 08:57 AM
If you get the gear, I'm sure under water photography would be worth the effort.

That Irish Oatmeal bread sounds delicious. The only problems I have with baking is that I usually don't have the time, and good flour is near impossible to find here. I order flour from the mainland, and the price per pound after shipping is usually doubled. I don't bake consistently enough to order larger bags and save on the shipping. Either the bugs get to it, or the flour just gets old and rancid. My dream is to build a brick oven in the back yard, when we move back to my parent's property. We're doing a renovation and when it's done, I'll have the perfect space to put my oven. If it isn't functional, I know I'll at least have a good time putting it together.

If you haven't tried Moloka'i coffee, it's worth exploration. I like it the best out of the local coffees, followed by Kaua'i and then Kona. There's so many growers in Kona, so the quality is not too consistent. I hooked up with a really good farm for a couple years, but I stopped roasting in any decent volume, so I haven't called them in a while. I had to throw away some beans that got really old. I tried roasting them, but the coffee was flat and horrible. Not much better than roasted soy bean water.

Putting floor in cold storage ends the bug problems. My wife and I use enough that it is not generally a problem. Thanks for the tip on Moloka'i, I will have to look for it. Brick ovens are great because of the even heat. Baking bread in a brick oven is first rate. The next best thing is a loaf stoneware dish from Pampered Chef, if you can find one. You could order it online if necessary, but there is probably a local representative there somewhere.

Joe H
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
Wow, I really like your stuff!!

Thanks, and congrats on getting the E chord.

EricStetson
08-05-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm just finishing up a degree in music composition with a minor in theater at Georgia Southern University.

-I play piano for money. (and occasionally for fun)
-Film/Theater composer (I write for independent films, commercials and live theater)
-Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu/grappling
-chess
-acting in plays and indie films (we just recently won a local film festival with a mockumentary about a man born with a clown face) :)
-rockin' the keytar (Roland AX-1)
-video games (I work at Gamestop, so it's hard not to)
-world percussion
-reading/writing poetry
-collecting instruments

Teek
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Surfing the 'net!

Walking my dog

Reading fiction and science and psych based lit,

Am a film buff

Studying Buddhism

Also a home coffee roaster, I like the wilder, dry processed African coffees best, mostly Yemen and Ethiopian coffees; but also like Indonesian varietals. There are some awesome Indian coffees becoming more accessible, I am actually liking a good Indian (Mallali, Mysore) coffee more than most Indonesians now (Sumatra, Sulawesi). Don't ask me about it unless you are also a roaster, I will bore you to tears! :rolleyes:

Hiking and mountain biking

Motorcycling

Painting; oils and acrylics

Photography

Cooking

Historical memoribilia and art are really a big ongoing interest.

And music is an essential background to all of that. :D

Brewerpaul
08-05-2009, 10:08 AM
After 30 years as a podiatrist, I went back to school, became a nurse, and now work in a hospital OR. I LOVE it. None of the hassles of running my own business!

My second job/hobby is making high end pennywhistles from exotic hardwoods. Not trying to sell y'all, but check out the link in my signature to get an idea. SOMEONE has to feed the acquisition obsessive disorder that whistle players have just as bad as ukers :smileybounce:

I love kayaking (if it ever stops raining in the Northeast),biking, hiking and playing music. I'm in a small Irish band-- I'm debating dropping the Uke-bomb on them some night at practice :D

In addition to uke, which is very new to me, I play whistles (naturally!), Irish flute, mandolin, a LITTLE bit of fiddle, guitar, bass, recorder etc. Life is good...

Ahnko Honu
08-05-2009, 10:12 AM
After 30 years as a podiatrist, I went back to school, became a nurse, and now work in a hospital OR. I LOVE it. None of the hassles of running my own business!

