PDA

View Full Version : Welcome, Mr. Rick Turner!

seeso
08-05-2009, 09:58 AM
I am humbled, honored and proud to call Mr. Rick Turner a member of the Ukulele Underground.

Among Rick Turner's many accomplishments - co-founder of Alembic (1970), founder of Rick Turner Guitars (1979), former President of West Coast R&D at Gibson, inventor of the graphite neck, builder of Compass Rose Ukuleles.

Mr. Turner is probably best known for helping to design the first true active electronics to be installed in musical instruments. His first customers included members of the Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, and Crosby, Stills and Nash.

He is a true pioneer in the guitar industry, and loves the 'ukulele.

Please join me in welcoming Rick to the Underground!

ukeshale
08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Welcome! :shaka:

AnnaUK
08-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Welcome Mr Turner :D

ukulelearp
08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Sounds like a cool person. Welcome!

bbycrts
08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome, Rick! I'd love to take the uke building course, but I'd be afraid Ahnko Honu would haunt my house to get my pineapple after I was done!

cashew
08-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Yay Rick! Great to meet you, I look forward to learning all sorts of Uke-y goodness from you :)

Link
08-05-2009, 11:10 AM
Yay Rick! Great to meet you, I look forward to learning all sorts of Uke-y goodness from you :)
Wow! Pimpnesssss!

Ahnko Honu
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
E komo mai, Rick. Come to Hawai'i and let's make a Tasmanian Blackwood pineapple. :shaka::D;)

mrUKETOBER
08-05-2009, 11:15 AM
can you have my babies ?

oh i mean uhh .. WELCOME ! :D

BBcakes
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Welcome Mr. Turner! :bowdown:

ukeyermind
08-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Alembic is legend! You're talking about Owsley Stanley (Bear!), Rick Wishersham, Betty Cantor-Jackson, Dan Healy and Rick Turner.

I read once that The Who would send a guy to Alembic and pour out a bag of guitars that had been busted up onstage and they'd put 'em back together.

so nice to have you among us, Rick.

Rick Turner
08-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Well, it wasn't quite that bad with the Who. I've actually had more damage from Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac...who does own an undamaged Compass Rose uke. A couple of tours ago it got so "out" with LB, that John and Mick started holding up score cards on his guitar tosses. I've got three pegheads from guitars we made that got replaced. Might have to put them up on EBay... Lindsey started playing as a kid on a baritone uke.

One little funny one re. the Who: They would register at hotels under assumed names. John Entwistle went by "Mr. Fitzperfectly." He also traveled with a small road case that was a portable bar. They sure were incredible live...

Glad to have been there doing that and not be doing it anymore. Had my fun, though!

KC8AFW
08-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome Rick. The Underground is a very caring and close-knit community that I'm sure you will enjoy being a part of. I have seen random acts of kindness and generousity here that I have not seen anywhere else...online or otherwise.

Rick Turner
08-05-2009, 12:19 PM
And I do thank you all for the welcome! I'm enjoying the international uke community as much as I've every liked any music scene I've been a part of. I joined the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz several years ago...that was hard (all you have to do is show up!)...and I've not looked back yet!

Tassie blackwood...acacia melanoxylon...very nice stuff, and we actually have it growing here in California. It was brought over about 130 years ago and planted as an ornamental in Southern California. Like a good transportee, it escaped and has worked it's way up the coast. I have build guitars with the local stuff, and will build ukes as well. It tends not to be as figured as you get in Tassie, but it's harder and more rosewood-like than koa. Kind of a best of two worlds wood.

Playscool39
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Also a great and warm welcome from Holland!

generem
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Wow.. Welcome to the Board Mr. Turner

Skrik
08-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Mr. Turner is probably best known for helping to design the first true active electronics to be installed in musical instruments.

That is reason enough to ban him. (I kid, but I don't like active electronics in guitars).

From one n00b to another, welcome Mr Turner.

UkuleleHill
08-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Welcome! Great to have you!

Pippin
08-05-2009, 12:52 PM
And I do thank you all for the welcome! I'm enjoying the international uke community as much as I've every liked any music scene I've been a part of. I joined the Ukulele Club of Santa Cruz several years ago...that was hard (all you have to do is show up!)...and I've not looked back yet!

Tassie blackwood...acacia melanoxylon...very nice stuff, and we actually have it growing here in California. It was brought over about 130 years ago and planted as an ornamental in Southern California. Like a good transportee, it escaped and has worked it's way up the coast. I have build guitars with the local stuff, and will build ukes as well. It tends not to be as figured as you get in Tassie, but it's harder and more rosewood-like than koa. Kind of a best of two worlds wood.

Welcome to the forum. I'd love the opportunity to interview you for Ukulele Player Magazine's Luthier Spotlight.

pithaya9
08-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Welcome to the Underground Rick.

JT_Ukes
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome Welcome Welcome!!!!

