How do I get better....

EdLew1s

Reaction score
I've been playing for about 2 weeks and in the first week I got from a complete novice to intermediate.... The only thing is now I'm sorta stuck and don't think I'm really improving???????

HELP!

Don't rush it. You see a lot of improvement at first because you're going from "nothing" to "something" which is 100% overnight.

After that, the progress is more subtle. Just keep up what you're doing and the chords will come easier, your fingers will respond a bit quicker (and stop hurting), and eventually you won't have to think about what your hands are doing, they just do it.

Keep it up, you're doing fine. :shaka:

well, I love this cliche a lot so here it comes:
visualize the action, then actualize the vision

Listen to some other uke music (especially like stuff on youtube where you can see exactly what people are doing) and then figure out what you want to work on from what you like. If its something that you don't think you can work out by yourself, then ask us and if we can't help you we'll sure point you in the right direction.

Practice.

You can do a couple things to make your practice more productive, in the end though you have to put in the time.

Things to make your practice more effective:

Reach; strive to do things a little harder than you are comfortable with. Be careful not to over-reach; that can be counter productive. But always be working on something that is slightly beyond your current capabilities.

Songs You Love; find songs that you love and work on those. You will play more frequently if you like the material.

Repitition; this can be very, very annoying. But work on the same things over and over and over. Even when you think you have something nailed, keep at it. You need it to not just be good—you need it to be automatic. You need to be able to play it without thinking.

Record Yourself; you will notice things when you watch a recording that you didn't notice while playing. This gives you some specific low hanging fruit when deciding what to work on. Further, it will make you more aware of these issues when you are playing.

Hard / New stuff before bed; your brain will replay important things from the day while you sleep—it is like extra practice time! (And I am not just being facetious; there are clinically proven benefits here.) The last half hour before you go to bed gets extra attention… so practice hard and new things right before you turn in.

Just a few tricks I have picked up. Hope this helps. In the end, be patient, keep at it. And post a video in the first video thread!

Practice.

You can do a couple things to make your practice more productive, in the end though you have to put in the time.

Things to make your practice more effective:

Reach; strive to do things a little harder than you are comfortable with. Be careful not to over-reach; that can be counter productive. But always be working on something that is slightly beyond your current capabilities.

Songs You Love; find songs that you love and work on those. You will play more frequently if you like the material.

Repitition; this can be very, very annoying. But work on the same things over and over and over. Even when you think you have something nailed, keep at it. You need it to not just be good—you need it to be automatic. You need to be able to play it without thinking.

Record Yourself; you will notice things when you watch a recording that you didn't notice while playing. This gives you some specific low hanging fruit when deciding what to work on. Further, it will make you more aware of these issues when you are playing.

Hard / New stuff before bed; your brain will replay important things from the day while you sleep—it is like extra practice time! (And I am not just being facetious; there are clinically proven benefits here.) The last half hour before you go to bed gets extra attention… so practice hard and new things right before you turn in.

Just a few tricks I have picked up. Hope this helps. In the end, be patient, keep at it. And post a video in the first video thread!

pretty much what every one has posted is all true.

i like to back up ihavenotea's post because i believe its the most accurate on how you really can be better.

plus, just enjoy your journey to becoming better at your own pace.

ihavenotea defiantly has the idea, remember that those who play a song til they get it right are the ones who end up falling short, those who practice til they can't get it wrong are the ones who excel

i like to back up ihavenotea's post because i believe its the most accurate on how you really can be better.
ihavenotea defiantly has the idea,[…]

Thank you both.

[…], remember that those who play a song til they get it right are the ones who end up falling short, those who practice til they can't get it wrong are the ones who excel

This is my biggest downfall. I often fall into that very trap… I get where I can play it right and start to get bored. That's the hard bit; for me anyway.

Top Bottom