My second job/hobby is making high end pennywhistles from exotic hardwoods. Not trying to sell y'all, but check out the link in my signature to get an idea. SOMEONE has to feed the acquisition obsessive disorder that whistle players have just as bad as ukers :smileybounce:

I love kayaking (if it ever stops raining in the Northeast),biking, hiking and playing music. I'm in a small Irish band-- I'm debating dropping the Uke-bomb on them some night at practice :D

In addition to uke, which is very new to me, I play whistles (naturally!), Irish flute, mandolin, a LITTLE bit of fiddle, guitar, bass, recorder etc. Life is good...

I would have guessed you made beer. :D

Melissa82
08-05-2009, 10:23 AM
My second job/hobby is making high end pennywhistles from exotic hardwoods. Not trying to sell y'all, but check out the link in my signature to get an idea. SOMEONE has to feed the acquisition obsessive disorder that whistle players have just as bad as ukers :smileybounce:Wow, those are nice whistles! I was thinking of getting one then was like... ohh way too nice for me, lol.

Leisureclub
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
In addition the uke, I'm into cars. All kinds but my current pride and joy is an 05 Subaru STi. I play mens slowpitch softball most seasons(took this one off). I'm into snow and wakeboarding.

I also enjoy the finer things in life, Team Fortress 2(video game) and beer(hard to be too big a beer snob in Oklahoma) and all kinds of whiskey.

I play a little guitar as well but that's hardly worth mentioning.

ukeyermind
08-05-2009, 11:21 AM
thanks for starting this thread . . .

Lately it's been all uke all the time - if I'm not working or in bed, I'm beating up my wife's fluke.

But I usually read a book or more every week, I try to go see as much live music as I can, I maintain a small message board for a local musician, I write reviews of cds and concerts for various "jamband-centric" websites, I've got a 6 yo son, a 10 yo daughter, two cats, a dog and a mortgage. Oh yeah, and I'm trying all the beers - one at a time.

mrUKETOBER
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
i clean my uke when im not playing it... and then i think about the next time i can play it

Skottoman
08-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Non uke hobbies.... hm...

- RC Cars. Electric, nitro, whatever. Mostly on-road.
- Beer
- Video games
- Driving aggressively on curvy mountain roads in my Lotus.
- Working on my Lotus.
- Beer
- Internet forum surfing. UU, Lotustalk, Tamiyaclub, Facebook.
- Travel (Especially european travel)
- and did I mention Beer?

wfwhitson
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I collect miniatures. I build 1 inch to 1 foot scale doll houses.
I also collect Lionel Trains.

haolejohn
08-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Well I have many hobbies:
Spending time with my smoking hot wife
Hiking/primative camping
Longboarding (when near ocean)
Gaming (ncaa fb)
Hunting
Trout fishing
Riding my harley
Doing ministry (motorcycle)
History buff
I suppose school (finish with masters in feb)
Reading
Working out (just started again)
And last but not least picking up painting again.
I hope to convince the wife to allow me to pursue MMA again (mainly Brazillian jui jitsu)

Playscool39
08-05-2009, 01:14 PM
When I'm not working on my day job or playing the uke I:
-Surf the net
-Gaming (PC, PSP, PS2 and Wii)
-Love to watch and play sports (play:squash and from time tot time soccer and tennis, watch: all kinds of sports)
- I also play basketball and coach youht teams (from 14 up to 22)
- Watch movies and listen to music
- Spend time with my family, friends and of course girlfriend

buddhuu
08-05-2009, 01:20 PM
[...]Not trying to sell y'all, but check out the link in my signature to get an idea. SOMEONE has to feed the acquisition obsessive disorder that whistle players have just as bad as ukers [...]

I know Paul from http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/, a great Irish music forum. His blowable music tubes are very well thought of. :)

drjond56
08-05-2009, 04:21 PM
1. Guitar (my string instrument time is probably 1/2 steel string, 1/4 classical
and 1/4 ukulele).