Zakulele
08-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Welcome to the UU Mr. Turner.

BrotherUke
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Welcome Rick. This is a wonderful place to spend some time.

Rick Turner
08-05-2009, 01:25 PM
Pippin, happy to chat. If you'd like, I can call you on my Skype-Out line at any time. Send me your number in an email or message here and a good time to call.

Skrik...I do understand not liking electronics, but if you use a pickup and plug in at all, then the only issue becomes that of deciding at which end of the cable your first stage of electronics is located. As far as I'm concerned, any instrument with a pickup is "electric", and so you'd might as well optimize the signal path. That often means at least buffering the pickup from the influence and noise gain of long lengths of cable. Believe me, I do understand how poor on-board electronics can be. I also understand how good they can be and how they solve real problems in the real world. Even someone using a mic has "gone electric"...and some know how to use it to advantage, Bob Brozman and Del Rey being two prime examples. Neither could do the shows they do without relying on electronics to some degree. So it becomes not a matter of whether or not you perform electrically unless you stick to playing in your living room or kitchen or back porch. Once you rely on electricity, you might as well go all out to achieve "acoustic purity"...as paradoxical as that seems. Otherwise, sing through a megaphone and use a Stroh or National uke or a banjo uke!

uluapoundr
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Aloha Mr. Turner! Welcome to UU!!

outsidenote
08-05-2009, 01:48 PM
I met Rick Turner at Merlefest. He is a very nice guy and he let me play his "Bob Hope" Uke. The neck of it one comes from mahogany from Bob Hope's bar. It was awesome. Welcome to the Ukulele Underground.

Rick Turner
08-05-2009, 02:08 PM
Tom, that is the uke that led me to Tasmania. Louise Bell saw the uke being played by Phoebe Hunt, to whom I had loaned it, and then Lou asked Phoebe where it came from. The two of them came back to our D-TAR booth in the sponsor's tent, and the rest is history. With a few minor details missing...

That is my main "player" uke these days, and yes, the neck is mahogany salvaged from Bob Hope's poolside bar in California. My friend Jeff Lunsford remodeled the place and stashed the salvaged wood. I got some, and kept enough for the neck for my own uke. The koa in it was from Doug Dagenhart by way of John Reuter, and it was a piece that was originally to be for a guitar, but it split going through the resaw...split into exactly right for bookmatched top, back and sides for two tenor ukes!

benmealer
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi, Rick! :shaka:

seeso
08-05-2009, 02:17 PM
Tom, that is the uke that led me to Tasmania. Louise Bell saw the uke being played by Phoebe Hunt, to whom I had loaned it, and then Lou asked Phoebe where it came from. The two of them came back to our D-TAR booth in the sponsor's tent, and the rest is history. With a few minor details missing...

That is my main "player" uke these days, and yes, the neck is mahogany salvaged from Bob Hope's poolside bar in California. My friend Jeff Lunsford remodeled the place and stashed the salvaged wood. I got some, and kept enough for the neck for my own uke. The koa in it was from Doug Dagenhart by way of John Reuter, and it was a piece that was originally to be for a guitar, but it split going through the resaw...split into exactly right for bookmatched top, back and sides for two tenor ukes!

Ha ha! Score! One day I hope to be able to check that uke out.

Rick Turner
08-05-2009, 03:45 PM
I'll be totally honest with you. My blinged out hyper figured koa "player" uke is not the best one we've made. It's good...very good, but not the best from a tonal standpoint. I think many luthiers will agree that highly figured koa is beautiful, but not the best top wood on the planet. Most builders I talk to prefer plainer koa for tone, but we are making these to make a living, and that often means making very strong visual statements.

All that does not keep me from loving this uke, but I'm slowly building myself a real tone tenor uke that will have some of Aaron Oya's milo for the back and sides and a beautiful old-growth redwood top. I'm also going to make myself either a full eight string taropatch or a six string uke in Brazilian rosewood and Adirondack spruce. That combo has made for some really great ukes here.

I made a spruce/milo uke for my friend, Louise, and that one is a killer sounding instrument. I also put a side port in it, and that's a really nice feature for a uke.

So far I've gone with Western red cedar for the tops of the 4 Day Pineapple ukes, and I've been very, very happy with the tone of every one so far. We've made tenors with spruce, western red cedar, and redwood tops, and they are all very good.

We have to be careful not to listen with our eyes too much.

Steiner
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Welcome Mr. Turner,

Can I have this ukulele for free

Compass Rose Lacy Sycamore (http://www.theblueguitar.com/item.php?item_id=121)

Just kidding (sort of) you make unbelievable instruments.

CoffeeMate
08-05-2009, 03:59 PM
A very warm welcome to you. Glad to have ya :D

UkeNukem
08-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Welcome Rick, UU attracts the cream of musicians, :bowdown:

And sediment like me! :biglaugh:

Providence
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM
Welcome to the board Rick! Its great to have you on the board. I love The Who haha.