Finger exercise tips???

kierannestor

Reaction score
Hey UU peeps,

recently i hurt both of my wrists pretty badly and i cant play uke for 2 weeks and then only minimally for the next month after that so i was wondering if anyone else has been in a situation like me where they cant really play for 6 weeks and did ye do anything to keep your fingers in shape or if anyone has any other suggestions for finger exercises that don't involve much wrist movement also the injury some times affects my thumbs and pinkies so i'm primarily looking for exercises for the 3 other fingers

any help would be appreciated,
cheers

that's a good one dave, on my favorites tab now.

Other things you can try, (they're also a bit fun imo) is rolling a coin over your fingers (I recommend something at least the size of a quarter) like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5AahqCj7MA#t=1m04s
if you can do it with both hands you get a star! ... well not really.
Another important thing is making sure your sense of timing doesn't diminish so to work on both of those you can tap your fingers to music while you listen to it.

Rubber bands.

These exercises helps to strengthen the tiny, stabilizing muscles of your hand, and will also give your fingers a nice stretch without putting stress on your wrist:

Abduction exercise:
Take one band and twist it around your fingers (put around index, then add one or more twists, then loop around next finger, twist, and so on leaving out the thumb, and in your case, possibly the pinky). Then adjust the band so that it is as close to the tips of your fingers as you can get it. The more twists you have the harder it will be. Then spread your fingers apart and hold for a count of 5. Repeat. If this is too easy, even with 4-5 twists in the band, double/triple up on rubber bands.

Extension exercise: (this one puts a bit of stress through the wrist, so play it safe.)
Put band around tip of index finger, twist, then middle finger, twist, then thumb, twist, then ring, twist and finally pinky. Now, spread fingers apart, hold for 3-5 seconds and repeat.

Alternate extension exercise
Put band around tips of all your fingers (without twists between fingers) and spread fingers apart, holding for count of 3-5 seconds- repeat.

Flexion exercise: with band around fingers as in Alt. extension exercise spread fingers apart. Now, trying to keep the rubber band in a triangular shape, bring your index finger down to touch your thumb. Return it, and then touch your thumb with middle, then ring, then pinky. As you alternate, remember to try and keep the rubber band in a triangle.

Last edited:
believe it or not playing the piano helped me alot! long stretches with triads are great!

thanks for all the advice

I was instructed to do some of the exercises mentioned in the japanshakuhachi link but some of the other ones may be helpful after recovery,

I like the rubber bands exercise but the extension one is a bit stressfull so i'll save that for after recovery :)

unfortunetly my hands are also very weak atm due to the injury so the coin rolling one is a no go until after im all healed up.

The cowling one is a bit stressful but I think I can do that every couple of days

I cant use my own gripmaster until after, doctors orders!

and unfortunetly i cant play any instrument for 2 weeks :( or go to the gym or be on the computer too long :(

anyway thanks again these new exercises should keep my fingers in check while my wrists are out of action :D

Top Bottom