2. I am proficient on the trumpet (played for 30 years) but perform in public
only occasionaly now

3. Piano--my original instrument, but play sporadically now

4. Nature photography

5. I participate in various non-fiction writers workshops and have 2
booklength projects underway

6. Very active in medical missions and other activities of the Episcopal church

CoffeeMate
08-05-2009, 04:46 PM
1. I love to bake and cook. I prefer to bake, I have quite the sweet tooth and bread is so yummy...Specializing in cheesecakes ( have around 15 favorites)
2. Gaming- mainly MagictheGathering these days but we used to play a lot of DnD and HeroClix
3. I read a bunch, mainly sci-fi and fantasy, but I'll read just about any genre
4. I love movies ( Hitchcock, any classics with Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, Jimmy Stuart or Audrey Hepburn to name a few. Crappy zombie flix, really bad horror films, comedy, romance....)
5. Spend way to much time on the internet
6. Love going on walks, hiking, camping
7. We were writing a Zombie movie, but took up the ukulele and haven't had the time or inclination to finish it.
8. Collect comic books ( and read them)
9. We make our own lemoncello and orangecello mmmm...booze

itsme
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
1. I love to bake and cook. I prefer to bake, I have quite the sweet tooth and bread is so yummy...Specializing in cheesecakes ( have around 15 favorites)
Can I come over? :p

NatalieS
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
I spend most of my time:

- in my fourth year of vet school (almost done-- yay!!)
- playing piano (although uke has taken over)
- singing all the time
- reading before bed
- enjoying nature
- I have several pets(two corgis, many fish especially cichlids, and two parrots)
- Did I mention I LOVE fish?
- listening to music (especially indie/folk, film scores, euro pop)
- I love coffeehouses but my town has only one good one
- movies/TV (favorites are period pieces and classics, anything with Julie Andrews, Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers... favorite TV shows are Office, 30 Rock, and Bones)

gotrice415510
08-05-2009, 06:26 PM
i play the uke, i longboard, and play tennis

Pippin
08-05-2009, 08:18 PM
- I have several pets(two corgis, many fish especially cichlids, and two parrots)
- Did I mention I LOVE fish?

I used to raise Oscars, Firemouths, Dempseys, Cobalts.

Cichlids are very smart. I used to train Oscars to do tricks.

3nails4holes
08-06-2009, 05:01 AM
thanks so much u^3 (uu universe) for responding to this thread!

it's really great to now be able to see/imagine more of who you are on the other side of your uke.

and i must say we are an interesting batch of ppl! wow!
:shaka:

bbycrts
08-06-2009, 05:16 AM
Well I have many hobbies:

No need to go any further than that!

:smileybounce:

NatalieS
08-06-2009, 08:07 AM
I used to raise Oscars, Firemouths, Dempseys, Cobalts.

Cichlids are very smart. I used to train Oscars to do tricks.

I agree, they are very smart! Cichlids are definitely my thing. I currently have two convicts and a Red Texas (over a foot long!)...

Okay, my nerdy fish-loving self needs to settle down now.
:)

Brewerpaul
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
Wow, those are nice whistles! I was thinking of getting one then was like... ohh way too nice for me, lol.
Thanks!
My whistles are admittedly high end, but the good news is that to learn whistle you can do perfectly well with an inexpensive mass produced one. As Buddhu mentioned, check out Chiffandfipple.com for tons of information on this wonderful little instrument. It goes great with Uke too! The Chiff and Fipple forums are like Uke Underworld for whistles: full of lots of great, helpful people who love getting newbies started.

BTW-- I indeed used to homebrew beer, but once I started making whistles all of my so called spare time was filled up.

inkandsilver
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
"It's a B-side. And it's only available in Belgium. And I'll never play it again!"

- John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats

Haha. Do you know when he said this? I feel like I might have seen that show.

Anyway, thanks op for the fun thread.

I teach hs photography.
Hang out w/my wife.
I love to read, wish I could do it more. Literary fiction, poetry, and a number of nonfiction interests.
Photographing.
Sound art, though this has been on hiatus of late.
Playing Ultimate.
Listening to music, sometimes very loud.
Trying to keep my yard from turning too brown and weedy (new homeowner).
Too much staring at the computer (have you noticed how many people say this? maybe we should either come to terms with it or stop).

Daydreaming. Lots of that.

mrplatypus70
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
A little over a month ago I had a job, I was an electronics technician working with lasers, electronics and optics used to do precision measuring. I have lost my job, which should be real scary because if I do the math the time from now to living in a tent is... Anyway when I am not playing the ukulele I am spending time with my beautiful and talented and all around awesome (although she tends to be too hard on herself and put herself down, where the *$%# did she get that from???) 13-year-old daughter. I also like fishing, walking in the woods, and I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain... Oh my god, if I had anything worth giving away that I could afford to give away at this point in time I would host a contest and make you all do the best cover of the Pina Colada song by whoever wrote it!!!!

haolejohn
08-07-2009, 05:50 PM
No need to go any further than that!

:smileybounce:

True. Still wonder how I got blessed with her at times. I definitly didn,t deserve her.

lisaxy424
08-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand the question...

;)

iamdanielle
08-07-2009, 06:01 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand the question...

;)

hehehe. that's what i was thinking!!

DeG
08-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Ya...sometimes my wife is looking over my shoulder as I type too. :D

salukulady
08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
hehehe. that's what i was thinking!!Do they mean there's something else to do?

haolejohn
08-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Ya...sometimes my wife is looking over my shoulder as I type too. :D

Lol. Did u get the 6 or 8 string?

Russ Sonny Kemner
08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
My main hobby is building ukuleles. My second hobby is restoring old furniture. Mostly finding dumpster quality stuff in the junk shops, garage sales, and stuff people have discarded, and repair, rebuild, refinish etc. Have learned a lot about wood working restoring the antiques over the years and now apply that in my uke building.

Also I have a job that is pretty demanding and time consuming, which adds that much more theraputic value to my hobbies.

Thanks for asking.

schuermurrman
08-08-2009, 06:15 PM
hehehe. that's what i was thinking!!

Yup...I second that!! :music:

noah_clinnson
08-08-2009, 06:53 PM
My most satisfying hobby is probably writing, I sort of do it a lot. I also read more than the average human, I say this with confidence. I pretty much sing songs to myself 80% of the time I'm awake. I daydream and think about things I will never know the answer to. I also like camping and conversing in small groups. Hard manual labor is also pretty invigorating.

Another hobby is definitely talking about myself to people I don't know. Seriously. Strangers make my world go round.

Wonderful topic.

gabzuke
08-08-2009, 07:50 PM
when im not playing the uke? not so much...:

-sleep alot of times
-Im a full time high school student so im packed with homework
-I watch alot of old dvd's
-I take alot of my time reminiscing about random stuff
-Sometimes i play gutiar, drums, bass but not really that good at them
-Currently learning the keyboard
-I play the Psp
-Im an internet junkie so im in msn/IM most of the time
-I go out most of the time picking up the chiks ;) im joking but i do go out alot

ichadwick
08-09-2009, 02:46 AM
I run a small business providing printing, graphic design, shipping, packing and office supplies.
I'm a freelance writer and editor (I was reporter, then editor of the local newspaper, as well as local TV and radio broadcaster for 12 years before I bought my business). Not as much work in that these days, but I still do some, mostly magazine features.
I write a blog, much of it about politics, but also with movie reviews, comments on science, urban development, local issues and religion.
I maintain my own forum and several websites (Henry Hudson, tequila, Triumph motorcycles, ukulele and harmonica reviews included). I hack at HTML and CSS code, with a little PHP tinkering on the side.
I do some freelance web design and maintenance work for customers.
I'm also a politician and meet weekly for council sessions, often lasting five-six hours each. Been on council six years now.
I attend social events, information sessions, and workshops for council, too (have a convention in Ottawa coming up next week).
I sit on several local committees and boards that meet every month - airport, library board, sustainability, housing and ethics, and sometimes sit in on other committees. Been on the library board since 91 or 92.
I'm a member of the Optimists, a local service club that holds events and raises money for youth issues. Meets monthly, has events throughout the year.
I walk my dog, brush my dog, feed my cats, brush my cats, play with them all.
I make my own wine. Drink it, too...
I read, with never fewer than six books on the go at a time, often more. I even read when I'm walking my dog. I love to read Shakespeare and Chaucer, history, and science. I carry a book in my car just in case...
I study English, grammar, style, etymology and language history - a personal passion and I read style guides and grammar books religiously (I make it a point to re-read Strunk & White annually). I abhor slovenly use of the language.
I play some guitar (less today than in the last 40+ years because I play uke more often), some harmonica. tried my hand at flute, shakuhachi and didgeridoo, too.
I play some computer games (mostly FPS and RPG), usually solo, sometimes co-op with a friend. Overlord II right now.
I meddle in my wife's hobby - gardening. Mostly doing the grunt work (I build decks, fences, walkways, etc. around the house), but I enjoy it.
I contemplate Buddhist ethics and morality; read books on Buddhist values, Buddhist issues and try to apply those ideals into my daily life.
I study chess, do chess exercises and puzzles, but play mostly against the computer unless afriend comes to visit.
I watch movies - mostly sci fi, film noir and oldies - and also some BBC TV series. On DVD or TV - we seldom go to the theatre.
I visit my aging mother in her nursing home, 2 1/2-hours away, and talk to her on the phone, daily, in between visits. I'm heading out in a few minutes...
I practice a little Spanish to prepare for our regular vacation or tours of the tequila industry. Have a refresher class booked for the fall, one evening a week. Try to spend an hour or so with Susan weekly in th fall, practicing words, verbs, etc.
I like to spend two weeks in Zihuatanejo in late winter, with Susan of course. This year I may take a uke with me!
I like to cook a bit - bake my own bread, do Mexican food or pastas, some sushi or vegetarian dishes. Susan's the real cook, so I just putter.
I post regularly here and less frequently on other forums (and on all, comment frequently on egregiously bad grammar, poor spelling, lazy capitalization, slovenly punctuation...:rolleyes:)
I read Internet news sites to stay abreast of the world, read media commentaries, blogs and political sites for opinions and ideas.
I like to walk to work, often taking my dog with me, which gives me 15-20 minutes each way to get some exercise, read, and relax.
I'm an amateur naturalist and like to observe the living world. I can spend hours watching ants build nests, or spiders spin webs.
I'm learning recording technology and have all the hardware and software - now just need some talent and time to produce something.
Susan and I like to walk into town and stroll around the downtown, or ride our bikes on the local trails for a few hours.

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-09-2009, 02:02 PM
^geez... canada sounds nice lol

i play poker and study in my spare time.

also go out alot, too much :S

RON<>VA
08-09-2009, 06:03 PM
I run a small business providing printing, graphic design, shipping, packing and office supplies.
I'm a freelance writer and editor (I was reporter, then editor of the local newspaper, as well as local TV and radio broadcaster for 12 years before I bought my business). Not as much work in that these days, but I still do some, mostly magazine features.
I write a blog, much of it about politics, but also with movie reviews, comments on science, urban development, local issues and religion.
I maintain my own forum and several websites (Henry Hudson, tequila, Triumph motorcycles, ukulele and harmonica reviews included). I hack at HTML and CSS code, with a little PHP tinkering on the side.
I do some freelance web design and maintenance work for customers.
I'm also a politician and meet weekly for council sessions, often lasting five-six hours each. Been on council six years now.
I attend social events, information sessions, and workshops for council, too (have a convention in Ottawa coming up next week).
I sit on several local committees and boards that meet every month - airport, library board, sustainability, housing and ethics, and sometimes sit in on other committees. Been on the library board since 91 or 92.
I'm a member of the Optimists, a local service club that holds events and raises money for youth issues. Meets monthly, has events throughout the year.
I walk my dog, brush my dog, feed my cats, brush my cats, play with them all.
I make my own wine. Drink it, too...
I read, with never fewer than six books on the go at a time, often more. I even read when I'm walking my dog. I love to read Shakespeare and Chaucer, history, and science. I carry a book in my car just in case...
I study English, grammar, style, etymology and language history - a personal passion and I read style guides and grammar books religiously (I make it a point to re-read Strunk & White annually). I abhor slovenly use of the language.
I play some guitar (less today than in the last 40+ years because I play uke more often), some harmonica. tried my hand at flute, shakuhachi and didgeridoo, too.
I play some computer games (mostly FPS and RPG), usually solo, sometimes co-op with a friend. Overlord II right now.
I meddle in my wife's hobby - gardening. Mostly doing the grunt work (I build decks, fences, walkways, etc. around the house), but I enjoy it.
I contemplate Buddhist ethics and morality; read books on Buddhist values, Buddhist issues and try to apply those ideals into my daily life.
I study chess, do chess exercises and puzzles, but play mostly against the computer unless afriend comes to visit.
I watch movies - mostly sci fi, film noir and oldies - and also some BBC TV series. On DVD or TV - we seldom go to the theatre.
I visit my aging mother in her nursing home, 2 1/2-hours away, and talk to her on the phone, daily, in between visits. I'm heading out in a few minutes...
I practice a little Spanish to prepare for our regular vacation or tours of the tequila industry. Have a refresher class booked for the fall, one evening a week. Try to spend an hour or so with Susan weekly in th fall, practicing words, verbs, etc.
I like to spend two weeks in Zihuatanejo in late winter, with Susan of course. This year I may take a uke with me!
I like to cook a bit - bake my own bread, do Mexican food or pastas, some sushi or vegetarian dishes. Susan's the real cook, so I just putter.
I post regularly here and less frequently on other forums (and on all, comment frequently on egregiously bad grammar, poor spelling, lazy capitalization, slovenly punctuation...:rolleyes:)
I read Internet news sites to stay abreast of the world, read media commentaries, blogs and political sites for opinions and ideas.
I like to walk to work, often taking my dog with me, which gives me 15-20 minutes each way to get some exercise, read, and relax.
I'm an amateur naturalist and like to observe the living world. I can spend hours watching ants build nests, or spiders spin webs.
I'm learning recording technology and have all the hardware and software - now just need some talent and time to produce something.
Susan and I like to walk into town and stroll around the downtown, or ride our bikes on the local trails for a few hours.

Ian, you really need to find some activities to occuply your spare time!:)

MisoHappy
08-09-2009, 06:16 PM
I'm a nerd, haha

I like to read, fantasy/ magic mostly

I spend a lot of time of youtube and facebook

I talk to my friends, via AIM, email, fb etc.

I'm an artist

I'm a pretty serious gamer, but not an obsessed one

I watch anime online....(Bleach, Naruto, Inu Yasha, etc.)

And besides that, I'm doing homework

mini elvis64
08-09-2009, 11:33 PM
other than uke, spending moneys, riding my bike, playing ps2, and chillin!!!!!:cool:

UkuLeLesReggAe
08-10-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm a nerd, haha

I like to read, fantasy/ magic mostly

I spend a lot of time of youtube and facebook

I talk to my friends, via AIM, email, fb etc.

I'm an artist

I'm a pretty serious gamer, but not an obsessed one

I watch anime online....(Bleach, Naruto, Inu Yasha, etc.)

And besides that, I'm doing homework

omg, inuyasha works wonders.

AgentORC
08-10-2009, 03:55 AM
I wish I was playing uke :D
I read a LOT. I can usually finish a 500 page book in a day and still have time to read more.
I attempt to write somthing other than my poems.
I don't watch tv much, but when I do it's usually Phineas and Ferb, Survivor, Jeopardy, or Wheel of fortune.
Listen to music and fantasize about being in a garage band.
Try to teach myself bass and drums
CHOIR. That's a biggie. I'm going into my ninth year. (I'm an alto 2):cool:
Babysit my siblings.
Hang around here.

salukulady
08-10-2009, 04:30 AM
Ian, you really need to find some activities to occuply your spare time!:)I want to know when he sleeps.

ihavenotea
08-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I want to know when he sleeps.

Ian sleeps?

rossjr
08-10-2009, 07:56 AM
Like many of you I have many interests...

- Married, Father of 3, Grandfather of 2 (so far...)
- Golf (or at least try)
- Ride my motorcycle
- Moderate a Model Building website (http://forums.scalehobby.com)
- Build Plastic Scale Models more pictures (http://gallery.scalehobby.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=rossjrgallery)
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/albums/album123/33_Nose.jpg
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/albums/album51/Bronze.jpg
http://gallery.scalehobby.com/albums/album34/03_Front.jpg

- Camping
- Fishing
- Watching Movies

Ahnko Honu
08-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Like many of you I have many interests...

- Married, Father of 3, Grandfather of 2 (so far...)
- Golf (or at least try)
- Ride my motorcycle
- Moderate a Model Building website (http://forums.scalehobby.com)
- Build Plastic Scale Models more pictures (http://gallery.scalehobby.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=rossjrgallery)

http://gallery.scalehobby.com/albums/album51/Bronze.jpg

- Fishing

COOL, I've been making 1/4" (1/48) scale WWII aircraft models since my 7th birthday almost 43 years ago, still have the original 3 models hanging from ceiling in my old bedroom (Zero, Hellcat, P-38) as well a several dozen others mainly Pacific Theatre where my dad fought. I have 3 big boxes of unbuilt planes that I have accumilated over the years with the plan to makes these with my dad but only got 4 completed (B-24, A-20, P-61, B-26) before Dad passed away, and can't get myself to build anymore. :confused:

rossjr
08-10-2009, 10:00 AM
COOL, I've been making 1/4" (1/48) scale WWII aircraft models since my 7th birthday almost 43 years ago, still have the original 3 models hanging from ceiling in my old bedroom (Zero, Hellcat, P-38) as well a several dozen others mainly Pacific Theatre where my dad fought. I have 3 big boxes of unbuilt planes that I have accumilated over the years with the plan to makes these with my dad but only got 4 completed (B-24, A-20, P-61, B-26) before Dad passed away, and can't get myself to build anymore. :confused:

Very sorry about your Father passing, Thank you for his service fighting in the Pacific Theatre.

My Father has been my major influence building models and playing instruments. He plays the harmonica and a little guitar and got me my first Ukulele probably 40 years ago. Like you I started building about 40 years ago.. But I have a lot more unbuilt kits... Last count was over 230.... You want to talk about UAS, I have MAS (Model Acquisiton Syndrome). You are welcome to join us over on Scale Hobby if you like we are friendly group of people devoted to trying to keep the hobby alive.

My Dad still builds, he posts on the site too, even though he's leagally blind. He has macular degeneration, but has adapted quite well.

Ahnko Honu
08-10-2009, 10:10 AM
My UAS replaced my MAS, I probably have about 150 unbuilt WWII models.
My Dad started me early with ukuleles too.
Where is your model builder's forum?

Hidden Character
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey ross, ever build gundam models? XD

For me, I'm usually in school or hanging out with my friends. I'm graduating college next may so it's pretty much time to buckle down and finish :D

rossjr
08-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Yes I do some Gundam models, they are great kits and fun to play with. They are very well engineered.

Ahnko Honu the site is at forums.scalehobby.com, we have a companion site called gallery.scalehobby.com for posting pictures. I have the same handle at those sites too...

ukeyermind
08-10-2009, 11:06 AM

- John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats

Haha. Do you know when he said this? I feel like I might have seen that show.

Sure, that was 6-17-07 at the Zoop fest in NY. It's available on the archive.

mailman
08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
I have two other main interests.... (besides my wife, daughter and 2 grand daughters)....and not including UU....

Juggling. I started thirty years ago, and still love it. I belong to the local Juggling club, and attend several juggling festivals each year.

old VWs. (I consider old to be pre-1968) I have two 1964 Beetles, one of which I've owned since 1988. It is currently in a million pieces in my garage, but the other is still drivable.

Heaven for me would be to be able to throw my ukuleles and my juggling stuff in the VW, along with a laptop, and set off on a major road trip. I'd set my route to catch VW shows, juggling festivals, ukulele festivals, visits with family and friends. Drive and play during the day, play uke and surf UU at night. ;)

uk_e_punk
08-12-2009, 06:44 AM
Im a single Dad of 2 kids who live with me full time and I also work full time.
When I do get any time to myself Im on the web or playing Uke trying to nail and adapt all the old punk stuff I used to be into.
Also like a bit of Texas holdem poker and xbox live
Im taking redundancy at work and finish in September, still havent got a clue what Im going to do yet but hopefully it wont involve working for someone else again.

J-Machine
08-12-2009, 06:51 AM
When I'm not playing uke (which is a lot less often than I'd like) I like to read books on military history, listen to music (old country is the best. 50's or bust right?) I also have an odd fascination with musicals. My favorites are Grease and Dr. Horribles sing-a-long blog.

When I'm not mindlessly going through the various forms of entertainment we have at our disposal these days like youtube, I enjoy writing and Tai Chi.

chanimalcrackers
08-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I enjoy surfing, though I just learned how to swim 2 years ago, watching funny stuff on youtube, eating ridiculous amounts of food after surfing or other activities, playing tennis, and biking. Oh, and I'm a noob at compter RTS games, but a couple of my friends got me started on them, and I've been trying to get better at them. Umm, yeah, I enjoy a good get-together with others anytime!

haolejohn
08-12-2009, 04:32 PM
When I'm not playing uke (which is a lot less often than I'd like) I like to read books on military history, listen to music (old country is the best. 50's or bust right?) I also have an odd fascination with musicals. My favorites are Grease and Dr. Horribles sing-a-long blog.

When I'm not mindlessly going through the various forms of entertainment we have at our disposal these days like youtube, I enjoy writing and Tai Chi.

Hijack Alert!!

You ever read Bravo two-zero by Andy mcnabb
In the company of heros by mike durant
Lone Survivor by marcuss latrell
With the old breed- Sledge (not sure of first name but think J. B.)

All 4 great books that are true. Must read for any military history guy or gal.

Ahnko Honu
08-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Hijack Alert!!

You ever read "Flyboys: a true story of courage" by James Bradley? Awesome read. Same author as "Flags of Our Fathers" another awesome book.

Another interesting read: "Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor" by Robert Stinnett

Ahnko Honu
08-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes I do some Gundam models, they are great kits and fun to play with. They are very well engineered.

Ahnko Honu the site is at forums.scalehobby.com, we have a companion site called gallery.scalehobby.com for posting pictures. I have the same handle at those sites too...

My son's were into Gundam and Macross several years ago too.
Mahalo for the model forum address, i'll go check um out. ;)

haolejohn
08-13-2009, 05:45 AM
You ever read "Flyboys: a true story of courage" by James Bradley? Awesome read. Same author as "Flags of Our Fathers" another awesome book.

Another interesting read: "Day Of Deceit: The Truth About FDR and Pearl Harbor" by Robert Stinnett

Flyboys is my next book to read. I enjoyed flags of our fathers. The day of deciet sounds interesting as well. I'll check it out as well.

J-Machine
08-13-2009, 06:52 AM
Hijack Alert!!

I mostly read from ancient history to the Napoleonic age; focusing on formations, weapons, training and the battles themselves. It's mostly since I get all the modern warfare info I need from the history or discovery channel which often gives good explanations from the people who were there.

But, I've never had a reccomendation that I didn't like so I'll check the library and see if they have em. Thanks a bunch.